• April 20th @ The Blue Jays

Posted by on April 20th, 2005 · Comments (8)

Carl Pavano is starting to remind me of a right-handed version of Andy Pettitte. Both of them have that Betty Davis eyes thing going at times. Both of them are big body pitchers that you would expect to throw harder than they really do chuck. Their uni numbers are close – 45 now for Carl, 46 then for Andy. And, it seems like they are alike in the sense that they’re capable of throwing a great game or a hosting Tee-ball session. I know many were down on the signing of Pavano based on the “one-year wonder” theory. But, I think I’m going to like him – as I did Pettitte.

Joe T in the post-game said that Big Rube will be a few days with the bicep strain. Now that Bernie’s knee is barking – and we can thank Torre for that expression, we never used it before he was here – it could be interesting over the next week or so if an OF goes down or gets tossed from a game. We might see Womack do some emergency OF time.

Those electronic signs on the OF fences at the SkyDome/Rogers Centre are like a nightmare after watching “Bladerunner” and then taking cold medicine. Please, please, please, Big Stein, do not put them in the new Stadium in the Bronx!

Comments on April 20th @ The Blue Jays

1. Ed Rubinstein
      April 20th, 2005 | 11:21 pm

Scubs, its Bette Davis, not Betty Davis!

2. April 21st, 2005 | 7:20 am

E – Lombardi (spelling, on Bette)
      There goes the Gold Glove………..

3. April 21st, 2005 | 10:35 am

Steve, I just wrote exactly that (Pavano ~ Pettitte) to Alex on email before following the link he gave me to your new blog. Good stuff, I couldn’t agree more. Also word to the Scooter.

4. April 21st, 2005 | 11:24 am

Thanks Cliff! Great minds think alike! :-)

5. April 21st, 2005 | 5:44 pm

“Please, please, please, Big Stein, do not put them in the new Stadium in the Bronx!”

Please, please, please, Big Stein, DO put them in the new Stadium in the Bronx!…this way Bernie Williams (yes, he will still be the Yankees starting CF in 2009) can run into the void and disappear like Tina Miller in the “Little Girl Lost” episode of The Twilight Zone…

glove up…glove out…glove empty.

6. Mike
      April 21st, 2005 | 5:47 pm

Regarding the screens on the outfield fences of the Rogers Centre (I don’t understand why they couldn’t have just called it Rogers Field), I have been to two games so far this season (including last nights) and on both occasions have noticed the ball getting “lost” in the screens. It would seem that the problem could be solved by changing the background to dark blue to match the walls instead of that overbright green. I’d be willing to bet they will do that by the All-Star break.

Regarding the game itself, it looked very solid. I was a bit worried when the first batter of the game ripped a hit down the third base line and A-Rod didn’t make an effort (didn’t even flinch), but my worries proved unfounded. All in all, good game.

7. April 21st, 2005 | 8:39 pm

Rogers Centre because there’s a theater and a bunch of other multi-purpose stuff going on. The “Centre” has a web site. I’ll save Steve the ugly link in his comments.

March 3rd, 2014 | 10:02 pm

Steve L. wrote:

And both are retired

“Despite my strong desire to compete and hard work in preparing for the upcoming season,” said Pavano. “I feel that the amount of time lost from my spleen injury, coupled with the recovery from my complications from that injury, preclude me from continuing to compete at my highest level, which is necessary to perform in the major leagues.” He went on to add that “three months of rigorous training have failed to produce the results that I was looking for to allow me to continue my major league career.”