• The Ceremonial First Pitch

Posted by on April 20th, 2005 · Comments (8)

Up until the time I was 34 years old, I had the pleasure of listening to Phil Rizzuto broadcast New York Yankees games. For those who cannot do the math, the Scooter did Yankees games from 1957 through 1996 and I was born in 1962.

Talking about some long-term baseball announcer, someone once said (and I think it was Bob Costas but I could be wrong) that the announcer’s voice was the male voice that was most heard in their house after his father. Listening to Phil for nearly a quarter-century, it was something like that for myself as well.

Phil was always entertaining to me. And, one of the items (with respect to his coverage) that always stayed with me was his habit of scrawling “WW” on his scorecard for plate appearances where he “wasn’t watching.”

As a result, when I decided to start a Yankees-focused Weblog, almost out of the chute, I thought that WasWatching.com would be an appropriate handle. After all, my intent for this blog is to provide running commentary, personal musings, and the like, on the Yankees. In order to do this, I will have to do the opposite of “WW” – meaning that I have to watch what is going on.

Paying (in a way) some homage to the Scooter in the naming process is the icing on the cake. Or, should I say that’s the powdered sugar on the cannoli? I could go on some more about this; but, I want to beat the bridge traffic. Check in soon for some more good stuff.

Comments on The Ceremonial First Pitch

1. Wahoo Sam
      April 21st, 2005 | 10:34 am

Steve

Site looks good – writing looks even better. Congratulations! Now when is your book coming out?

Being a Canadian, I grew up with Tom Cheek’s soothing lazy voice on the radio – he got my vote for HoF broadcaster last year. Amazing what an impression a broadcaster makes on you.

My only experience with the Scooter is on a Meat Loaf album!

2. April 21st, 2005 | 11:22 am

Thanks.
      Some day, some day, on the book………
      On the Scooter/Meatloaf thing – the really cool part is that he’s doing PBP on himself – it was a film clip of him “really making things happen.”

3. Wahoo Sam
      April 21st, 2005 | 11:27 am

Wow

I did not know that!

4. April 21st, 2005 | 11:30 am

Congratulations, Steve. The site looks good.

Looking forward to reading about your fasballs and change of paces to go along with your sliders.

5. April 21st, 2005 | 12:10 pm

Thanks Rich! Being a Yankee-focused blog, you might even get a “La Lob” once in a while too.

6. rbj
      April 21st, 2005 | 2:27 pm

I’ve got fond memories of the Scooter too. (born 1964) Rather than constantly dissect the game, he told you where the best canolis were. It was like being at a game with a friend, where you talk about things and oh, yea, there’s something happening on the field too. Mad up for a bunch of crappy teams.

7. April 21st, 2005 | 5:11 pm

For a long time, he (and White) were the reason to tune in.

8. April 26th, 2005 | 10:43 am

Don’t forget about the birthdays. And should the Yankees get a hit during a birthday announcement . . . fughedaboudit, those birthdays would come out of the woodwork to sustain the rally.