So many random thoughts on this game………
1. Welcome to the big leagues, Andy Phillips. It must be painful to make that quick, acute, left turn 5 times in a row. Could have been worse – ask Torre. I believe he actually hit into four DPs in a game once.
2. On Bernie – Now that the secret is out on his elbow, the Yankees are going to have to go out and get a CF. Or, move Bernie to LF and play Matsui in CF for the rest of the year. I could see them pulling something like 2000, when they got Justice and no one saw it coming. Whatever they do, let’s hope it turns out as well as Justice did in 2000.
3. Mussina, Gordon, and Mo looked good tonight – although Moose didn’t actually overpower anyone (2 Ks) and this was the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
4. Related to the above, NY got only one ER in 6 innings off Kazmir and then took advantage of Harper in the 8th, and later got blown away by Baez in the 9th. Take away some of the gifts in the 8th and the Yankees just managed to score three against TB.
5. Notice all that Japanese rotating signage behind home plate? That’s two years in a row (at least). Lotta Japanese people in Tampa? I doubt it. That’s TB taking advantage of the Matsui factor and these games going to Japan.
6. Speaking of ads, I saw the A-Rod/Vlad Pepsi commercial for the first time tonight. Smart picks by Pepsi. Plays to the Latin crowd. Covers both west and east coast. And, applies to baseball fans. Lets just hope there’s no Pepsi whammy thing. Didn’t Giambi and Sosa do a Pepsi commercial once?
7. Man, the stands in TB looked empty tonight. They had thirteen-two. It reminded me of the scenes of Knights games during The Natural when they would show the stands – before Roy Hobbs started to play.
Prediction: A good game from Kevin Brown tomorrow. Again, let us not forget, this is Tampa Bay that we’re talking about.