• May 7th vs. The A’s

Posted by on May 7th, 2005 · Comments (13)

Today, ladies and gentlemen, Mike Mussina stepped up.
    Not as big as Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS or Game 3 of the 2001 ALDS. But, in terms of stepping up for a game on May 7th, Moose came through with a game today as big as one could hope for – and then some.

Granted, these are the 2005 Oakland A’s – and they’re not exactly an offensive to make you want to cry “Mommy!” But, Mussina did something today that we do not see a lot of in Yankeeland: A complete game shutout victory.

When you factor in the losing streak, the way the team has been playing, and who is pitching tomorrow for New York – oh, and the facts that the Yankees have several slumping hitters, a bullpen full of arsonists, and a closer that was not available today – then coming through with a shutout this afternoon is a huge, huge, effort.

Attaboy Moose. You don’t step up all the time. But, when you do, it’s memorable!

Comments on May 7th vs. The A’s

1. May 7th, 2005 | 8:59 pm

I think you mean Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS.

He looked really good today. It was nice to finally see him hitting into the 90s on the (highly inaccurate) YES radar gun.

I hope this is what we finally need to get going, but then again we have Brown going tomorrow… Maybe he’ll not have the first-inning arsonist routine.

2. May 7th, 2005 | 11:17 pm

Thanks Clay. Yes, I meant 2003. (Since corrected.) I was there on 10/16/03 – I should remember the right year!

And, if Brown does pitch well tomorrow, it just might be the start of a streak for us! Fingers crossed.

3. May 7th, 2005 | 11:26 pm

Yes, I was there, too. Upper deck, second section, near the right field foul pole. What a great game. I’ve been soooo lucky as a fan these past few years.

I know Brown still has it in him to pitch well. Obviously, if you hand pick innings you can make anyone into Cy Young, but Brown’s ERA for innings 3 and higher for the three games he had rough starts is 2.45. Of course the problem is that 36.00 ERA in innings 1 and 2…

4. Phil
      May 8th, 2005 | 1:42 am

since Rivera has trouble in the 8th and 9th these days…maybe he should pitch the first and second and let Brown come in for the rest! :)

5. May 8th, 2005 | 10:50 am

Clay, and others, re: G7 ’03, you might enjoy something I did the AM after…..

6. Phil
      May 8th, 2005 | 1:03 pm

my birthday is 10/17…and I too was at Game 7 in 2003…in fact since 1995- my birthday and the Yankees post season have almost become synonomous

2nd greatest birthday of all time (21st b-day still the best)

Also- Yankees clinched against the Mariners on 10/17…that was the David Justice HR game when they were down going into the 7th I believe

Game time in 1 minute…my Kevin Brown line Prediction…

6IP 4R 9H 2BB’s 3K’s

7. May 8th, 2005 | 5:09 pm

Phil – we have something in common, sorta/kinda. My wedding anny is 10/17 – and I was there for the Justice HR game in the ALCS too – - – upper, upper deck, behind HP, with my wife (who gave me the tkts as an anny gift). That was awesome – but, G7 ’03 topped that later.

8. May 8th, 2005 | 7:19 pm

Hah! I was at the Justice game, too! Pretty much in the same section, too: upper deck, behind home.

My only birthday game was a doozy – October 31, 2001. I was there the next night, too…

Holy hell, I’ve been lucky.

9. May 8th, 2005 | 7:42 pm

It’s a small world!!!

I had a nice LCS streak going, for a while – I was at the clinchers in 2000, 2001 and 2003.

I was also at G6 last year. I was so depressed after the game, I sold my G7 tkts to my friend Dave – at face value. I should have sold them to some Sox fan for $1000 and seeded my kids college fund instead!

10. Jen
      May 8th, 2005 | 7:52 pm

A lot of October b-days around here. My 21st was a good one (10/23/96). It was the Leyritz homer game. 2003 sucked though. They managed to lose 2 games in one day, games 4 (which finished after midnight) & 5. Let’s hope my 30th b-day will be a better one.

11. May 8th, 2005 | 10:45 pm

Sometimes I think the Leyritz HR in 1996 was the trigger for a lot of good things that followed the next 7 years. Must be cool to have it as a birthday present!

12. Phil
      May 8th, 2005 | 11:35 pm

Joe Buck….10/23/96…..

“Back..at the track..at the wall..we are tied”

I will never ever forget that call on Leyritz’s 3 run HR. I agree- it was the start of an incredible decade in Yankee Land

It’s the 90′s version of “Deep to left…..”

13. May 9th, 2005 | 11:31 am