• Mike Mussina’s Game On 9/01/01

Posted by on May 9th, 2005 · Comments (10)

From Opening Day 1998 through the final out of the 2000 World Series, things pretty much went the Yankees way.

The start of the 2001 regular season was a positive for the Yankees as well. In fact, at the close of 8/31/01, New York was in 1st place with a record of 79-56 (leading the Red Sox by 7 games).

Then, on September 1, 2001, Mike Mussina came within one strike of throwing the first perfect game in the history of Fenway Park. The Sox’ Carl Everett, as a pinch-hitter, broke it up.

Since that hit, things started going against the Yankees. There was the Mo meltdown in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series. Then, in 2002, the Yanks were tarred and feathered by the Angels in the ALDS. The next year, New York had the huge letdown in the 2003 World Series against the Marlins. And, by now, everyone knows the story of the 2004 ALCS.

You know, it was Carl Everett who gave Dan Shaughnessy (who wrote The Curse of the Bambino) the less-than-affectionate nickname “CHB” that Red Sox Nation loves to use for Shaughnessy. Could the curse have been transferred to the Yankees with that Everett hit somehow?

OK, I know that’s a reach. But, whenever I think about Mussina’s game on 9/1/01, it always seems as if that game is a marker for where the good-luck road started to turn for the recent Yankees champions.

And, I have to wonder, what if Moose had gotten that last strike?

Comments on Mike Mussina’s Game On 9/01/01

1. May 9th, 2005 | 11:57 am

I was at that game in Fenway. But, you know, Aaron Boone’s dinger came more than two years after that.

2. May 9th, 2005 | 12:33 pm

Wow – What was it like being there in person Cliff?

I know about Boone, and the Jeter flip too in 2001. I figure that they were just teases that make the flops later more painful.

3. Phil
      May 9th, 2005 | 1:35 pm

sure- its a good place to benchmark…but I dont think this is cause and effect.

If moose got the perfect game….the yankees would have went onto the world series, played 7 memorable games and lost on a blooper to deep short

4. May 9th, 2005 | 3:49 pm

I cannot think of a player on the Red Sox, or in all of baseball for that matter, that I’d less want to break up a Yankee pitcher’s no-hitter. Ugh.

5. May 9th, 2005 | 3:58 pm

There’s a reason why he played with 7 teams in an 11 year span. Lots of people learned not to like him.

6. May 10th, 2005 | 10:00 am

Believe it or not that remains the only game I’ve ever attended at Fenway. It was great (which may be an understatement). Remember, he was starting against Cone, and Cone shut out the Yanks through (7? 8? Enrique Wilson, of all people, finally got the RBI hit that broke that up), so it was a very close game, but it was all Mussina and as the game went on the electricity in the Park got to be ridiculous. I was in fair territory in RF and got some nice snap shots of Moose warming up before hand because I was able to walk right up to the Yankee bullpen. By the 4th or 5th I whipped out the Yankee cap I was initially afraid to wear and by the 7th/8th I was cheering very loudly.

7. May 10th, 2005 | 11:22 am

I used to think that if I ever got to Fenway, I would not wear my Yankee cap. But, after seeing all the Sox caps at the Stadium these past few years – and the Boston jeresy tops too – I think now I would have to wear my Yankee cap at Fenway – just to get even!

8. Jen
      May 10th, 2005 | 11:55 am

Steve, I would be wary of wearing a Yankees cap that you’re especially attached to, just in case it gets ripped off your head or something.

9. JJay
      May 10th, 2005 | 12:21 pm

I live in Boston and I go to Yankees games at Fenway all the time. Well, not as much as before because it’s so damn hard to get tickets but I go decked out in complete Yanks gear. F ‘em. I’m not gonna let them intimidate me and their are usually quite a few other brave Yankees fans there as well.

I will say that it has gotten a lot worse over the past 3 or 4 years though.

10. May 10th, 2005 | 4:48 pm

Thanks Jen – actually, that happened to a friend of mine there once – they snatched his hat and ran off with it on him.

JJay – just imagine how bad it’s this year after the last ALCS!