• May 14th @ The A’s

Posted by on May 15th, 2005 · Comments (6)

Just one more win until .500! Poor Unit – going tomorrow, day game after a night game where the Yanks scored fifteen. You know they’re going to only score 2 runs tomorrow, uh, I mean later today. That’s the way it always goes.

Kudos to the A’s fan for fingering the buffoon who threw the beer at Giambi (who now has his BA up to an even .200!) in the top of the 8th. Imagine having seats that great – right on the dugout – and doing something that stupid. Dude, just enjoy being that close to a major league baseball game. (Whoops, I forgot. Make that half-a-major-league-game. The way the A’s are playing these days is not exactly big league.) There really ought to be a way to make sure someone like this brew-tossing bozo never gets to go to a game again – - but, I know that’s not possible.

I wish I could bottle a film clip of that shot YES had in the 5th when Posada homered – the reaction of Jeter and A-Rod in the dugout. And, then I could show that to the next person who wants to make the claim that the relationship between Derek and Alex is chilled and forced. Yeah, right.

Lastly, I laughed out loud when David Justice said “Thank God!” to the mention of how quickly he was traded away from the Mets before ever playing for them. I really wish Kay and Kenny had asked to expand on that. But, they did the right thing by not allowing their partner to get himself in a bad spot.

Comments on May 14th @ The A’s

1. Rafael
      May 15th, 2005 | 1:11 am

I didn’t get to see the game…what did Jeter and Rodriguez do?

2. Jen
      May 15th, 2005 | 1:43 am

I was thinking the same thing on the Jeter/Rodriguez thing.

Rafael, the best I can describe it is it was like when you go to the stadium with a friend and someone hits a long fly ball. You’re not sure if it’s going out or not but you just stand up and freeze there with your hand on their shoulder in anticipation waiting for the ball to hopefully make it over the wall. And then it does and you celebrate. That’s what it reminded me of anyway.

I’m sure Steve or someone else can explain it better but at this hour it’s the best I can do.

3. May 15th, 2005 | 8:26 am

Jen does a great job on this. They’re sitting on the bench, very close to each other (Jeter to the left and A-Rod to the right, if you were facing them) and when Jorge made contact, they both stopped what they were doing and started turning their heads in the direction of the ball, at the same time, while beginning to stand up together to get a better view. And, in the process, Jeter had his hand on Alex’s shoulder – and, then when it was clear that it was a homerun, their positive reaction with each other was much like you and your best bud would have at the game.

If this were the post-season or something, you could say “It was because of what was at stake” – but, this was a blow-out in May in Oakland. The kinship and camaraderie there was legit – no question (at least in my mind).

4. Jason O.
      May 16th, 2005 | 11:42 am

First, Ken Singleton seems like the kind of guy who you’d want to play a round of golf with.

Michael Kay is OK, but all announcers suffer by comparison because on many nights Vin Scully is just a click away on MLB in-demand.

I kind of like Justice, but his comments during 5/14 re: Moneyball were incorrect. All teams, regardless of their offensive philosophy, rely on good pitching.

5. May 17th, 2005 | 8:10 am

You’ve reminded me of something that I want to blog about – maybe I can get to it later. Thanks for the reminder.

6. May 17th, 2005 | 7:46 pm

Eric Anduri – the guy who threw the beer at Jason – is the son of Lafayette (CA) mayor Carl Anduri. Love it. Explains how he got those seats. Betcha Paris Hilton wants to meet him now.