• May 18th @ The Mariners

Posted by on May 19th, 2005 · Comments (10)

It had to end sometime.

You just cannot win everyday. And, after winning 10 in a row, you knew it was coming soon. Actually, earlier on Wednesday, I thought to myself “If they lose today, it won’t be the worst thing. You don’t want to go into the Mets series being due for a loss. Maybe it’s better to get it out of your system and then be hungry for another win when you start up at Shea?”

But, when I saw the last 3 starts stats on YES for Mussina and Moyer at the beginning of the game last night – where Moose was lights-out and Moyer had an Opp BA over .500 and an ERA over 16 – I thought “OK, 11 in a row is good too.” And, then, it happened.

I went to bed last night ’round midnight after five with the Yankees winning 6-4 and thinking good thoughts. Then, this AM, I woke up, flipped on ESPN News on the box, and saw that Seattle won the game, and “L: Gordon (0-3)” scrolled by and I thought “Oh, great.” Then, I got on-line and read the recap on ESPN.com.

I’m glad I missed the 6th where Posada and Sheffield decided to sample some of the greatest hits from the days Tin Glove Alley – after two outs! – to allow the M’s to score two and then tie the game.

And, I’m really glad I missed where Gordon later gives up the two out hit in the 8th to Miguel Olivo (thanks a lot Kevin Millar) to break the tie.

Even after this, the Yankees managed to load the bases with two outs in the 9th…..but Giambi Ks looking on an 0-2 pitch to end the game. And, if that’s not bad enough, we see this quote from the MVP-turned-human-version-of-the-last-shot-out-of-a-roman-candle: “I got caught looking slider and he threw a fastball.”

Jason, it was an 0-2 pitch with two outs and the bags full and the game on the line……..and you’re pitch guessing? My stars, are you that bad of a ballplayer? Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your brain, and, this is your brain on steroids. Scary.

At least I didn’t say up to watch it live.

So, now, instead of riding the high of an 11-game winning streak, the Yankees have to make a long plane ride home from the west coast thinking about the win they gave away in ugly fashion, and then sit on that all-day today as they return to New York, trying to bounce back from the time-difference. And, then they get to strap it on for the Mets on Friday. And, who’s on the mound for the Yanks?

Kevin Brown.

I have to stop now before I break the keyboard.

Comments on May 18th @ The Mariners

1. JJay
      May 19th, 2005 | 9:19 am

Not only did he go down looking, he didn’t swing the bat once during all three pitches! Son of a…! Are you kidding me?

2. Jason O.
      May 19th, 2005 | 9:41 am

Remember the days when you wanted Giambi up in that situation??

3. hopbitters
      May 19th, 2005 | 10:28 am

Torre : Hey, the man was on a six-game hitting streak. You have to go with the hot hand. I looked over at Tino on the bench with his 1.29 OPS and 3 HR in the past week, and I thought, hm…I bet this would be good for Jason’s confidence. Besides, he was just working a walk.

4. May 19th, 2005 | 11:11 am

We just won 10 in a row! Swept the A’s! Took two out of three against the Mariners! Cheer up! We had a chance to go to 11 games if it weren’t for Posada’s and Sheffield’s errors to tie it.

By the way, that was Olivio’s only hit of the series, so he wasn’t exactly lighting it up since his talk with Millar.

Also, I’m shocked, shocked, that there’s no mention of Giambi’s line drive single that drove in two runs, but only his strikeout to end the game. I’m sure it doesn’t count because it was off Moyer and Suzuki should have caught it anyway, right?

5. May 19th, 2005 | 11:21 am

It’s the way the world works. You don’t get credit for doing what you’re supposed to do – only noise when you fail.

6. JJay
      May 19th, 2005 | 11:23 am

I definitely give Giambi credit for the 2-RBI single but to not SWING THE BAT in that situation is unacceptable. At least ground out or pop it up or something. SWING at least once.

7. Jason O.
      May 19th, 2005 | 11:40 am

10 in a row was necessary just to get back into the division race. As Winston Wolf (Keitel) says in Pulp Fiction: “Gentlemen, let’s not start sucking each others’ d**** yet.”

8. Phil
      May 19th, 2005 | 2:29 pm

Steve- and what if Giambi was pitch guessing for a slider, got one, and he lined a single to right.

Would we still be criticizing him?

The expression here is- “Rome was not (re-)built in a day!”…

9. May 19th, 2005 | 3:26 pm

If “ifs” and “buts” were candy and nuts, wouldn’t it be a Merry Christmas?

10. May 19th, 2005 | 3:28 pm

OK, Phil, besides my flip comment…..
      I’m more ticked that Giambi is guessing in that spot than I am because he failed. You don’t guess 0-2, you protect. At least, a good hitter would.