• May 20th @ The Mets

Posted by on May 20th, 2005 · Comments (7)

Back during the early evening of April 7th, I heard a caller to the Michael Kay Show on ESPN Radio (1050 AM in NYC) say “Kaz Matsui has more balls pass through his legs than Paris Hilton.” I now see what he meant. I’m glad he decided to let some more pass through tonight.

For 8 innings tonight, it looked like the Yankees were going to need some luck to stay with them to win this game. What were they, something like, 1 for 15 with RISP through eight (and they still had a lead)? And, the only word to describe Jeter’s all-around play tonight is horrific. (I wonder if his left knee, which he did something to in Seattle while batting, is bothering him?)

But, thanks to a little 9th inning action and a sharp Mo, it’s a “W.” Whew.

Speaking of “Whew!” – am I the only one who was holding his breath to make sure A-Rod was OK after that ugly dive back into 1B in the 9th to avoid being doubled-up? He’s a big man to be throwing his body around like that. That was too close for me.

Lastly, back in Spring Training, I thought that Ruben Sierra looked about 6 months PG. Looking at him tonight, I’d say he’s at least 30 pounds overweight. I’m calling it now – he’ll be back on the DL at least once before the All-Star break. The Yankees better think about getting another back-up OF on the team who is capable with the bat – just in case.

Comments on May 20th @ The Mets

1. May 20th, 2005 | 11:40 pm

And not a slugging OF but one that can play the field. 1B and 2b should be platooned…except their all lefties…Womack and Cano need to stay in the lineup

2. Jen
      May 20th, 2005 | 11:41 pm

I never really worry much about Rodriguez throwing his body around. He’s a big guy, but probably one of the more physically fit players in the game. When he took out that catcher last year (was it against Tampa Bay?) you could see that he’s not the kind of guy that will go down easy. It’s guys like Jeter I worry about, the lanky ones that aren’t as big. I just see them as more fragile for some reason.

May 21st, 2005 | 3:10 am

I’d say let Williams be the full-time DH, or let him play LF.

No one down in Columbus that would fit the 4th OF profile?

Rickey says someone should give Rickey a call :)

4. May 21st, 2005 | 7:06 am

The Clippers OF scene is ugly – that’s why they took Russ Johnson the last time they needed a body.

5. hopbitters
      May 21st, 2005 | 10:32 am

What’s a trackback ping?

6. Don
      May 21st, 2005 | 2:26 pm

That dive back into first concerned me as well, see Vlad Guerrero last night. But what exactly was he thinking, being that far off base in the first place? He was close to being out and the run may not have scored. Dumb.

7. May 21st, 2005 | 4:39 pm

hopbitters – it’s a blog thing – just a bell and whistle, really.