• May 24th vs. The Tigers

Posted by on May 24th, 2005 · Comments (17)

Tonight: Mussina = chain saw, and, Tigers = butta.
    Game = Th-uh-uh-uh-uh Yank-eeeees Win!

Boom, Boom, Boom,
    Yankees bats were in tune.
    They were raking tonight,
    and it led to a fight.

Well, sort of – that is. On that stuff in the 7th and 8th, I must say, while three weeks ago I was on Quantrill, I’m now doing the 180 on “Q”. This evening, he won me over. I want him on my team. Good job Paul. Attaboy.

Related, in a roundabout way, this might just be the year that Joe D’s record of most big flies by a RH batter in the ‘stripes (46 in 1937) bites the dust. A-Rod is throwing some serious lumber these days. As long as Alex keeps pumping, we’re going to need someone to protect him from teams playing the old “Hit Slugger, Avoid HR, Win Cupie Doll” game.

OK, now, on to one gripe and one less serious comment.

The moan: Giambi comes out of this game in the 5th inning – the first “regular” to be lifted? Huh? Excuse me, but, doesn’t he need ABs? Or, is he already back to form and can use the rest? Yikes.

The happy ending: I finally figured out who Russ Johnson reminds me of – - it’s Bobby Hill. No, not the ballplayer with the Cubs and Pirates. Bobby Hill, the son from King of the Hill – assuming he grew up to be a baseball player. Same body type. Kinda like if Ron Cey and Greg Luzinski had a baby.

PS – anyone notice that the Yankees are 13-6 since Robinson Cano was called up?

Comments on May 24th vs. The Tigers

1. Jen
      May 24th, 2005 | 11:51 pm

I heard that Rodriguez was one of or maybe the only Yankee who had more than one at bat against Ledezma before tonight and both of those were home runs. Does anyone know if this is true or was I just hallucinating?

As I was sitting in the rain and cold I just kept thinking of that retractable roof and how nice it would be. But some weird part of me would also miss those times like tonight where they give everyone a freebie to another game for sticking it out in the rain.

2. Sean
      May 25th, 2005 | 12:12 am

Jen, before tonite’s game, Arod was 2 for 2 against Ledezma and both of them were HR. so 4 HR against 1 pitcher in 4AB

3. Jen
      May 25th, 2005 | 12:32 am

Thanks Sean.

4. Jason O.
      May 25th, 2005 | 10:11 am

“An “F” in English?? Bobby, you SPEAK English!!”
      -Hank Hill

Quantrill’s from Ontario: He probably played hockey growing up, where the concept of protecting your teammates is Canada’s Golden Rule.

Where’s Tino? I didn’t even see him in the dugout last night. 12HRs, .588 SLG, sitting on the bench.

5. May 25th, 2005 | 10:22 am

Q is a hockey player by heart. It probably had a lot to do with his actions.

6. Jen
      May 25th, 2005 | 10:29 am

Tino came in to run for Rodriguez after he got hit and then went in to play first. (he’s actually one of the guys that pulled Quantrill away from the Tigers.) He didn’t get an AB though.

May 25th, 2005 | 11:03 am

it was a stupid move by Q (the first pitch I thought got away from him; it happens). I was hoping the Tiger bench would take him up on his offer to “bring it on.” Maybe once he gets dropped on his pitching shoulder he would learn a smarten up?

The whole idea of “protecting your own players” in baseball is poppycock. German isn’t known for his control; he tried pitching inside, and the pitch got away from him.

And to Mr. Kaat, I’d like him to look at the numbers in the NL (where they don’t have the DH and pitchers can face the music :rolleyes:), and look at the HBP of those who have a reputation as “headhunters.” He’d be suprised, I’m sure.

8. Jason O.
      May 25th, 2005 | 11:22 am

Re: Dmitri Young’s hot air last night:
      -Laying out defenseless catchers in the Spring is not “tough.”
      -Talking smack after the game is not “tough.”
      These are the acts of insecure bullies.
      Performing at the plate and in the field for your team is “tough.”

9. JJay
      May 25th, 2005 | 12:26 pm

German didn’t come close to hitting anyone else, good control or not. And he hit the guy with two homeruns in the game.

I’m glad Q did what he did and I’m glad that after he failed on his first attempt he came back and drilled him. He got done what he intended to do.

May 25th, 2005 | 3:41 pm

ok… Lets try to think this through

Why didn’t Ledesma drill ARod?

If it were about “getting revenge” why wasn’t Posada, who batted after ARod, and had two HR’s as well, not drilled or knocked down? No warnings had been issued at the time

Why would someone get drilled after their previous AB was a walk?

ARod has good off-field power. To negate this (or at least try to), you have to pitch him inside, so that he doesn’t extend his arms to go the other way. Look at the highlights, look at where the catcher sets up. It was a legit pitch that got away from German.

It doesn’t make any sense

11. JJay
      May 25th, 2005 | 3:44 pm

“Why didn’t Q go after Inge? He led off the inning (like ARod did), and he plays 3B (like ARod does). Why wait until the scrub IF’er comes up to bat?

It doesn’t make any sense”

He waited til there were 2 outs which makes perfect sense.

12. Jen
      May 25th, 2005 | 4:27 pm

“Why didn’t Ledesma drill ARod?”

Maybe he just doesn’t do that sort of thing, like Mussina. Maybe German is the type of guy that would take it upon himself to hit a someone, like Quantrill.

I kind of wish he hit Young though.

13. May 25th, 2005 | 4:31 pm

German does have that Armando Benitez type look to me……in terms of hitting batters. I have an idea that I want to check. BRB.

14. May 25th, 2005 | 4:39 pm

Like 100 years ago, I tried to come up with a stat that showed who were the pitchers who threw at hitters. See: http://www.netshrine.com/brushback.html

If you look at German coming into this season, his BBA is like .091. He very well could have been trying to come inside and hit A-Rod be accident.

15. May 25th, 2005 | 4:54 pm

May 25th, 2005 | 5:58 pm

“He waited til there were 2 outs which makes perfect sense.” – The game was already out of hand @ 11-0. Drilling Inge and putting him on base means nothing

But, that said, if I burn your house down – albeit on purpose or by accident, I should be held responsible and have to pay for it in some way………no? – Getting hit is part of the game. Hell, a couple of weeks ago, I hit 4 batters in a game (or was it 5?). Asked them if they were ok, apologized and continued the game. When I batted, I wasn’t thrown at, no one felt the “need” to “protect” their players/teammates. I suspect (suppose?) these guys do the same. Head over to the clubhouse and hash it out there. The whole idea of an “eye for an eye” is childish. And doesn’t even apply to this situation because 1. There’s a DH (not that a short reliever would come to bat)
      2. Even in the NL there doesn’t seem to be a high rate of “revenge HBP’s.” Don Drysdale hit 154 batters over his career, he was hit 5 times. Bob Gibson hit 102 batters, he was hit 8. You would think those numbers would be a bit closer. Or were players not “protecting” each other back then?

Pitching inside is part of the game. Getting hit because someone comes inside is part of the game. If hitters don’t like it, I’d suggest that they either close that hole in their swing, or pick up another sport, like slo-pitch softball.

Steve, you ought to put a link to WW on the ‘Shrine.

Ledezma didn’t hit Rodriguez because he never faced him a third time. One homer doesn’t beget a HBP. That said, I don’t think German meant to do it. – You’re right; Ginter gave up the walk, German the HBP.

May 25th, 2005 | 6:00 pm