• May 28th vs. The Red Sox

Posted by on May 28th, 2005 · Comments (8)

Different year.

Same story.

Once again, New York had the Red Sox flat on the ground with their pinstriped boot lodged tightly on the Bostonian’s neck. But, instead of maintaining pressure until the Sox’ life-force faded to black, the Yankees knelt down, pressed their lips on that of their foe, and administrated the kiss of life.

Will this repeated failure to go for the jugular again lead to great despair? Tune in tomorrow.

Then again, maybe I just take this stuff too seriously?

Comments on May 28th vs. The Red Sox

1. May 28th, 2005 | 4:56 pm

Yes, yes you do. It’s the second game of a series in May. There was no foot on the juggler, and no kiss of life. Just a crappy game by the Yankee pitchers. Series is tied.

2. JeremyM
      May 28th, 2005 | 6:09 pm

Gotta take Cliff’s side here. While the loss was brutal and stinks, we didn’t have our foot on the jugular here. If we win tomorrow, it’ll be a bad loss and nothing more.

3. May 28th, 2005 | 11:08 pm

This is pretty much why I said “tune in tomorrow” – because the outcome of that game, IMHO, will tell us the impact of this game.

My point on the game today…….Boston had lost more than a few games lately, some ugly, and slipped in the standings. Their players were beginning to lament about their play. They came to NY and had their best Yankee-killer on the mound, and still lost.

A win today by NY, against Boston’s best pitcher this year to date, would have been another huge nail into the Red Sox confidence. But, instead, they beat NY, in a *huge* laugher. And, that has to help the Sox’ spirits.

Today, on FOX, Tim McCarver mentioned that Leiber told him that some Sox players went up to some Yankees players before G4 of the ALCS last year and wished them luck in the World Series. Clearly, they thought they were beat – as we all did. But, that win in G4 gave them that ‘one win’ they needed to start feeling cocky again.

Was today the same type of win? Could be, or, not? How the game goes on Sunday will tell us something towards that, again, IMHO.

4. May 29th, 2005 | 2:01 am

You know, I’d heard that Leiber story before, and upon hearing it a second time, I tend to wonder if those Sox players were just putting a (very effective) reverse jinx on the Yanks.

5. Don
      May 29th, 2005 | 2:04 am

If the Yanks don’t win the ‘rubber’ game of this series, it will prove to me that they are gutless against the Bosox. Just look at the ring ceremony game earlier this year, the Yanks could have sent a message, instead they played patsies and made sure the Sox won that game.

6. May 29th, 2005 | 9:08 am

Cliff – yesterday was the first time that I heard the story, and, I have to admit, “head games” is the first thing that I thought about – meaning that it could have been an attempt to get the Yankees to play fat and be back on their heels. But, I don’t think it worked – because NY had that game won and then blew it at the end.

Don – not sure that I agree on the OD at Fenway. A little better defense by NY and that game would have been 5-1 instead of 8-1. And, as far as the Yankee bats that day, well, it was Wakefield, and they just don’t hit him, most of the time. That was no where near the gang tackling that they got yesterday.

7. Phil
      May 31st, 2005 | 1:48 pm

I bet they did wish the Yankees luck- they were, after all, a bunch of “idiots”.

8. October 13th, 2005 | 11:35 am

Great blog. It’s nice to be here! A false friend and a shadow attend: http://www.quotegallery.com/asp/apcategories.asp?author=Benjamin+Franklin , It’s impossible to experience one’s death