• May 29th vs. The Red Sox

Posted by on May 29th, 2005 · Comments (20)

Looks like I called it yesterday.

Funny thing happened tonight. Well, I say funny because it’s the most polite thing I can think of now. At 9 pm EST, I tuned away from the game to watch the second half of HBO’s Empire Falls (since I watched the first half last night and wanted to see how it ended.) At that point, the score was 2-2 in the 2nd. When I got back to the game at 10:30, it was in the 7th and the Yankees were down 6-2 (with Obi Wang on the mound). And, I thought to myself “Why did I change the channel to Empire Falls when I could have just stayed on ESPN and seen the Empire Fall?

Actually, I think I can sum up the difference in the Yankees and the Red Sox over the last couple of years in two names: Jason Giambi and David Ortiz. Yankees have the former and the Sox have the latter. And, it’s worse that New York paid gazillions for Jason and Boston found David on the scrap heap. Go figure.

And, if that’s not bad enough, seeing this man (below) pitch into the 9th inning to get the “W” tonight is another kick in the pants.

wells.jpg

I wonder how the Yankees will rebound (if they do) from this series?

Comments on May 29th vs. The Red Sox

1. Jen
      May 30th, 2005 | 12:42 am

Steve, did you happen to catch Sturtze hitting Nixon? At that point there was more excitement in the bleachers than on the field so I missed it. Was is blatant enough that it deserved the warning or was the ump just being precautious?

2. JeremyM
      May 30th, 2005 | 1:54 am

While I don’t think we had our foot on their throats before Saturday’s game (it’s still only May), you are probably right that this was a pivotal point of the season, and the Yanks failed miserably. It’s funny, because I was thinking the same thing regarding Ortiz and Giambi. The at-bats against Wells were atrocious as well, from what I saw (I ended up going to see the latest Star Wars and watched an Empire Rise, I guess). Why was Johnson at first again?

3. Don
      May 30th, 2005 | 3:21 am

When, oh when will the Torre Yankees make Ortiz uncomfortable at the plate? Wuss city, IMO.

And this has become a team without heart. Only Jeter remains of those hard-core types, the rest just suits collecting their paychecks.

4. May 30th, 2005 | 2:55 pm

I too wondered, after seeing hit after hit from the law firm of Ortiz, Ramirez and Renteria, at what time do you make them move their feet? I guess the answer is never?

As far as Russ Johnson? You got me. I guessed that Tino has bad numbers vs. Wells or something? Kinda scary when Russ Johnson is your 1B in the big game, huh?

Jen, in my mind, there was not doubt that TS was drilling Nixon. See the fight of 7/24/04.

In the fight, eventually, David Ortiz and Gabe Kapler had Tanyon Sturtze pinned down to the ground and were giving him the once over. And, then, all of a sudden, flying into the scene, like a missle from nowhere, Trot Nixon jumped on the pile and started to help laying a beating on Sturtze.

Good for Sturtze. I only wish he could have hit him twice.

5. Jen
      May 30th, 2005 | 3:33 pm

Thanks Steve. I only heard the fight on the radio last year so I wasn’t aware that Nixon had piled on like that.

I was hoping that after Quantrill gave up the grand slam to Renteria on Saturday that he would drill Ortiz. But maybe he didn’t want to add on to whatever suspension he already has coming to him.

6. mattymatty
      May 30th, 2005 | 4:21 pm

First I want to say that I just found this blog and it’s great. Keep up the good work. However, sorry Steve, but thats not quite the way it happened in the fight last season. Sturtze had Kapler in a headlock and was giving it to him and Nixon came over to help out. Not that it matters. Sturtze hit Nixon on purpose (the only guy unwilling to admit that is Sturtze) and whether this was a carryover from last season or retribution for Clement hitting Jeter, I’m sure this signals another beanball ware between these two clubs. Theres more coming I’m sure. As if Jeter hasn’t been hit enough this season…

7. Jen
      May 30th, 2005 | 6:34 pm

“I’m sure this signals another beanball ware between these two clubs.”

The only problem with that statement is this seems to be a one sided war. There should have been retaliation on Saturday after Jeter got hit. They shouldn’t have to wait for an appearance by Sturtze a day later. And if any Red Sock is going get hit it should be Ortiz. Hell, I’d even take a brushback or two. The guy is way too comfortable in the batter’s box against the Yankees.

8. May 30th, 2005 | 10:55 pm

mattymatty – thanks for the comments on the blog!

Question on your description of the fight – where, in your opinion, was Ortiz when TS and Kapler were locked up. IIRC, it was two-on-one, for a while, when Nixon jumped on the pile.

FWIW, here’s a feature on the official Sox site

that reads:

“In the ensuing fracas, Saturday’s Yankee starter Tanyon Sturtze was gang tackled by three Red Sox — Kapler, David Ortiz and Trot Nixon — and ultimately left the game with a bruised right pinky and a nasty, bloody slash under his left ear and down his neck.”

considering that Nixon was on the field, in RF, the deepest part of Fenway, he had to be the last one on the pile and was adding on, IMHO.

9. mattymatty
      May 31st, 2005 | 9:03 am

There are conflicting accounts of it in the mass media (as there always are with things like this). This quote is from yesterday’s Boston Globe:

Worcester’s Tanyon Sturtze, who had Gabe Kapler in a head lock last July 24 until Trot Nixon came to Kapler’s aid, hit Nixon with a ninth-inning pitch last night.

That said, my memory of the events that night come from watching the game on television, and thus might not be entirely accurate.

10. JJay
      May 31st, 2005 | 9:08 am

How frustrating is it to see the Yankees be beaten by the Sox like that only to have the O’s come into Fenway and take care of business?

11. May 31st, 2005 | 9:44 am

12. Jason O.
      May 31st, 2005 | 9:47 am

Frustrating? I love it…the Yanks playing KC and the Sunshine Band, the Sawks with their hands full w/ an O’s team obviously stinging and angry from the sweep….

Relax, kids, it was a net difference of one game this weekend.

13. JJay
      May 31st, 2005 | 9:54 am

“I too find myself wondering…….if the Blue Jays and O’s can beat Boston, and the Yankees cannot, what does that say about the Yankees?”

That’s when you almost have to start wondering if it is a mental thing.

14. Jen
      May 31st, 2005 | 11:24 am

“That’s when you almost have to start wondering if it is a mental thing.”

90% of the game is half mental.

(sorry, I just couldn’t resist)

15. Phil
      May 31st, 2005 | 1:45 pm

what does everyone thing the odds are that an AL East team will take the Wildcard?

100%
      90-100%
      50-90%
      less than 50%

Maybe the Twins and White Sox can shake things up and make the AL east a 3 team race for one spot…..would be interesting.

May 31st, 2005 | 2:55 pm

“The guy is way too comfortable in the batter’s box against the Yankees.” – Jen

Looking at his numbers, Ortiz is comfortable in the batters box against a lot of teams. For the past couple of years.

17. JJay
      May 31st, 2005 | 3:28 pm

“What does everyone thing the odds are that an AL East team will take the Wildcard?”

You kinda left a wide gap ;) so I’m gonna go with the 50-90% category but probably closer to 65%.

I think the Wild Card and AL East will be a lot tighter than it has been in past years. I don’t see the White Sox and O’s keeping this up all year but as of right now they don’t show too many signs of slowing down dramatically.

18. Phil
      May 31st, 2005 | 6:18 pm

I guess my % were to reflect in numberic terms:

1) definite
      2) very likely
      3) Maybe
      4) probably

#3 is a bit vague- hence the large % gap.

Heres another question- which relatively surprising team is most likely to be hanging around for a playoff berth on 9/15?

1) Baltimore
      2) White Sox
      3) San Diego

19. JJay
      May 31st, 2005 | 9:21 pm

Quick question as I’m watching the game…has Womack always been this bad at bunting? I’ve watched nearly every game this year and it seems like most of the time Wo tries to bunt (usually twice in a row) he pops it foul down the 3rd base line and is then in an 0-2 hole.

20. JJay
      May 31st, 2005 | 10:21 pm

For the love of God…it’s about 3 innings later and Womack fouled ANOTHER bunt down the 3rd base line and then got picked off 1st.