• May 31st @ The Royals

Posted by on May 31st, 2005 · Comments (10)

I can do this one with seven sentences.

There are pages of baseball stats that can be used to show how bad the Kansas City Royals are this season. But, rather than show you them, just trust me when I say they are so bad that they should have Chico’s Bail Bonds printed on the back of their jerseys.

Tonight, the non-striving New York Yankees were defeated by these aforementioned Royals.

By the close of the 1st of June, the Yankees could be in fourth place in the American League East.

As crazy as this might sound, the Yankees next game is “must win.” I hope the Big Unit realizes this as well.

Comments on May 31st @ The Royals

1. JJay
      June 1st, 2005 | 9:09 am

I posted this in another one of the “comment threads” ’cause there was no where else to post at the time so I’ll put it here…

Has Womack always been this bad at bunting? I’ve watched nearly every game this year and it seems like most of the time Wo tries to bunt (usually twice in a row) he pops it foul down the 3rd base line and is then in an 0-2 hole. (He then fouled off the 1st pitch he saw in the 7th before grounding into a fielder’s choice and being picked off 1st.)

2. Jason O.
      June 1st, 2005 | 9:33 am

I’m still trying to figure out why Girardi would shorten the inning with 1-2, 0 out, but I agree with JJay: If you’re known for your bunting and wheels, at least lay one down properly.

This was one of those games that proves why they play 162…to account for and “smooth” the random chance that in a given game the better teams hit 3 or 4 screaming line drives with men on base directly to outfielders.

One positive: Matsui

3. June 1st, 2005 | 9:44 am

On Womack – I think there’s a school of thought that says the bunt should be either perfect, or foul, to be a good bunt hit, and more of his go foul than perfect. But, that said, given his lack of pop, he should not put himself in the hole with the count because pitchers will challenge him without fear.

4. hopbitters
      June 1st, 2005 | 11:10 am

Matsui was a definite positive. I couldn’t help keeping an eye on Halsey shutting down the Mets, wondering what might have been.

June 1st, 2005 | 12:19 pm

Womack’s pretty bad at everything, that’s why his stats are what they are :D

6. Phil
      June 1st, 2005 | 12:29 pm

he has been very good playing LF- everyone was expecting him to be an adventure in the field, but he has proven to be very solid out there.

June 1st, 2005 | 12:52 pm

I stand corrected, he’s good @ playing LF (methinks Bernie should be out there, but that’s just me) (:

Even if he does hit .300, he doesn’t get on base enough, and he won’t hit for any power. You’re getting Luis Polonia lite. You would’ve been better served signing Rickey Henderson… lol

I’m sure Womack’s a swell guy, but you want to keep him out of the lineup; have him fill the role Dave Roberts did with the Red Sox last year. If you need him that bad in the lineup, bat him last.

8. JJay
      June 1st, 2005 | 12:55 pm

“He will get up towards .300 by the end of the year, but something about a left fielder not hitting any home runs is a bit strange.”

Right now is OBP is barely above .300. As said earlier in this thread…if he’s going to bunt he’s going to have to do it succesfully early in the count or get up 1-0, 2-1 or 3-1 before trying it.

9. Phil
      June 1st, 2005 | 1:17 pm

True…that OBP needs to climb or I agree bat him 9th

I liked the Luis Polonia lite comment…pretty funny.

10. JJay
      June 1st, 2005 | 1:58 pm

“Oh well- if nothing else- he has World Series experience and the biggest eyebrows I have ever seen (have you seen those things?)”

I think Peter Gallagher of the OC has him beat.