• June 5th @ The Twins

Posted by on June 5th, 2005 · Comments (16)

I feel much better now about not getting jazzed over the win last night. My Yankee-fan-sense must have been telling me that it was a transitory high, a fluke in a way, and nothing to get too worked up over.

Today was a day of yard work and such – therefore, I only had a few quick peeks at the game. One time, I saw a shot of Joe Torre doing his best Al Bundy, sitting on the bench with both of his hands in his pants. I’m starting to think that the “look at me, I’m calm and therefore you should be as well” thing was fine when you were playing .600 ball and would lose some games as part of the natural order of things. But, now, I think I would prefer to see some fire from Joe – and let that be the message that he sends to the troops. Don’t sit there like a lump with your hands in your pants.

Also, today, I have to give Bernie a quick slap. I saw him come into the game to play CF after pinch hitting – with Matsui moving to LF and Womack coming out of the game. I’ve always liked Bernie despite his airhead ways. I even have an autographed picture of him from the 1996 ALCS up on the wall in front of me as I type this entry. But, it was at least a week ago that reports started about him taking balls in LF during BP, etc. Why are we still seeing Williams play in CF when he is in the field? I mean, shoot, Tony Womack was a second baseman and got about two days notice that he was moving to LF – and he more than holds his own out there.

If Bernie could play LF, it would help the team on defense because then Matsui is in CF (and not Williams) and it helps the team on offense because then Bernie is in the line-up (and not Womack). Bernie, by being a baby about playing LF in a game, is hurting the team. Grow up already Mr. Williams and start playing LF, OK?

For what it’s worth, you know, if the Yankees were a patient, and they went to a doctor for what is currently ailing them, the doctor would probably suggest a full frontal lobotomy followed by an enema. At this late stage of the losing-play-disease, there’s not much else you can do.

Big Stein, are you listening? They need a new man in charge and get rid of the blockages on the roster. It can’t hurt at his point.

Comments on June 5th @ The Twins

1. June 5th, 2005 | 10:13 pm

Well, I don’t get the airhead comment. Nonetheless, where did you hear that Bernie is insisting that he play CF?

2. June 5th, 2005 | 10:49 pm

Patrick – the airhead thing is pretty well known, IIRC. In 1996, during the WS, when the team went to Atlanta, Bernie forgot to pack his bats for the trip. I mean, it’s the *World Series* and you forget to pack your bats? Years later, in the 2001 WS, Bernie showed up late to the park before Game 6. And, there are reports that Jeter ripped into him that day. It’s stuff like that gives him the airhead label. Even the players who have played with him say things about him being on a different planet most of the time.

As far as Bernie not being on top of the move to LF, see: http://www.waswatching.com/archives/2005/05/newspaper_cover.html

3. Phil
      June 5th, 2005 | 11:15 pm

wow- look how quickly people turn on Bernie when things aren’t going well.

I guess we would have all been better of if he had signed with Boston…Albert Belle would have brought us to the promised land.

so- he’s gone from a borderline HOF’er to an airhead baby that forgot his bats once and a guy who is hurting the team? Come on- is this what it’s come down to? “what have you done for me lately?”

Bernie ain’t hurting squat…no more than anyone else. There are 24 other players who are doing just as much damage. Today’s culprit du jour is Sheffield- FWIW- he has to make that catch in RF.

It’s simple- they are too friggin old…all of them….too old.

4. June 5th, 2005 | 11:25 pm

I remember when I was getting my stuff ready to go to this celebrity golf tournament I was caddying at. Kind of a big deal. I caddied for Mike Schmidt, which was cool being the baseball fan that I am.

I forgot my clothes. LOL. Luckily, I was able to get another set there.

What I’m saying is things happen. I’d never call Bernie an airhead.

Of course, we could be meaning airhead in different ways. Dictionary.com has it basically as is my meaning of it (stupid), which is “a silly, rather unintelligent person.” Bernie is a smart guy in my book.

I think we’d be reading a bit far into “I’ll deal with it when it comes” if we take it to mean “I’m not playing LF” because he is in CF. Just doesn’t seem right to me to take that statement and use it in that way when we’re talking about a guy like Bernie.

June 5th, 2005 | 11:37 pm

heh…

I’ll get “upset” at Bernie’s “refusal” to give up CF when I get “upset” at Jeter “refusing” to give up SS to Rodriguez.

As for “fire” from Torre, what can he possibly say to these guys? These aren’t a bunch of rookies. These are veterans who’ve been there, done that. There’s not much that he can say to rally the troops. And if it gets to that point, where they would need something like that, these guys are in the wrong line of work

6. Phil
      June 5th, 2005 | 11:57 pm

nice one….

Raf- couldn’t agree with you more- managers get more credit and more blame than they deserve.

Bernie isn’t stupid- if he truly thinks he can not hack CF anymore- he would acknowledge it.

I think Matsui in LF, Bernie in CF and Sheff in RF is still the best way to go.

Womack is a defensive replacement in LF after the 7th inning and move Matsui to CF

7. Jason O.
      June 6th, 2005 | 9:15 am

The season hinges on the next 15 games.

Anything worse than 10-5 and I’m having a hard time seeing the team make the postseason.

8. June 6th, 2005 | 10:16 am

//I think Matsui in LF, Bernie in CF and Sheff in RF is still the best way to go.//

Have you seen Bernie’s play in CF this season?

9. June 6th, 2005 | 10:20 am

Jason – I can make it even shorter – if they don’t win 4 of the next 6, we can pretty much stick a fork in them.

Their confidence will be blown if they pull another KC job with the Brewers.

10. hopbitters
      June 6th, 2005 | 10:41 am

“What have you done for me lately” is how you win ballgames. You don’t win games on what you did last year or your HoF credentials. It’s been three years since Bernie was among the league’s top CF offensively (2003 8 RCAP, 2004 1 RCAP) and he’s clearly a liability defensively. He couldn’t throw out a crippled catcher crawling to second. Every team in the majors knows that and takes an extra base any time he fields a ball. He plays too shallow at times for his dwindling speed. I don’t blame Bernie for that, though. I blame the guy who keeps sticking him out there. Bernie could have been more productive offensively in the past few years if he hadn’t been tearing up his knees playing the field.

As for his reluctance to move, why should he? If the manager is just going to pacify every whiner on the team, why shouldn’t they just stick where they’re most comfortable? All of Torre’s defenders say he’s limited in what he can do. His hands are tied. He can’t make the players try to take a swing with the game on the line. No, he can’t, but he can bench them when they do dumb things. He can tell them to play in the position that will help the team or sit.

What really struck me about yesterday’s game was the bases-loaded suicide squeeze. When was the last time Torre tried anything like that? Or anything at all to get the team fired up? Or at least try to get one freakin’ runner across the plate for a change? You know…managing.

11. Phil
      June 6th, 2005 | 10:45 am

Have you seen Bernie’s play in CF this season?

Why- because he can’t throw? He hasn’t been able to throw for 10 years- and somehow we managed. Other than that- granted- he’s lost a step- but I don’t think Matsui is leaps and bounds better.

I go back to consistency. There needs to be consistency in the field and in the lineup. Changing everything around every two days is not helping anyone.

They should notlook like a team that is rebuilding and trying to figure out what works. they don’t have that luxury.

We are too old!!

And don’t knock the Brewers- last I checked they were a pretty well built team….not worth mentioning in the same breath as the Royals.

but I agree- 4 of 6 or bust…unless we go 3-3 and the O’s and Sox go 0-6 (could happen!)

June 6th, 2005 | 10:56 am

//”What have you done for me lately” is how you win ballgames.//

Pfft. “What have you done for me lately” is the reason the Yanks have Womack, Pavano, and Wright on the roster.

13. June 6th, 2005 | 11:15 am

Just thinking… is Matsui, Bernie, Sheff that much worse than Bernie, Matsui, Sheff? I mean, maybe its a little better, but either way, Matsui is covering more ground. Whether it be the left field line to left center or left center to right center.

You would probably know where to find this out… of balls hit to the outfield this year off Yankee pitchers, how many were hit to left/center/right?

14. hopbitters
      June 6th, 2005 | 11:23 am

The reason the Yankees have Womack, Pavano, and Wright on the roster is that management has no idea how to evaluate players. It has no relevance to playing a guy based on sentiment and talent that he no longer possesses. There are two reasons to play a player : he can help the team now or he can help the team in the future. You can’t help the current team with what you did in the past.

FWIW, Pavano has value, just not the value that they paid for. Heck, even Womack could have value if they used him properly (pinch running).

June 6th, 2005 | 12:56 pm

“You can’t help the current team with what you did in the past.” Up to a point; based on what they did in the past, you have an idea of what to expect in the present, and future.

16. hopbitters
      June 6th, 2005 | 1:51 pm

That’s true, Raf. And don’t get me wrong, I appreciate what Bernie’s done in the past. I just don’t think what he did 3+ years ago should get him CF playing time today, at least not in the same capacity. I still think he has value to the team or could in the proper situation.