• June 6th @ The Brewers

Posted by on June 7th, 2005 · Comments (7)

During a small window in this game, I was actually feeling as if something was about to turn around this season for the Yankees.

It started when Jason Giambi (!) got a big base hit in the top of the 4th inning. And, it continued when The Big Unit, who has seemed more like The Big Godot this season – because we’ve been waiting so long to see him, looked like he was sending a signal that he was about to finally arrive.

Actually, for Johnson, it started in the 3rd inning. He gave up the HR to Cirillo, and then drilled the next batter, Jenkins, in the back. Right away, I wondered if this was 7/8/00 all over again – when Clemens decided to become nasty again and went up and in on Piazza and started to pitch like Clemens again.

Johnson struck out the next two batters in the 3rd and then was just as dominating in the 4th – hitting 100 and 101 MPH on the fast YES gun in the process.

But, in the top of the 5th, that “Lookin’ Good!” window closed just as quick as it opened. Based loaded and no outs. Posada whiff. Giambi DP. Inning over. No runs. Window closed. In fact, in many ways, it was Game Over.

I just hope it doesn’t mean Season Over too.

Comments on June 6th @ The Brewers

1. JJay
      June 7th, 2005 | 8:48 am

We get the first two batter of the 5th on base with consecutive 4-pitch walks. A-Rod then walks on what I believe was an eleven pitch at bat. So now Posada is up with the bases loaded and no outs. What does he do? Swings at the first pitch that’s about neck-high. Watches pitch 2 fly over the heart of the plate. Takes a ball. Swing and a miss.

Textbook.

2. Jason O.
      June 7th, 2005 | 9:24 am

Fortitudine Vincimus
      (By endurance we conquer)

3. JJay
      June 7th, 2005 | 9:27 am

I think endurance is one of the last things this team has…right next to heart.

4. hopbitters
      June 7th, 2005 | 9:58 am

Well, I saw a lot of positive things last night. I saw a pitcher without his best stuff working out of jams for a complete game. I saw the defense helping the pitcher out of jams. I saw the pitcher minimize the damage instead of imploding when the defense made a mistake. I saw runners taking extra bases at every opportunity. I saw batters working the count, making productive outs, and scoring seven runs on only one extra-base hit while the 3 and 4 hitters went 0-7. I saw a team that took advantage of opponents’ errors. I saw a perfectly executed suicide squeeze. I saw a rookie lose a run on a bad call, who said and did nothing to indicate it was a bad call, because he had the lead already and had to work with the umpire the rest of the night. I saw an offensive juggernaut who had dramatically improved his defense to help out the team on both ends. I suppose you guessed long ago I was watching the Cards.

I was pretty happy at the end of the game. The Cards are one of my favorite teams and my wife’s home team. They beat up on the Sox, one of my fantasy pitchers got a CG win, and I watched a well-played baseball game. I should have left it at that, but I turned to YES when it was over and saw, well, you know what I saw. What a contrast.

5. Phil
      June 7th, 2005 | 10:23 am

do I hear 0-21?

please oh please put in John Flaherty. Posada looked absoultely terrible last night- no exaggeration- I think he was starting his swing after the ball hit the mitt. I know his avg is around .275- but I don’t see how.

Silver lining- Rivera is well rested :)

June 7th, 2005 | 10:39 am

Re: RJ

I saw where he seemingly “flipped the switch” and started throwing hard again. Then, nothing…

I didn’t catch all of the game, but why didn’t Martinez PH? I’d much rather see him up at bat than Sierra. He’s just as much a longball threat.

7. JJay
      June 7th, 2005 | 10:43 am

“Silver lining- Rivera is well rested :)”

Something tells me he’s going to get a lot of rest unless they make him a starter.

“why didn’t Martinez PH? I’d much rather see him up at bat than Sierra. He’s just as much a longball threat.”

We didn’t even need a long ball! We needed a damn basehit! And Torre sends up Ruben and his .200 average (under that now) and .233 OBP.