• June 16th vs. The Pirates

Posted by on June 16th, 2005 · Comments (10)

Mr. Snappy shows up for the first time in the Bronx!

Yeah, I know, it’s easy to say “But, it’s the Pirates.” Nonetheless, you have to give the Yankees credit for doing what they’re supposed to do with a team like Pittsburgh.

Now, a better test comes along: The Cubs. And, if I recall correctly, in 2003, the Cubs did some dancing on the Yankees when they met at Wrigley. It would be nice to get some form of payback for losing 2 of 3 back then……if that’s possible.

Comments on June 16th vs. The Pirates

1. Cameraman
      June 17th, 2005 | 3:27 am

Agreed, I’m happy, but not impressed. I was happy to see some timely hitting finally, along with RJ looking as though he was back in the NL West again. WFAN is reporting that Torre told the media tonight that Brown is going to miss his next start with spasms in his back again. Are they going to just skip his spot against the Cubs, or call up again? Are we going to see Zambrano in this series? He’s easily the best pitcher they have right now, and they have some young phenom that looks pretty disgusting as well. Rumor mill says he’s a lefty, with a 92 fastball and a curve better than Boomers. That being said, we just beat the brains out of the the highest touted young lefty in the NL, so I can’t be that worried about it.

2. seamus
      June 17th, 2005 | 7:55 am

Henn is likely being called up to pitch on Monday. It is Pavano tonight against Zambrano, Wang tomorrow, and Mussina on Sunday.

3. June 17th, 2005 | 8:02 am

Good for Henn. It’s nice to see him get another shot. He and Wang just might be main cogs of the rotation in 2006.

4. hopbitters
      June 17th, 2005 | 8:42 am

I’ll classify myself as cautiously optimistic. Giambi’s slugging still hasn’t reached his OBP, but at least it’s heading in the direction of respectability. Every time I see a good young pitcher come up through the farm system, I dread watching him go to another team for an overpriced veteran. Hopefully, they’ll keep Wang and Henn around and we’ll never see Wright again.

5. Cameraman
      June 17th, 2005 | 9:20 am

In my opinion, both Wang and Henn are bait for something older and proven. Yank officials say that Cano, Wang, and Henn are not likely to be traded, but we have all heard that story a million times. I really hope they don’t do it, but with the schedules of the Orioles, Red Sox and Yankees in the next month, it’s not getting any easier for the yanks this month. If Brown is going to be out, and Wright is gone till who knows when we are most definitely going to need someone to pitch well around the all-star break. In case anyone has noticed, we have a month of pure hell after the break. Any opinions?

6. Jason O.
      June 17th, 2005 | 9:25 am

All week, Jim Kaat was borderline massaging himself over Perez (RJ, Steve Carlton, Sandy Koufax)

1st inning:
      Jeter: smash
      Matsui: gone

Sandy freaking Koufax!!???!!

7. Phil
      June 17th, 2005 | 10:26 am

Cool- I’ll be at the game on Monday…scored some “primo” seats….I’ll get a nice view of Henn.

I’ll wear a Boston hat and bring a clipboard, a stopwatch and a pitch counter and pretend I am scouting him.

June 17th, 2005 | 11:06 pm

Jason O. – Perez has a good arm, and if he keeps his head right and stays healthy, you’re looking at an ace caliber pitcher.

9. Jen
      June 18th, 2005 | 12:35 am

I was talking with a Pirates fan at the game last night. He said that we would probably see Perez in pinstripes in the near future. I said that he’s too young. We’ll see him in about 15-20 years

10. June 18th, 2005 | 9:01 am

That’s funny. Just a few months ago, I wondered if he’d be in NY someday: http://www.netshrine.com/vbulletin2/showthread.php?t=16592

Gotta lose those burns and beard ‘tho.