• June 17th vs. The Cubs

Posted by on June 17th, 2005 · Comments (6)

Best.Sprained.Ankle.Ever

Who would have thought it, watching Godzilla get hurt in Saint Lou, that the injury would turn him into a hitting machine?

Watching those Cubs fans at the Stadium tonight, celebrating like they just won the World Series, when Chicago took the 6-4 lead, well, that just makes this win even sweeter.

Speaking of annoying Cubbies, I think this is the first time that I’ve seen Carlos Zambrano pitch. Gotta say, if my daughter brought this guy home one day, to meet the family for the first time, my reaction would be: “What a chooch!” Seriously, that dude is just a tick away from Lima-time. Somebody throw a bucket of water on him. Wait a minute, I think the Yankees did tonight.

And, it’s official. It’s now time to say that Pavano has an issue with pitching at home. When Henry Blanco and his .172 OBA (yes, one-seventy-two) steps up to the plate and bangs out a 2-run single to take the lead in the game, you’re doing something wrong.

Giambi came out of the game with the chance for two more PAs, for defense? Gosh, it was the 6th inning. Is he hurt? Traded? Something else? I mean, you worry about defense when you’re down two and have 4 more frames to hit in? That was strange.

Lastly, watching Giambi “throw” to 2nd tonight, and Womack “throw” to home, I have to wonder: If Giambi, Womack, Bernie and a girl had a throwing contest, who would win? It would be close, for sure.

Comments on June 17th vs. The Cubs

1. June 17th, 2005 | 11:29 pm

I think the contest is between Bernie and Giambi. And that’s Blanco’s OBP, not OPS, still mind-blowingly awful.

Boy, have the last four games been fun!

2. Jen
      June 18th, 2005 | 12:31 am

Tonight was very fun. But those Cubs fans sure are annoying. They weren’t quite as obnoxious as many Red Sox fans. They were just kind of there, like gnats. Harmless but annoying. And they were strangely good natured about the ribbings (and fingers) thrown their way. We’ll see what the next 2 days bring.

Was there actually a scuffle behind home plate late in the game? I don’t think I’ve ever seen security have to be called to the primo seats like that. I thought that maybe Billy Crystal squared off with Bill Murray or something.

3. Phil
      June 18th, 2005 | 12:51 am

I like cubs fans….they are like the Sox fans prior to 2004- but without all of the attitude and crankiness.

As for Zambrano- thats just the way he is- I watched him pitch a lot this year (thanks WGN)- the guy is intense but apparently- a softee off the mound.

and I think Murray could kick Crystals ass.

4. June 18th, 2005 | 8:54 am

Cliff – good catch on the OPS/OBA – thanks. I’ll fix that now.

5. Don
      June 19th, 2005 | 2:21 pm

The Matsui ankle injury has now become an urban myth.

But he was out of his hitting funk prior to the ankle injury. Game two in St. Louis he was 2-4 with a double, game three in the first he scorched one but right at the Cards 2nd baseman, then he hit one to the wall and later drove in the tieing run. All before the ‘ankle’.

6. Jason O.
      June 20th, 2005 | 11:25 am

Just how cool does Joe Buck think he is??? It may not be possible to measure…