• June 20th vs. The Devil Rays

Posted by on June 20th, 2005 · Comments (15)

Oh, soooooooo, close. Boy, the Devil Rays sure like Yankee Stadium this year. But, having Unit go tomorrow is the best way to shake this one off.

Two quick questions:

1. Can somebody tell Casey Fossum that Cosmo Kramer wants his hair back?
    2. Why, oh why, is Tony Womack batting second in the Yankees line-up night-after-night?

Speaking of line-ups, batting Posada and Giambi, the kings of swing-when-you-should-take and take-when-you-should-swing, back-to-back in the line-up kills a rally quicker than it takes to go from “A” to “B” in the alphabet.

Lastly, something came to me in the game tonight that I hope teams don’t see. I saw it when Carl Crawford had that huge lead off first in the top of the sixth. When teams with speed play the Yankees, and Giambi plays first, base runners should take an uber-monster lead off first base – so huge that it screams for the pitcher to throw to first. And, when the pitcher does throw to Giambi, the runner should take off for second – because Giambi will never be able to make the throw to second in a fashion to get the runner. It’s a gimmie, every time. Just watch and see if someone picks up on it. For all we know, maybe that’s what Crawford was trying to do tonight?

Comments on June 20th vs. The Devil Rays

1. Jen
      June 21st, 2005 | 12:22 am

I was at the game tonight. Yeah, it sucked they lost, but I didn’t have great expectations going into tonight. Don’t get me wrong, I was pulling for Henn, I’m just the type of person who usually expects the worse and but hope that I’m wrong. And after seeing Fossum’s stuff in the first inning that hope dwindled quickly. I am a bit concerned about Sheffield though. He really did seem to be dogging it tonight. I hope I’m wrong.

Tonight I was reminded of one thing that I’ll probably miss about this stadium… and that’s the reaction of people who have never been there before. There was a family sitting in front of me from Dallas (they’re Rangers fans first, Yankee fans second). They took the tour earlier in the day and had smiles on their faces the whole night. They really got a kick out of the roll call (something they never knew about since they don’t get to see many games on tv down there). And there was a group of about 8 or so from NC sitting behind me. They were a Christian youth group who came up to the city to volunteer at homeless shelters for a week. I talked with one of the adults most of the night. Having grown up in KC he was thrilled to finally get to the Stadium. Of course they were disappointed about the loss but they all seemed to enjoy themselves nonetheless. Over the years I’ve met quite a few first-timers (including a group from England who needed the game of baseball explained to them) and they were all as happy as they could be just to be in the Stadium. It’s a refreshing change to talk to them for a night as opposed to complaining once again with all of the regulars about Womack batting second.

With the new stadium I’m not sure if they will have the same reaction that those folks did tonight. It’s not going to be the same place that these people remember seeing on tv or hearing stories about when they were kids. I’m not against the new stadium, but nights like tonight will be something I miss (not the losing part of it of course).

(sorry for the long post, just something I wanted to share.)

2. Phil
      June 21st, 2005 | 12:44 am

I was there tonight too- ditto on the story about the stadium- its those kinds of things that I will miss.

As for Henn-I noted how poorly he was throwing the ball in his warmups prior to the first batter- I mean he was missing way high, way low, and way off the plate in his warmups….not a good sign…and it translated to the game. The frustrating part was that when he threw strikes, noone was able to make solid contact. He needs to trust his stuff a little more.

Not sure what Jeter was thinking on his throw to A-Rod, but he should have ate it. OK- he’s Jeter- he gets a pass there!

The one strange thing was in the bottom of the 9th…Jeter up with two outs, down a run. and Womack was ON DECK???? are you kidding me? so- if Jeter gets a hit- he is sending up Womack over Sierra? I don’t get it.

Womack and Giambi got very noticable boo birds. And it always seems like they are up in big spots.

But we didn’t lose ground on first place.

3. Phil
      June 21st, 2005 | 12:46 am

and by the way- Giambi made a nice play at first to force a runner at second- perfect throw to the bag

4. Jen
      June 21st, 2005 | 12:55 am

Jeter made that same error on Sunday. Of course tonight it meant more since they lost by 1. But there were a few “what if” plays tonight that could’ve changed the game, including Sheff failing to come up with at least one ball.

I thought the same thing about Womack. I wonder if this is all an “Enrique in right” move that Torre is trying to do to force the front office to make a move.

5. Don
      June 21st, 2005 | 3:14 am

Henn started for Columbus on the 16th. Meaning he did his complete pre-game routine and warmup then pitched three innings. So he only had three days rest and that might have thrown him some.

6. Brad
      June 21st, 2005 | 5:30 am

Or he just sucks. One thing for sure, he is not likely to start another one – especially if they go into another .400 slide for ten games.

7. Jason O.
      June 21st, 2005 | 9:23 am

The Yankees absorb this loss and take the next 3. It’s one game. Sometimes a slightly above average journeyman pitcher throws a great game. Gotta like A-Rod’s comments in the Post, i.e., “we’ve accomplished nothing yet.”

8. phil
      June 21st, 2005 | 9:46 am

“Or he just sucks. One thing for sure, he is not likely to start another one”

OK- so they don’t have another day off until 6/30…9 straight games….what do you propose they do? Pitch someone on less rest? Do you give Sturtze another shot?

I think he gets another start- and it looks like Saturday against the mets….wildness can be corrected- the glove was popping last night.

9. JJay
      June 21st, 2005 | 12:45 pm

Phil, were you serious about Giambi’s throw? The throw I’m thinking of was almost a foot over Jeter’s head which took away any chance of a double play.

I’m not sure if Joe was just waiting to see if they made a pitching change or what regarding Womack being on deck…but Sierra did have a bat in his hands and a helmet on in the dugout.

10. June 21st, 2005 | 2:01 pm

Gosh, Giambi almost got Jeter killed on that throw, it was so bad.

Jen, Phil – do/did the people you meet, who are seeing YS for the 1st time, realize that *this* YS is not where Ruth, Mantle and DiMag played? I think a lot of people don’t realize that, aside from street address, that *this* YS and the old one are totally different.

Different dimensions on the field. Different bullpens. Different stands. And, a different momument location. In fact, *this* YS has as much in common with the old one as I do with Don Mattingly.

I’m not sure most people realize what they are seeing for the first time?

It’s the House that Otto Velez built – more than the House of Ruth.

11. Jen
      June 21st, 2005 | 2:22 pm

The people I met last night did realize it because we were discussing the old dimensions at one point. But it didn’t really bother them. I really don’t think out-of-towners are quite the purists that many of us are. They were in the Stadium in the Bronx watching the Yankees and that’s all that mattered.

June 21st, 2005 | 3:08 pm

Actually, it’s the House that Wagner/Lindsay/Beame (and City Taxpayers) Refurbished (:

13. Jen
      June 21st, 2005 | 4:53 pm

Raf, when I first glanced at that post all I read was Lindsay Wagner and thought “what the hell does the bionic woman have to do with Yankee Stadium.”

I think I need some sleep. Thank god I gave away my tickets for tonight and took tomorrow off.

June 21st, 2005 | 5:17 pm

can the bionic woman pitch? :D

Have pleasant pinstriped dreams, Jen (:

15. Jen
      June 21st, 2005 | 10:39 pm

Thanks Raf.

I checked the score while I was at my night job and it was 10-2. While it wasn’t a sleeping dream, I did day dream that they made a comeback. I come home and they’re in the midst of a 8 run… make that 11 run… no wait… 12 run 8th inning.

Damn, I always pick the wrong games to sit Bernie on my fantasy team. And make that 13 runs! Almost wish I went tonight. Hopefully they can keep this going tomorrow.