• Mark Kotsay

Posted by on June 20th, 2005 · Comments (16)

It’s Gammons, so, it’s probably not true, but:

The Yankees are trying to get Oakland’s Mark Kotsay, who can be a free agent at the end of the year. But whether or not Brian Cashman will give up the prospects needed to get one of the game’s premier center fielders, like right-hander Philip Hughes and perhaps third baseman Eric Duncan, remains to be seen.

Gosh, just do it. I’m still not convinced that Kotsay is a FA at year end. I read once that he has a clause that allows him to ask for Free Agency in his contract, if he wants to get away from the A’s. But, contract stuff can be worked out.

Kotsay would be the best defensive CF that the Yankees have seen in a looooong time. He has a cannon for an arm, and, he’s a capable 6th or 7th hitter for this team. Maybe his power even goes up in Yankee Stadium?

Hughes looks to be rock solid blue chip. But, he’s at least 2 years away and a lot can happen to a kid pitcher. And, Duncan has stalled some this year at AA and is also probably 2 years away. Also, being a local boy, it might be too much pressure for him in NYC?

Bottom line, it would be 2008 or 2009 before Hughes and/or Duncan would star in New York, if they ever do. And, the Yankees need a CF, now, and for the next few years after.

And, the market for CFers is not good now. It’s basically Preston Wilson and Johnny Damon. Give me Kotsay anyday over those two.

Do it. Do it now.

Comments on Mark Kotsay

1. Phil
      June 20th, 2005 | 12:05 pm

Steve- note the phrasing…..Kotsay, who CAN BE(not IS)a free agent at the end of this year…to me that suggests that there is something in his contract

2. June 20th, 2005 | 12:34 pm

Phil, until they declare, they all “can be,” and are not “is.”

3. Phil
      June 20th, 2005 | 12:41 pm

true, but I see a difference in wording between

“Hideki Matsui, who will be a free agent at the end of this year”

and

“Kotsaym who can be a free agent at the end of the year”

The latter implies that the fact he can even file for free agency is not 100% at this point.

Then again- I got a 300 on my SAT verbal- so what do I know?

4. Brad
      June 20th, 2005 | 1:06 pm

Also, If the Yanks don’t make a move for him, you know who’s gonna. I don’t think Johnny Damon is going to be in Boston next year, and I don’t think he would fit in at NY. He is a great fielder and a all-time great pest at the plate, but a weak arm. Also, I don’t think he’s going to cut his hair for anybody. (then again, Kotsay is not exactly clean cut). I think the Sox are going to make a push for this guy as well, and the way the Sox and A’s do business with each other, I can see that happening before I see them accepting something with the Yankees. The Red Sox, right now, have better talent to give up, and on top of that, it hurts them alot less to give up Hanley Ramirez, Kevin Youkilis, or Abe Alvarez than it does for NY to give up the Cano or Wang. I really don’t think Wang is an option right now, and Oakland already has a plethora of young fielding talent so Cano’s probably off the mark as well. Also, you know Oakland is not going to take any sort of contract from NY – ever. Jay Payton is probably going to be in the mix as well if that deal goes down, and Boston would probably eat his contract for the year. His recent tirades have upset everyone in Boston, and he’s more than replaceable on a team with already great outfielders. The two owners are the exact polar opposites of each other, and each is always trying to prove his way is the right way. So no, I don’t ever see that deal happening. But, I’ve been wrong before

5. Don
      June 20th, 2005 | 1:44 pm

No, no, no, I would not trade Hughes. This would be a typical Yankee dumb-a$$ move.

6. June 20th, 2005 | 2:04 pm

How old is Hughes? What’s the highest level of pro-ball that he has mastered?

At this point, he’s just a prospect. An excellent prospect. But, you have no idea if he will turn out.

Jimmy Haynes was once a blue-chipper in the O’s system. He was stellar at every level. He was supposed to be the next Mussina. At the big league level, he was a flop. You never know with pitchers. If you can get something good, that you really need, then I have no issue trading a Hughes.

You don’t trade him for Victor Zambrano. But, you do trade him for a Kotsay, if you can.

7. June 20th, 2005 | 2:10 pm

For more on this rumored deal, click on my name below.

8. Phil
      June 20th, 2005 | 2:38 pm

sure…lets keep Hughes. I heard hes being dubbed as the next Brien Taylor. (wink)

I agree with you Steve- in this situation- what else can you do for CF next year?

any beter ideas? anyone?

And before we start saying “stop trading our youth”…lets remember that we have not one but TWO rookies doing well on our team, and possibly a third going tonight….so- where is that depleted farm I keep hearing about?

9. hopbitters
      June 20th, 2005 | 4:09 pm

“what else can you do for CF next year?”

Skippy seems to cover pretty good ground over in foul territory…

10. Phil
      June 20th, 2005 | 4:19 pm

ha….yeah, but you can’t have too many players on the team making the league minimum….it’s very “un-yankeelike”

11. June 20th, 2005 | 4:50 pm

//Skippy seems to cover pretty good ground over in foul territory…//

LOL

12. Don
      June 20th, 2005 | 8:07 pm

Brien Taylor got into a fight in the off-season and wrecked his shoulder. Very bad comparison.

The Yanks don’t have the record they’ve got due to bad CF play.

13. phil
      June 21st, 2005 | 9:50 am

I know- bad comparison….my point was just that you never really know what you have until they perform.

Agree that the CF spot is not killing us, but the issue is not only this year- but the next three+ years in CF….we need someone.

14. Don
      June 21st, 2005 | 2:36 pm

My point is that you never have enough pitching, as guys fall by the wayside in the minors. So to start trading young talent for a CF is part of the old Yankee pattern. The more prospects the better the odds of one making it. Now maybe in a deal for Barry Zito you do that.

Does anyone think Zito is done?

15. June 21st, 2005 | 5:01 pm

I think if *we* traded for Zito, it would be Britt Burns all over again. If someone else trades for him, he has another 4 great seasons before he’s done.

It’s just the way of things.

16. June 23rd, 2005 | 11:51 am

From: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/06/23/SPG47DDGVF1.DTL

“General manager Billy Beane said Wednesday that he won’t comment on negotiations to extend Kotsay’s contract, as per his usual policy. Kotsay said a day earlier that he expects the two sides to exchange proposals by the end of this week. If there is no agreement in the next month, Kotsay could be traded before the July 31 deadline, but it appears more likely that terms will be reached on an extension that would keep Kotsay in Oakland through 2008.”

Maybe he’s not coming?