• Jorge Posada

Posted by on June 21st, 2005 · Comments (15)

I was listening to Joe B. and Sid on WFAN early this afternoon, and they were talking about a Yankees fans right to “boo” guys like A-Rod, when they play poorly. But, they said, the fans should not “boo” Jeter, Mo, Bernie, and Posada – because those guys have built up “equity” with their 4 World Series championships.

You hear something like this from time-to-time. Jeter, Posada, Bernie and Mo are the only ones of the “old guard” left, etc.

What bugs me about this is the inclusion of Posada.

First off, he has three rings, not four like the others. In 1996, Jorge Posada played in 8 games for the Yankees with 14 At Bats. In those appearances, Posada batted .071. If Posada deserved a ring in 1996, then so does Robert Eenhoorn.

Secondly, in 1998, the Yankees catching duties were just about split between Posada and Joe Girardi. In that season, Jorge had 409 Plate Appearances and Joe had 279 Plate Appearances. Basically, Posada was the Yankees catcher about 60% of the time in 1998. So, it’s not like he was Jeter, or Bernie, and was a FT main cog of the team.

So, in some ways, some might say that Posada has 2 1/2 rings. But, most would say three. I’d give him three. But, in no way does he have 4 rings (like Jeter, Bernie and Mo).

As a result, Jorge has not built up as much “equity” as Jeter, Bernie and Mo – if you believe there is such a thing as equity.

Also – and this is just hearsay relayed to me from someone in a position to know – some say that Posada is not well liked in the clubhouse. As the story does, he’s loud and complains a lot. Now, I could counter and say “And this is a bad thing? Wasn’t Munson that way?” But, from what I am told, the other players (for the most part) do not like Jorge and if not for Jeter’s friendship, he would have been sent packing a while ago.

If I recall correctly, Posada is one of the few Yankees without a no-trade clause. And, we know now that Randy Johnson prefers another catcher. Does all this add up to Posada perhaps being traded this year, if the right deal should come along?

The Yankees would then need another catcher – and there’s nothing there on the farm. This is probably working in Posada’s favor – in terms of being able to stick around.

Comments on Jorge Posada

June 21st, 2005 | 2:56 pm

yet another reason I don’t listen to sports radio.

1. Fans pay their tickets, they can boo whomever they want

2. If Posada got a ring from the 1996 WS, then he has 4 rings. No amount of slicing and dicing will change that fact.

3. How exactly do you determine that 60% of the catching duties is not a “FT main cog of the team?” Catching is much more strenuous that SS, CF, or even closing for that matter. Hell, Posada played in double the games Mo did.

4. Equity… pffff (:

5. Who cares if Posada is/isn’t liked in the clubhouse? The job comes before any petty agendas anyone may have.

6. Any player can/will be traded if the right deal comes along.

2. JJay
      June 21st, 2005 | 2:57 pm

How much value would Posada have now? He’s probably 1-2 years away from being a DH or making a position switch. He’s aging and over the last 5-6 years he has played a TON of games behind the plate.

3. hopbitters
      June 21st, 2005 | 3:08 pm

Equity? What are we doing here? Giving out loans? What are we supposed to do when Jeter makes a bonehead play? Clap as we gaze off into the distance and remember 1996? And what about Sojo? Everybody forgets my boy Luis has four rings, too, not to mention a Series-winning RBI. Shouldn’t he be able to windmill everybody home with impunity?

OK, I’m done now.

4. Jason O.
      June 21st, 2005 | 3:16 pm

Posada still has the highest VORP among AL catchers, inlcuding Ivan Rodriguez’s little brother. (who’s filling in for his 230 lb older sibling this year w/ the Tigers)

JJay, even when he makes a position switch he’s still a switch hitter with power who gets on base. This is valuable for another 5-7 seasons.

5. EintheBronx
      June 21st, 2005 | 4:13 pm

I’ll trade Posadas VORP for Varitekss numbers eight days a week. I started doing some research when I read this post, and this guy is amazing. He basically leads, or is close to it, every major catching category, including offensive numbers from BOTH sides of the plate for the past three years. Also, if I remember correctly, wasn’t Posada on the table for the the Dodgers catcher (his name slips my mind now) a couple years ago? I’m pretty sure Posada has been part of several trades over the past three years, and unuckily for us, they have never panned out.

6. EintheBronx
      June 21st, 2005 | 4:14 pm

Edit: I meant Varitek’s

7. Jason O.
      June 21st, 2005 | 4:55 pm

Right, that would be some great clubhouse chemistry.

June 21st, 2005 | 5:15 pm

The only chemistry worth fretting over is the one that can get you suspended from the game

9. EintheBronx
      June 21st, 2005 | 6:11 pm

Not to be a jerk, or sound like I actually know what I’m talking about, but does anyone see an overflow of chemistry now? I mean, these guys are not playing for each other the way they used to. By saying that we would not love to have someone like Varitek because of his chemistry after we took on Sheffield and Brown (two longtime problem children of the league, and not to mention Mondesi) instead of Posada at this point is crazy. Oh, just for the record, Posada was in the original package deal to LA which would have sent LaDuca to the Yanks. LA said no on that one. Raf, in my opinion, I would love to have a catcher that protects his staff with the passion that Varitek does Bostons. Those pitchers make a ton of bad moves, and not too many people decide to take the walk to the mound because of the presence Varitek commands while escorting them to their base.

10. June 21st, 2005 | 6:49 pm

I don’t mind Posada’s inclusion in that. He’s a career Yankee, a quality player and from everything I’ve seen, a good guy and a classy player. The Pedro and Posada stuff puts me in his corner and I’m loyal to him.

I would never want Jason Varitek to be a Yankee. I don’t care about his chemistry as much as what he did while being a Red Sox. Brown didn’t do anything memorable to the Yankees, same for Sheff. Neither was a Red Sox, either.

11. EintheBronx
      June 21st, 2005 | 8:58 pm

And what of Randy Johnson?

12. June 21st, 2005 | 9:41 pm

He beat the Yankees in the World Series. I don’t care if someone beats us, really. I don’t remember him walking them down the line, saying things to them through a mask or excessively throwing at people. He hit 0 batters in that series.

13. June 21st, 2005 | 10:27 pm

Just remembered the Seattle series, but he didn’t hit anyone in that one, either.

Anyway, maybe there is something I am forgetting, but if he did something, it wasn’t near the extent of Varitek because it would have stuck in my mind. I don’t routinely forget things.

14. Jen
      June 21st, 2005 | 10:56 pm

He killed that bird that one time. The bastard!

15. EintheBronx
      June 22nd, 2005 | 12:28 am

Okay, you’re right. Why would we want Varitek and all his great numbers on this team. I mean, as it stands now, we’re blowing away everyone with the team that we have. PS – I feel bad for the Tampa kid tonight. This was an all time low for Lou, and it was sad to watch. I’m glad they won, even if it did take 13 runs in the 8th to do it on a night Randy Johnson started, but I thougt Harper was going to cry when he looked in and got a blank stare from Lou. What he should have done is gone to the duggout and gave Lou Pinella a piece of his mind on television after that mess. I wonder what Randy Johnson’s excuse will be this time? What a waste of money.