• June 21st vs. The Devil Rays

Posted by on June 21st, 2005 · Comments (8)

It’s the first day of summer and things are heating up in the Bronx!

To me, the beauty of this game is that the Red Sox are playing a game in Cleveland, and the O’s are in Toronto, and at some point they both look up at the out-of-town scoreboard and see the Yankees are losing, getting pounded 10-2, to the Devil Rays and the game is half over in New York.

And, then, on SportsCenter tonight, or when they read the morning paper tomorrow, those same Sox and O’s are going to see that the Yankees won this game, 20-11.

Message, sent.

By the way, I actually did feel sorry for Travis Harper in the 9th. Shame on Lou to let him take that pounding. Bring in a fielder to pitch if you want to toss the game at that point. It was obvious that Harper had nothing. Why let him get undressed like that?

Tune in tomorow for the news on Randy Johnson.

Comments on June 21st vs. The Devil Rays

1. Brad
      June 21st, 2005 | 11:16 pm

What in the world makes you think the Red Sox are concerned about the Yankees at this point? They have done nothing but beat up on NY lately, and watching RJ (the worst signing I’ve seen go down in quite some time in NY), I’m not sure I blame them. Who, in NY’s rotation, outside of the occasional Moose, do you think Boston and Baltimore are worried about going against? It’s Tampa Bay man, and it’s NY beating up on a short stop turned pitcher. The story of this game has to be Johnson, more Johnson, and even more Johnson. Hey, maybe (now I’m saying it for the millionth time this year) this will be the game to get NY off the snide. Perhaps Pavano can keep the score out of double digits tomorrow against Kazmir, NY can only hope.

2. JJay
      June 22nd, 2005 | 8:34 am

I have to agree. This game didn’t impress me much. I’m happy they came back to win but the Yankees probably would have done worse hitting off a tee.

I think we’ll be very disappointed with the RJ deal all throughout his contract.

3. June 22nd, 2005 | 9:20 am

I hope you guys are right and that the Red Sox pay no attention to the Yankees – and do not fear them. I’d gladly be wrong in this case if that, the Sox looking past NY, can happen.

4. Jason O.
      June 22nd, 2005 | 9:57 am

NYY fans must not fall victim to the mythically perfect vision of how they want the Yanks to perform.

A win is a win. When the Sox were 9 games back in the standings last season, did they care about how they won from that point on?

Should Johnson have pitched better? Of course. Would you take the highest staff ERA in MLB to win 4 out of 5 for the rest of the season in last night’s fashion?

Brad, I hope today’s game is 10-1. But if the Yanks win 10-8, I’m equally as happy.

5. hopbitters
      June 22nd, 2005 | 10:00 am

I disagree about taking out Harper. Tampa Bay was not going to come back at that point. Why waste more pitchers in a massacre? If a pitcher is really that fragile that one inning is going to ruin his career, he shouldn’t be out there in the first place. It’s not like he got into the situation through no fault of his own, either. Finish what you started.

6. phil
      June 22nd, 2005 | 10:01 am

1) Randy had a bad game…if he gets pounded by the mets- then I worry

2) I think we need to focus on the 20 runs…rather- let’s focus on the 10-2 lead and the fact that we came back- I don’t care who you are facing- it has to be worth something….two weeks ago- this team loses 13-4.

3) Could Pinella ask to be fired any louder? I mean- with the President (or VP?) of the D-Rays in attendance? I think he just sent another big F U to his boss.

4) Poor Harper- I actually did feel bad for him…but then again- he makes more than I do.

7. Sean
      June 22nd, 2005 | 12:29 pm

A win is a win. I don’t care how the yankees win anymore. Yankz need to catch up to the O’s and Sox.
      Man, did harper take a beating. Lou definitely wants to get by Tampa front office.

June 22nd, 2005 | 3:22 pm

Re: Harper -

It’s called “taking one for the team”

He isn’t the first, he won’t be the last.