• June 24th vs. The Mets

Posted by on June 24th, 2005 · Comments (9)

It was both painful and boring for the first eight innings tonight, watching Pedro and the Mets pretty much have their way with the Yankees – sans, perhaps, Jeter and A-Rod at the plate. It was not right up there with having root canal while watching paint dry, but it was close.

And, guess what……..Sean Henn gets the start tomorrow!

Oh, and, by the way, the Red Sox are now in 1st place.

Ever see the movie Blade – Trinity? There’s a scene where the character Hannibal King runs into a room with a dog and he says something – then he sees two more dogs and says something else. That’s kind of my reaction to tonight. I said the “something” when the last out of the game was made tonight. And, when I saw the finals for the Sox and O’s on ESPN.com afterwards, I said the “something else.”

The “something” is a four-letter word followed by the word “me.”
    The “something else” is that same four-letter word, followed by the words “me sideways.” I think you can figure it out.

Comments on June 24th vs. The Mets

1. Jen
      June 25th, 2005 | 1:08 am

Just one question. Not that it matters much, but was Womack out at first on that bunt?

2. Don
      June 25th, 2005 | 1:21 am

It amazes me that Mussina gets so little criticism. But another instance of the team needing a big effort from him and he fails.

3. June 25th, 2005 | 7:39 am

Jen – it was bang-bang – but, on the replay he was out by an inch, if that. But, Kaat thought the ump made the right call.

Don – Mussina is a see-saw. He would get ripped more – but, just about the time he should, he wins a big one and buys himself some rope. I think that helps him. But, the fact that he does not win the needed game more often is the reason why he’s never been considered an ace – - and is just a #2 man, at best.

June 25th, 2005 | 10:24 am

Last year Mussina had an off year. He’s 35, so I don’t know if it’s a random thing, or if this is the beginning of the end. Steve, you want to run the RSAA?

As for the “ace” comment, Mussina had better numbers than Clemens for the time they spent together on the Yanks.

5. June 25th, 2005 | 10:57 am

Sometimes, the quality of being an ace, goes beyond the stats.

June 25th, 2005 | 12:43 pm

“Sometimes, the quality of being an ace, goes beyond the stats.”

How so?

7. Don
      June 25th, 2005 | 1:51 pm

Mussina is here through 2006, at $17 million this year and next. Not worth it. There is a club option for a seventh season or they can pay him $1.5 million if they opt out. I wish that option was for 2006 and not 2007.

8. June 25th, 2005 | 8:54 pm

//How so?//

June 26th, 2005 | 9:15 am

“By being the guy, who, no matter what his season stats, wins the games that you need to win.”

All a starting pitcher can do is put his team in a position to win. Can’t worry about anything else, like run support, defense, bullpen, etc.

In the comparision I mentioned above, Mussina/Clemens, Moose has better numbers than Clemens; threw more innings, more CG, shutouts and has a better ERA. Mussina gave his team more chances or a better chance to win than Clemens. Yet Clemens is viewed as the “ace” of the Yankee staff because he has more “wins.”

I see why Blyleven is on the outside looking in the HoF, and people talk up Jack Morris…

weird.