• Trade Target Suggestions

Posted by on June 24th, 2005 · Comments (7)

Cash, if you’re listening…..can the Yankees trade for:

Mike Gonzalez – Lefty, 90+, with a good slider – for the pen. (Bye Stanton.)

Dan Wheeler – RH RP, who has found himself in Houston – to replace Quantrill.

and………

try and get Randy Winn to play CF until Brett Gardner is ready. He can take Womack’s place on the roster.

The price tags for Gonzalez, Wheeler and Winn are probably low enough that New York would not have to part with Cano or Wang.

How about Marcos Vechionacci for Gonzalez, Tyler Clippard and Jeff Marquez for Winn, and Melky Cabrera for Wheeler? Or, at least offer these as a starting point. You don’t get a black eye for asking.

Comments on Trade Target Suggestions

1. June 24th, 2005 | 5:00 pm

I was looking at Stanton and at least he has some specialist quality. He’s holding lefties to a .174 BA right now. I’m not saying he should definitely be left, but if he is… at least he has something. He has some use where Quantrill has both sides oft he plate hitting over .300 against him.

I hope Wheeler doesn’t equal Witasick.

2. Don
      June 24th, 2005 | 5:18 pm

How do you know Cashman hasn’t asked? No one does except Cashman and the other GM. I must say that many Yankee fans act as if they didn’t win four WS in five years. IMO there is too much wrong with this team to ‘fix’ it in order to win a WS in 2005. I’ll be happy to be proven wrong.

Don’t forget how much GS plays into this. Didnt he say after the WS loss in 2001 that he wanted to win another [WS] before he died? Deadly statement that.

3. Paul in Farifield
      June 24th, 2005 | 5:36 pm

I agree, moving Stanton is probably not the best move right now. With a host of great power hitting lefties in the AL East, Stanton could prove to be invaluable down the line. That being said, I agree with Don. I just listened to the Cashman interview on the FAN, and while he did not say who he has been talking to, he did say that he has probably talked to 25 of the MLB teams. He also said that, upon his request, Cano and Wang should not be dealt. I hate to beat a already dead horse, but upon hearing Cashman say “I dont really believe that the bullpen and starting pitchers are the problem with this team, and I think with the pitchers we have now, we could go deep into the playoffs”, it only proves the following:
      He is not willing to admit the mistakes he made with this staff.
      He is not willing to throw GS under the bus for his influence on the last four off- seasons.
      Or, he is just as useless as the Woe-Mack signing.
      Starting pitchers and bullpen help is EXACTLY what this team needs, and no matter how meaningless some of Lombardi’s posts are (you konw, comparing all the what-if’s, almosts, and could’ve beens), this staff is not only bad, but really, really bad. I swear to God, if this team goes out and gets Griffey or some other washed up talent to play the OF, and ignores the obvious need for pitching, it will go down as one of the most bone-headed teams ever. Picking up the contracts of MORE big hitters is not the answer…No matter how good the hitter, pitching always wins, and to realize this fact, one only need look as far as every playoff game ever played.

4. Don
      June 24th, 2005 | 5:57 pm

I doubt that Gonzalez can be had for a low price, if at all. Would you trade him for Vechionacci if you were the Pirates? I don’t think so, so if he were on the market there would be a bidding war. Lefties are always in demand. Especially young guys.

He has a lot of walks this year. That may not translate into success in the pressure cooker of New York or a pennant race.

BTW…… On Mike and the Mad Dog today, Cashman basically called Cano untouchable. FWIW

5. Don
      June 24th, 2005 | 6:08 pm

Paul, Cashman also said that they didn’t want to add more payroll, seemingly precluding a high priced vet. Hopefully this means GS has realized you cannot throw money and win a pennant. We’ll see.

I don’t think Cashman believes they cannot improve the pitching but he isn’t going after high priced vets. If they could add a young, inexpensive arm in the bullpen theyd do it, for the right price.

6. Paul In Fairfield
      June 24th, 2005 | 6:39 pm

FWIW, I’m currently watching the Red Sox Pregame on NESN, and they are talking about something that pains me to hear. Theo and the Red Sox and are currently in talks with the Giants. The rumore has it that it will be Shoppach and possibly some kid named Pedroya (who is supposed to be pretty good) for Schmidt. I have been worried that something like this would go down. They also said that possibly Jay Payton would be involved in the mid because they are almost ready to bring up Hanley Ramirez from the minors, and I guess he could do just as well as Jay Payton. This is absolut HUGE news if this happens, and even worse news for everyone else in the AL East. Anyone else heard anything else on this?

June 25th, 2005 | 1:50 pm

If there’s a Schmidt rumor, I’m sure they’ll talk about it during today’s Sawx – Phils game