• David Wells On The State Of The Yankees

Posted by on June 27th, 2005 · Comments (8)

In the Globe today:

David Wells, who was twice a Yankee and before signing with the Red Sox last winter called Brian Cashman and tried to talk the Yankees’ general manager into a third go-round, was asked his thoughts on the Bombers’ current travails, which had them just over .500 (38-37) after last night’s win over the Mets.

“I don’t know and I don’t care,” the Sox pitcher said. “I’m glad I’m where I’m at. That’s their problem, and you can go ask them.

“But I don’t think George [Steinbrenner] is too happy. I think he’s about ready to clean house, tell Brian to trade everybody and then fire him. I’ll take him, though, because Cashman is a great guy. He’s been good to me.”

For a guy who says “I don’t know and I don’t care” Boomer then goes on even more, in the piece, to talk about Bernie and the Big Unit too.

Wells has some ideas here. And, it’s hard for him hide them. After all, when he gets an idea, the light bulb goes on for all to see…..

fester.jpg

Comments on David Wells On The State Of The Yankees

1. Jen
      June 27th, 2005 | 1:37 pm

Spoken like a true Red Sock.

2. June 27th, 2005 | 2:03 pm

If the Sox make the post-season this year, I just hope that Wells comes through for them like he did for NY in Game 5 of the 2003 WS.

3. Jason O.
      June 27th, 2005 | 2:54 pm

Wells has less credibility than Jose Canseco.

4. June 27th, 2005 | 3:58 pm

I met Wells when I was younger. Never quite thought the same of them since then, but suffice to say… I was glad when he wasn’t brought back.

5. June 27th, 2005 | 4:04 pm

*him, not them

6. Paul in Fairfield
      June 27th, 2005 | 4:53 pm

Here’s the difference -
      As it stands right now, the Red Sox will most likely not use Wells in a short series unless he’s just filthy at the time.
      And, after all of the big games Wells DID win for NY, it’s a shame people on this site decide to rip him over one pitch to Ortiz, or you konw, the best clutch hitter in baseball over the past two years.
      C’Mon people, even Clemens got a standing ovation in Fenway every time he took the mound. Lets not turn into everything we did not like about the old Red Sox, and give some credit where credit is due.
      Wells is great pitcher, who more times than not, comes through in tight situations. Theo made a great move, with a great contract for Wells. The contract is entirely performance based, and if he comes through, he gets paid. Cashman should be so smart to pull something like this off. Just as he did with Wade Miller (who I watched go 8 scoreless against Cleveland the other day), this Wells signing was brilliant on the Red Sox behalf.
      Or, maybe everyone is happy with Pavano and Wright’s performance so far?

7. Jen
      June 27th, 2005 | 5:21 pm

Patrick, was it you that had a story on your blog about getting stiffed by Wells for an autograph?

8. June 27th, 2005 | 11:07 pm

Yes, Jen, that may have been me. :)

I’ve only posted it at my site and at Alex’s… it’s not like I’ve tried to spread it around. Funny that you would have seen it. :-D

Paul,

I’m not ripping him, really. Not over 1 pitch to Ortiz, anyway. I don’t even remember what pitch you’re talking about. That’s how much it left a mark on me. Wells put up good numbers in New York and for the Yankees and I don’t argue that.

He’s just not a guy I’d want on my team, that’s all. Not a guy I’d want to rely on.

And, it’s all fine and dandy to point out Yankees who haven’t pitched that well just this year only. That said, I’d certainly take Pavano over Wells. Wells has an ERA of 5.