• Home Sweet Giambi

Posted by on June 27th, 2005 · Comments (21)

Some Giambi splits, thanks to Baseball Musings Day by Day Database:

Since April 26th, BA/OBA/SLG:

Away: .241/.362/.328
    Home: .302/.429/.397

Since May 26th:

Away: .261/.414/.304
    Home: .350/.469/.500

Yes, that’s .350/.469/.500 – - Needless to say, in his last 13 home games, we’re seeing the “old” Jason Giambi. But, what’s going on with these road stats? Could it be that the BALCO-steroids-cheater-stuff chants/booing is getting to him?

Comments on Home Sweet Giambi

1. June 27th, 2005 | 2:36 pm

Steve, I’ve been all over the site trying to find how to contact you, but couldn’t find an email address anywhere. I apologize for posting the message here. Could you please contact me @ mmcgough@gmail.com? Thanks – Matt

June 27th, 2005 | 2:36 pm

we’ll have to look at his career #’s as a Yank. We’ll also have to look as his career #’s in general. The evidence as presented is inconclusive.

June 27th, 2005 | 2:55 pm

Ah, Retrosheet! As a Yank;

2004
      h- .211 .340 .336
      r- .206 .343 .419

2003
      h- .237 .416 .435
      r- .262 .408 .610

2002
      h- .333 .449 .601
      r- .296 .422 .596

You may be on to something here… When I get time, if I can remember, I’ll look @ the time in Oakland. But as is, he’s doing better @ home this year and in 2002.

4. June 27th, 2005 | 2:57 pm

Raf – in his Yankees career, to date:

Home: .272/.418/.475
      Away: .262/.396/.543

what do you think?

5. phil
      June 27th, 2005 | 3:35 pm

Giambi sweats more than any human being on the planet. Every game he looks like someone hits him with a fire hose.

I think he sweats while he is showering.

6. June 27th, 2005 | 4:08 pm

.350/.469 is not the old Giambi. It’s the old Giambi on steroids.

Bad joke…

7. Jason O.
      June 27th, 2005 | 4:37 pm

Phil,

More than Ewing from the 2nd quarter on?

More than every character in an average John Grisham flick set in the South?? Remember “A Time to Kill?”

Samuel L. Jackson and McConaghey sweat enough to fill a swimming pool. Even Ashley Judd had a fine glaze….Ashley Judd with a fine glaze makes me momentarily forget about the last seven games of the homestand.

Bottom line: The Yanks might actually need Giambi back to 3/4 of his old production to mount a charge.

8. phil
      June 27th, 2005 | 4:42 pm

oh….I would pay 29.99 to see Giambi vs. Ewing in a “sweat-off”- who can fill up a 2 liter bottle first.

I think Ewing would win just due to shear body mass….but pound for pound- I think Giambi is the Sweating Champ.

Ashley Judd helps me forget about any yankee season from 1981 to 1993.

9. Jen
      June 27th, 2005 | 4:52 pm

Not to get off topic even more… but if I had a fraction of the eye candy that you guys get at the Stadium this whole season would be a little easier to deal with.

10. June 27th, 2005 | 4:54 pm

FWIW, my bride, who follows the Yankees, but not to the level that I do, always makes that comment on Giambi when she sees him in a game – along the lines of – “Look at him, he’s red in the face, sweating like a pig, and it looks like his head is about to explode.”

What is interesting here is that diuretics may be used to mask steroid use. But, do diuretics lends towards hyperhidrosis? I dunno. Any doctors in the house?

11. June 27th, 2005 | 4:57 pm

Jen – the creatures aren’t candy enough?

12. Jen
      June 27th, 2005 | 5:24 pm

June 27th, 2005 | 5:59 pm

//Steve, they’re a fun group to be around, but most of them ain’t much to look at :-)//

lol…

Haven’t been out there in a while. I first was hipped to them when Ali Ramierez died. Actually was sitting with them in 96 when the Yanks clinched against the Brewers.

I was able to get playoff tickets from them back in ’97; the Creatures are ok with me.

They cleaned up their “act” a lot.

Jen, you wouldn’t know a Jason Mills, would ya? College buddy of mine had mentioned he had a friend who was a diehard Yanks fan also named Jen. While I realize Jen/Jenny/Jennifer’s a common name, it would be pretty cool IMO if you were the one he was talking about.

14. Jen
      June 27th, 2005 | 8:04 pm

“They cleaned up their “act” a lot.”

Much of that isn’t of their own accord. The cops have been cracking down on many of their songs and such.

I’ve sat out there a number of times each season since I came home from college in ’97. This is my first year with season tickets. (btw, if anyone wants to sit out there sometime, I often find myself with an extra ticket)

Sorry, don’t know a Jason Mills.

15. June 27th, 2005 | 8:06 pm

And, I would love to know what happened to Chris “Jungle” Cary – last seen in Ohio, I believe?

16. Brad
      June 27th, 2005 | 9:36 pm

I cannot believe there is a thread anywhere in the world, especially on a pretty good site such as this one, praising Jason Giambi.

17. Jen
      June 27th, 2005 | 10:30 pm

Brad, I don’t see anyone really praising Giambi in this thread. They’re just throwing up home and away stats, and Steve merely said that in his last few games he’s putting up numbers like he used to.

There are plenty of sites around where you can find Giambi bashing threads (and general “the sky is falling” type stuff). It’s refreshing to have at least one that’s looking for something good to talk about. I, for one, welcome Steve’s optimism.

18. June 27th, 2005 | 10:46 pm

Thanks Jen. FWIW, I just try to be fair. When someone does a good job, I say it. When they do a bad job, I say it. I never want to play favorites and nor do I want to bash for no reason. The play of the team/player will decide what’s reported here – not me.

Brad, FWIW as well, trust me, I’ve called it like I’ve seen it on Giambi, all along, as it goes. You might want to see some stuff I wrote in another place this past winter:

LIke I said, I’ll comment on the bad – but, then, to be fair, I have to comment on the good too.

19. June 27th, 2005 | 10:58 pm

Giambi has done well in June. If he can hit .300 and keep his OBA above .400, he’ll be a good part of this team. There is no reason to be slamming him at all right now.

June 28th, 2005 | 12:20 am

Raf – in his Yankees career, to date:

Home: .272/.418/.475
      Away: .262/.396/.543

what do you think?

================================

.893 OPS vs a .939 OPS. Looks like he’s a bit better on the road. I wonder how park factors affect his numbers, as Yankee Stadium’s a pitcher’s park. He definately slugs better on the road, and the differences in OBP is negligable

21. June 28th, 2005 | 7:32 am

Lot more nightclubs in NYC too.