• June 27th @ The Orioles

Posted by on June 27th, 2005 · Comments (14)

Taking advantage of walks and balks, plunking batters when they’re getting too comfortable at the plate, having your starter get to the point in a game where you can use your desired bullpen plan, and busting it down the line on potential DP grounders. Amazing how when you do all this stuff, you stay in the game and eventually win it, huh?

Personally, I’ll take this as a chance to voice my displeasure of the balk rule. Yes, I know it’s been on the books for like-forever. But, I think it’s one rule that you could ditch and it would add to the game rather than take away from it. Why shouldn’t a pitcher be able to deceive a runner? Isn’t that what they do with the fake throws to 2nd and 3rd?

In any event, it was a good day to win, beat the team in front of you, and post the “W” while the Red Sox were getting beat up at Fenway. (By the way, thanks for the “tip” tonight in Fenway Christopher Trotman. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.)

But, here’s the deal: The Yankees cannot afford to let these uplifting wins in the last two games fool them. They are not turning a corner now, etc. Why? Because they did not turn it around after their 10-game winning streak, like we thought it was turning at that time. Nor did they turn it around after their 5-game winning streak, like we thought at that time. And, they did not turn it around after their 6-game winning streak, etc.

Therefore, two wins in a row, while nice, is just like treating a broken leg with an aspirin. It’s not going to properly heal and will remain a serious matter of trouble.

The Yankees still need to address the issues with why this team is where it is at this junction of the season.

Tomorrow is a big day for the Yankees. The “eight highest officials” in Yankeeland will meet in Tampa for a meeting at 3:30 p.m. to discuss the team. I hope they’re going to look past the last two nights and make the right calls on what’s needed – and then go do it.

I know that Big Stein said the other day that it’s all in Torre’s “lap” now – but, that’s not right. It’s in the lap of the one and only true Yankees “Boss” – the mack daddy of turtlenecks, G.M.S. the 3rd. Brace for impact.

Comments on June 27th @ The Orioles

1. Don
      June 28th, 2005 | 12:37 am

There’s the problem, eight(!) officials. Should be just GS, Cashman and Gene Michael.

2. June 28th, 2005 | 7:24 am

Too many cooks, I know, is a bad thing. But, maybe you need 7 guys outside of Stein to convince him not to do someting like trading Wang or Cano? If that’s the case, I’m OK with the eight.

3. Jason O.
      June 28th, 2005 | 9:22 am

It was very satisfying to get those cheap runs to tie the game.

Kotsay or Winn…Probably Kotsay, but I’m almost indifferent.

June 28th, 2005 | 9:41 am

As long as they don’t do anything stupid…

I agree with Don that 8 is too much. If anything,

The owner
      The GM
      The MGR (via conference call?)
      The Director of Scouting

are the only people who should be in this meeting.

5. hopbitters
      June 28th, 2005 | 9:42 am

I really wonder what those guys say to Stein other than “yes, sir” and “can I seal my lips to that, sir?”. How much argument from a baseball genius does it take to reveal that Jaret Wright would best serve the team pitching for somebody else? Did they really have that much trouble explaining to George why they needed to pick up at least one real OF in the offseason? I know Bobby Crosby was looking like the next Tris Speaker out there, but they didn’t do _anything_. I’m not saying they should have gotten in a bidding war for the overpriced Beltran, but they needed _someone_ that could play out there and they came up with nothing. Either Stein will not be moved or these guys haven’t even tried.

6. hopbitters
      June 28th, 2005 | 9:47 am

erm, Bubba Crosby, not Bobby.

7. phil
      June 28th, 2005 | 10:14 am

I honestly do not think that firing Torre is on the agenda for this meeting.

I think the focus is on these things:

1) how do we get a CF?
      2) how do we get a 5th starter?
      3) how do we get that one extra arm for the pen?
      4) most importantly how do we do this- and not trade our youth?

Joe Torre is not the issue- especially if 8 people are showing up. If this was about Torre- there would be 2-3 people tops at this meeting.

June 28th, 2005 | 11:21 am

5) Can we find a sucker to take Womack? lol

9. phil
      June 28th, 2005 | 11:46 am

6) …and Brown
      7) …and Wright
      8) Find Shane Spencer

10. Jen
      June 28th, 2005 | 11:59 am

“8) Find Shane Spencer”

He’s in Japan with the Hanshin Tigers.

11. Jason O.
      June 28th, 2005 | 1:02 pm

Meanwhile, the team is 5.5 games behind the division leader.

The Yanks have a 4 game series with the division leader immediately after the break.

Hopefully these “YANKEES IN TURMOIL” headlines keep up, to provide a diversion so the team slides into the break at a relatively unreported 2 to 4 games out of first, and lies in wait for that 4 game series like Julius Caesar’s Tenth Legion.

12. phil
      June 28th, 2005 | 5:01 pm

Jason….I’m with you there

Then Russell Crowe in full Gladiator garb can crouch down in the dugout prior to the first game vs. the Sox and whisper to the Yankee team…

“at my command…unleash hell.”

13. Jen
      June 28th, 2005 | 5:14 pm

“at my command…unleash hell.”

Wouldn’t it be great if they used that on the Diamond Vision at the Stadium? I mean, I love Rocky and all, but it’s getting kind of stale. If they insist on retreading classics they should at least bring back “We’re Not Gonna Take It”.

14. June 29th, 2005 | 9:59 am

I’d just be happy to see YMCA and Cotton Eye Joe put to rest.