• Cameron for Sheffield?

Posted by on June 29th, 2005 · Comments (8)

From the Bergen Record:

The Yankees’ search for a younger, quicker outfield led them to a tentative deal with the Mets that would’ve sent Gary Sheffield to Shea in exchange for Mike Cameron and Miguel Cairo, according to a major league executive who’d been briefed on the talks.

It was the Yankees who initiated discussion during this past weekend’s Subway Series, according to the source. Saturday’s 10-3 loss to the Mets convinced GM Brian Cashman that Bernie Williams’ rapid decline and the absence of a bona fide replacement would cost the Yankees any chance of getting to the postseason.

The Mets are believed to be seriously interested in Sheffield, and are now waiting for the Yankees to make a formal offer.

But, the other day, the NYT has Sheffield saying:

“I’m not going anywhere,” said Sheffield, who is signed through 2006. “If I have to go somewhere, I won’t go. If they said, ‘Wouldn’t you want to get paid?’ I’d say, ‘I’ve got plenty of money.’ I’m not playing nowhere else. I can promise you that.”

I think that I know what the Yankees are thinking here. One, they need a CF and the market is tight there. Two, they’re probably thinking that Sheffield will be a major headache next season – looking for an extension, etc. – and want to head that off at the pass. And, do you want to have to give Sheff a contract for a season when he’s going to be 38?

But, what I do know is that Sheffield is the one batter who strikes fear into the hearts of teams playing the Yankees. You take him out of the line-up, and you have a huge whole that cannot be filled – esp. with Cameron’s bat. I mean, for cryin’ out loud, Sheffield is your number three hitter!

You do not trade your number three hitter. So, hopefully, this is just smoke to get the A’s and/or M’s to lower the prices for their CFers on the market. That would be the smart thing to do, right?

Or, is it a mistake to assume that Cerberus can make the right choice sometimes?

Comments on Cameron for Sheffield?

1. phil
      June 29th, 2005 | 11:24 am

one question- say they make this trade, who plays RF?

Any you have to ask- how mnay runs are they saving by improving their CF, and does that make up for the number of runs they are losing by getting rid of Sheff?

Unless the Mets sweeten the deal somehow- I don’t think this is a good trade at all.

I heard they are throwing in Cairo? Like we need another 2B

2. June 29th, 2005 | 11:28 am

I would guess that the OF would be Williams in LF, assuming Bernie finally gets his butt there, and then Matsui in RF.

I still think this is a trade that will never happen.

3. June 29th, 2005 | 11:43 am

I’m not opposed to trading Sheff, IF the right deal came along. This is not the right deal.

4. Jason O.
      June 29th, 2005 | 12:38 pm

The potential Kotsay deals make more sense.

5. phil
      June 29th, 2005 | 1:44 pm

I agree- I think this is all a ruse to force some other teams to make a move.

6. June 29th, 2005 | 1:58 pm

I’m against it.

7. Don
      June 29th, 2005 | 2:04 pm

Wow! Those Metsies are generous, throwing in Miguel Cairo.

I do not believe any such deal has even been discussed. Just reporters making things up.

8. June 29th, 2005 | 9:55 pm

That’s that!

//New York Yankees manager Joe Torre reassured right-fielder Gary Sheffield that he isn’t being traded to the cross-town Mets.

Sheffield, 36, was upset by a New York Post report that the struggling Yankees were considering dealing him for two-time Gold Glove centre-fielder Mike Cameron.

“I cannot sit here and blame the Yankees for other teams wanting me, so let’s clear that up,” said Sheffield, who signed with the Yankees for three years and $39 million on Dec. 13, 2003.

“I understand that. But I’m just letting you know, if it happens, it becomes personal.”

That’s because Sheffield, who negotiates his own contracts, relented on a no-trade clause.

“I’m not going to accept this because of the concessions I made,” he stated. “If I have to go somewhere else, a lot of things are going to have to be changed or you’re going to have an unhappy player.

“I’ll ask for everything. Period.

“You want to inconvenience me, I’m going to inconvenience every situation there is.

“The only reason I’m playing is that I wanted to play for the Yankees. If I don’t get that opportunity, things change.”//