• Melky Cabrera

Posted by on June 29th, 2005 · Comments (6)

News on M.C.:

With the Yankees in the market for a new centerfielder and trade talks heating up, the organization moved one of its top prospects, Trenton Thunder centerfielder Melky Cabrera, to triple-A Columbus. Cabrera, 20, is hitting .267 with nine home runs and 44 runs batted in.

You do not move a 20-year old from Double-A to Triple-A, when he’s batting .267 in AA, unless something is up.

Worth noting.

Comments on Melky Cabrera

1. Anonymous
      June 29th, 2005 | 5:35 pm

Kevin Thompson must be wondering what more he’s gotta do to get someone’s attention. Batting .329/.434/.555, 25SB, started in CF for Trenton last night. Granted he’s too old to be a real prospect but he’s still a year and a half younger than Reese…

Great blog, by the way.

2. June 29th, 2005 | 7:23 pm

I’ve got nothing on Kevin at all – so, he’s not on many prospects lists. Still, an OPS near 1 is something to look it. And, thanks for the kind words!

3. michael
      July 5th, 2005 | 11:51 pm

both are at AAA and melky is tearing it up

4. Rob
      July 7th, 2005 | 4:55 pm

And now he’s in the Majors. Worth nothing you said?

Dullard.

5. July 7th, 2005 | 11:02 pm

I wouldn’t say anyone “tears it up” in just nine games. I’m very excited that Melky has been brought up to the Bronx but concerned at the same time that they may have promoted him too quickly.

Major League pitchers will find holes in your swing and exploit them, relegating you to a long, embarrassing string of strikeouts, weak grounders and pop flies until they turn your confidence into a simpering pile of goo.

I understand Melky is being brought up for his glove and to see if we can plug the hole in center field without having to make a trade for a Kotsay or another established CF, but prospects go through the system for a reason.

Let’s hope Melky can adjust as quickly as Robinson Cano can.

We’re all in his corner.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kevin Thompson get his shot in Spring Training next year – he could take the backup outfielder role in 2006 with an eye towards giving him Sheffield’s right field spot in 2007 when his contract expires. It could be like getting Paul O’Neill all over again – without having to trade anything away.

Let’s hope tomorrow night’s game isn’t rained out. I’m excited about seeing Chien-Ming Wang, Robinson Cano and Melky Cabrera all in the same game.

6. miguel jimenez
      July 8th, 2005 | 2:42 pm

I PLAYED BASEBALL WITH MELKY CABRERA IN DOMINICAN REPUBLIC AT AGE 11-16 YEARS OLD, MELKY IS NOT A PROSPECT IS A MLB PLAYER, HE ALWAYS HAS A SWING KILLER, I REMEMBER PLAY THE RIGHT FIELD AND MELKY THE CENTER, HE HAS A STRONG ARM, GOOD LEGS AND EXCELENT GLOVE.
      I DESIRE THE BEST TO MELKY HE WORK TO BE MLB PLAYER.