• Good-Bye Q and Stanton

Posted by on June 30th, 2005 · Comments (7)

From the News:

Mike Stanton and Paul Quantrill could be traded or released during the Bombers’ off day in Detroit, as both veteran relievers appeared to be saying goodbye to teammates late last night.

One Yankee insider wasn’t certain what method the Yanks might use to cut ties with Stanton and Quantrill, but indicated the Bombers were looking to get younger in their bullpen.

Well, a week ago, I wrote that these two were just taking up space. So, this is not a shock.

They’ll both land somewhere. No need to shed any tears here.

Comments on Good-Bye Q and Stanton

June 30th, 2005 | 10:56 am

No need to get younger in the pen, they need to get more effective in the pen

2. June 30th, 2005 | 1:30 pm

Looks like they were both DFA’ed: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8417544/

3. Don
      June 30th, 2005 | 1:36 pm

Another day, another rumor.

Sheffield to the Marlins for A. J. Burnett and Encarnacion.

Frankly, after hearing Sheffield on Mike and the Mad Dog yesterday, I don’t think teams will want to trade for him. But who knows.

June 30th, 2005 | 2:13 pm

//As far as more effective, face it, the kids could have an ERA of five and a half and be more effective than Stanton and Q were this year.//

No doubt in my mind about that. I’m just saying, older or younger, they just need to be effective.

My p.o.v has always been that it doesn’t make any sense to pay a “proven veteran” when you can get the same (if not more) from an “untested rookie.” What’s even better is that whomever gets the call (Anderson, Bean & Proctor?) has the possiblity of maybe emerging into a setup/closer, at a fraction of the cost :D

Player Development rules!

5. June 30th, 2005 | 2:45 pm

I hope that Sheff to FLA rumor is just to run up the price for the O’s and Sox.

6. phil
      June 30th, 2005 | 4:51 pm

I actually like the Sheff deal for Juan and Burnett…well- I like it better than the Cameron deal.

Burnett has great #’s…but again- he’s an NL pitcher….enough with NL pitchers already!!!

7. June 30th, 2005 | 8:07 pm

Also, Burnett doesn’t have great numbers and Encarnacion is a stiff.