• July 3rd @ The Tigers

Posted by on July 3rd, 2005 · Comments (13)

First 1-0 win since July of last year. Wow.

Well, this locks it up – the Yankees will be a .500 team at the half-way mark of this season. Imagine that even being a question.

I joined this one in the bottom of the 6th. Looks like I did not miss much. But, I have to confess, when Wang came out after just 98 pitches thrown, and then Gordon almost walked the lead-off batter in the 8th, and then gave up two long outs, and then Mo gave up the lead-off double to start the 9th, I was thinking there, a few times, why did they take out Wang?

I cannot say enough about the value of Wang during the first half of this season. Counting today, he’s started 11 games and 8 of them have been “quality starts.”

He has to be in the running for A.L. Rookie of the Year.

Comments on July 3rd @ The Tigers

1. July 3rd, 2005 | 10:05 pm

It is unfortunate that you make comments like you do, and you have missed much by missing the initial innings of a game. This game was one of the best of the season. It was a pitchers’ duel and one of grand proportions as each team came to bat with the game on the line and runners on base, and each pitcher working in and out of trouble. It was a chess match between two pitchers who were trying their very best. We needed a pitcher to start on short rest. Chien-Ming Wang was asked by his manager to “do this for me,” and he did. If your blog title is “was watching,” then watch, or shut up.

Scott,
      yankeesmvp1@yahoo.com,
      feel free to email me because I think you need to watch or shut up
      I watch every game and base my opinions on what I see. I have a full time job and I do a ton of charity work, but I never, never give an opinion unless I have seen the events. Please watch or retitle you blog. Long signature, but hey, truth.

2. July 3rd, 2005 | 10:33 pm

Scott – no one is forcing you to read my blog. If it bothers you in some way, then just don’t read it.

3. Scott Coulter
      July 3rd, 2005 | 11:47 pm

Oh My God, Thank you for your permission to not read your blog.

It was recommended to me by my brother in law.

Suck a turd. I hate it when people think they are untouchable. Such an attitude from people who then think everything they write is publishable. Go squirt in your toilette, stupid man. You have grabbed some airwaves and you are irresponsible in what you publish. Ugh. Irresponsible is the most damning word I can conjure. Unfortunately you have a popular blog. My voice is a minority. Ill breath from bad breakfast to those who don’t actually watch!!!!

Scott

4. Scott Coulter
      July 4th, 2005 | 12:00 am

After re-reading, I think you missed my point.
      Stop publishing! Is that so hard? It has nothing to do with my reading. You need to stop publishing. Why is this so hard for morons? Oops, I answer my own question. Sorry! Do Over?

5. Joel Tabin
      July 4th, 2005 | 12:29 am

On a staff with three pitchers who have won 200+ games, including a first ballot hall-of-famer, Wang is the ace. Incredible.

6. hopbitters
      July 4th, 2005 | 8:55 am

Wang threw a lot of pitches in the 5th (25), but not the 6th (11). Maybe Torre didn’t want him to face Polanco? (plunk, plunk, triple) They hadn’t faced each other prior to this game, though. In any case, enjoy the Fourth, Steve. And everybody else, too. :)

7. July 4th, 2005 | 9:05 am

Ditto the 4th thoughts!
      Have a happy – and a SAFE – one!

8. Phil
      July 4th, 2005 | 10:48 am

Hey Steve

Thanks for the blog.

Today’s game – actually, Wang was hit hard but the line drives got caught. The great thing about him is that even when his sinker isn’t working, he’s got that composure. Nothing seems to throw him off. He’s the real thing.

But why wasn’t his sinker working. It may have been ’cause he got nailed with that line drive last game, but we also have to be ready for a dead arm spell at some point this season. The rest of the rotation had better pick it up, and fast. I’m kind of dreading the series at Fenway after the all-star break, to tell the truth.

About me – MOntrealer living in Japan, became a Yankee’s fan because of seeing so many games here. I don’t care about the payroll. The Yanks have class, both as individuals (except maybe Sheffield, but he’s a great hitter so what the hell) and an organization.

Look forward to reading your blog the rest of this season.

9. July 4th, 2005 | 7:33 pm

Thanks Phil!
      Nice to have you on board!

10. Philly Phil
      July 5th, 2005 | 12:59 am

now we have 2 Phil’s?

I’ll have to change my user name to avoid confusion.

and a message for Scott Coulter- who apparently needs some more cheese to go with his whine- you said that you “never, never give an opinion unless I have seen the events”.

that could be one of the funniest things I have ever heard. so- you have no opinion on anything unless you have witnessed it firsthand?

And if you truly watch every inning of every game- I suggest you get out more…or do more of that charity work you do

11. JJay
      July 5th, 2005 | 10:49 am

What’s Wright’s status right now? And has there been any mention of what happens when he and KB are healthy? Wow, I just laughed reading what I just wrote. Healthy.

12. philly phil
      July 5th, 2005 | 11:24 am

Jared who?

13. July 5th, 2005 | 12:18 pm

I almost want to say that Wright has to battle Proctor his roster spot at this time.