• July 5th vs. The Orioles

Posted by on July 5th, 2005 · Comments (8)

Yesterday, I wrote:

As much as I wish that it could happen, the Yankees are not going to score 13 runs every game.

See, I told you so!

Seriously, the long ball explosion today was incredible. And, more importantly, Randy Johnson stepped up and provided exactly what the Yankees needed today – seven innings of strong pitching.

This gives the pen a much needed blow. And, to think that Unit did this after not going on 3 days rest since 1995.

One fact from today’s game that I found mind-boggling: This was Giambi’s first game with three extra-base hits since July 30, 2003. That’s just days away from being two full years. Wow.

Now that the team is getting hot, here’s the tricky part: They play only 4 games over the next 8 days before going to Fenway Park for a huge series with the Sox. Somehow, despite all that off time, they need to keep this hot streak going. It will be hard.

Comments on July 5th vs. The Orioles

1. Jen
      July 5th, 2005 | 8:28 pm

Did anyone catch Randy’s eephus pitch today? It looked like even he was laughing about it. I’m guessing he got some signs mixed up or something. It was also nice to see Roberts strike out 4 times.

Aside from the Yankees keeping their hot streak going, we have to hope that Baltimore can get their shit together for their 4 game stand against Boston.

2. July 5th, 2005 | 10:38 pm

I’d be happy if the O’s and Sox split the four games. Keep ‘em both on the treadmill.

On the pitch, I saw that Flash was taking the credit for it – saying that he didn’t signal location on a pitch and Unit just flipped it up there. Maybe he should start using it on a regular basis.

Maybe they can call it “The Big Lob” or “The Unit Floater” or something?

3. Joel
      July 5th, 2005 | 11:08 pm

When Giambi is hitting, the Yankees lineup just seems incredibly long.

The Orioles are toast. I really don’t think they are going to recover from these awful past 2-3 weeks. The pitching is just not there. I don’t have much hope for them against Boston.

And, for Lee Mazilli to leave Rodrigo Lopez, his most reliable starter, in the game to get bombed until it was 10-0 was ridiculous. I know his bullpen was thin, but there were at least 3 guys who could have mopped up. He spent about two minutes talking to Lopez on the mound when he finally yanked him. I hope he at least said, “I’m sorry for doing this to you.”

4. Jason O.
      July 6th, 2005 | 9:48 am

Does anyone else like El Caballero as DH? I like it a lot.
      Let’s not forget that Cleveland has been playing pretty well. Taking 3 of 4 is critical.

5. Jason O.
      July 6th, 2005 | 10:34 am

Hopefully, El Caballero stays at DH for a while.

6. July 6th, 2005 | 11:05 am

What’s Rube, like 8 for his last 15? Torre loves th hot hand. He’ll be playing.

7. jeroboam
      July 6th, 2005 | 11:42 am

“the long ball explosion today was incredible.”

Against what kind of pitching?

“One fact from today’s game that I found mind-boggling: This was Giambi’s first game with three extra-base hits since July 30, 2003.”

Could be simply an especially dramatic proof of just how badly the Orioles pitched yesterday.

“Now that the team is getting hot,”

Remains to be seen. Four in a row against the likes of Detroit and Baltimore isn’t much evidence.

“going to Fenway Park for a huge series with the Sox”

Right. If they win three there we can talk about the team possibly getting hot. I ain’t holding my breath.

“we have to hope that Baltimore can get their shit together for their 4 game stand against Boston.”

Judging from the really pathetic competition that they managed to give a thoroughly mediocre team like the 2005 Yankees, I’m expecting Boston to win 3 if not 4.

8. July 6th, 2005 | 12:01 pm

Indeed, the proof will be in the pudding.