• July 10th vs. The Indians

Posted by on July 10th, 2005 · Comments (12)

I missed the Yankees game today. But, I’m thrilled that they won – and are now just 2 and a 1/2 back as they head into the All-Star break. I wish I could say more about Randy Johnson’s “performance” today, or about Big Rube, or Giambi, or Melky’s OF play – or even our pal, Arthur Rhodes. But, since I did not see any of the game, all I can and should say is that it’s just flat out great to see the Yankees where they are in the standings – all things considered. Thank you AL East – for no one running away with this thing in the first half!

I did go see the Staten Island Yankees this early evening. They played the Williamsport Crosscutters. It was the perfect evening to enjoy the sight lines of the park in St. George. Prospect wise, I was not overly impressed with Brett Gardner or Jon Poterson – who were two players that I was anxious to see. But, one player I did see tonight left a good impression on me – and it was someone who I did not know anything about coming into the park.

The player is Tony Roth. He played 3B this evening and made a sparking play on a ball to his right early in the game. And, he looked like he had a plan at the plate and could handle the bat. He did not look very “toolsy” to me – like Gardner and Poterson – but, he looked like someone who is a “ball player.” He was a 2B at Creighton and was signed as a non-drafted free agent (NDFA) this summer. I know that the odds are stacked against a college kid who signs as a NDFA. But, if I were the Yankees, I would give this kid as much of a chance as some drafted players. Yes, it was just one game in short season A-ball. But, this kid Tony Roth just looked like be belonged on a ball field.

And, in keeping up with WasWatching.com kids at the game tradition, here we are with “Huck” – the sun was behind us, so, it’s not a perfect picture. But, a bad picture of being at the ballpark is better than a good picture of being anywhere else, every time, in my book.

siyanksblog2.jpg

Comments on July 10th vs. The Indians

1. Jen
      July 11th, 2005 | 12:40 am

Giambi’s shot was a bomb. Before the game my friend, who had never been in the bleachers before, asked if any balls come out this way (we’re 6 rows from the wall in right center). I told him the only time you’ll see one out this far is in batting practice. Sure enough, Giambi’s blast bounced off of the hands of a guy 2 seats to my right.

It was just a nice day to be at any ball park. I’ve only been to SI at night. I bet you get a nice view on clear day like today.

2. July 11th, 2005 | 9:45 am

I saw the Giambi blast on SportsCenter. That was rare territory, indeed.

Jen, you should try and get to one of the 5 pm games on SI on a clear day. It was nice – and, I think the park is even better now than it was, say, three years go. Maybe that’s just me?

Smallest parking spots ever, IMHO, in these days of SUV-mania, but, that’s the only gripe I had from last night.

3. hopbitters
      July 11th, 2005 | 10:03 am

Cute kids, Steve, but how come only one of them had Yankees gear on? :)

4. July 11th, 2005 | 10:35 am

Thanks. Actually, if you look at my daughter’s hat, there’s a NY on there – it’s a pink Yankees hat. And, her shirt, covered by me, is a “Girls of Summer” shirt from Cooperstown.

Fear not – we dress for the park!

5. Jen
      July 11th, 2005 | 12:02 pm

6. July 11th, 2005 | 12:39 pm

Hey, it’s just a ferry ride from Manhattan and less than 30 minutes from any of the New Jersey bridges…….

…..none of those fellow bleacher creatures are up for it?

7. Jen
      July 11th, 2005 | 12:55 pm

I (as do my friends) live and work in North Jersey. If I go it will probably be a weekend game when the big club isn’t home. I’ll have to look at the schedule.

July 11th, 2005 | 1:34 pm

//The college I work for is a sponsor of the SI Yanks. I should probably take advantage of the freebie tickets and go sometime. It’s just not easy convincing someone to go out to SI.//

lol.. true

But if anything, go for the experience. I’ve done a handful of SI games (even when they were playing @ College of Staten Island; stumbled upon a scorecard where Wang started back in 2000), and I had a good time.

Good, cheap, baseball, can’t go wrong with that (:

9. hopbitters
      July 11th, 2005 | 2:31 pm

July 11th, 2005 | 2:41 pm

//Up here in the Mid Hudson Hole, we have the Renegades (TB) who are also in the NY-Penn league. Despite one of the most obnoxious announcers in the history of microphones and hard plastic seats that will sear you like an open grill, there are far worse ways to spend an afternoon.//

Like across the street, at Dutchess County Corrections (:

Nice park out there, BTW; I should make it to more games. A friend of mine does columns for them every so often.

11. philly phil
      July 11th, 2005 | 3:41 pm

Raf- you said you stumbled upon a scorecard where Wang started back in 2000?

just curious….how did he do?

July 12th, 2005 | 10:37 pm

Raf- you said you stumbled upon a scorecard where Wang started back in 2000?

just curious….how did he do?
      —————-

5ip, 8h, 4r (3 earned), 3bb, 4k.

The game was 7 innings

He wore #41, IIRC, he was nicknamed “Tiger.” The yearbook I bought has little mention of the players. Much of it was details of the new park, and advertisements.

Didn’t have much on the way of notes, but I did note that he didn’t have much of a pickoff move.

Strangely enough, I went there to see him and Willy Mo Pena. Pena was on the DL, IIRC