• July 14th @ The Red Sox

Posted by on July 14th, 2005 · Comments (6)

Storybook.

When A-Rod’s big fly off Schilling in the 9th cleared the wall, I jumped out of my comfy chair in the family room and started to do a tap dance.

I have no idea how to tap dance.

But, it was the greatest tap dance in the history of the world.

I know that the odds are against the Yankees for the rest of this series. And, New York just might end up losing the next three games. But, for now, for one night, for this moment, everything is beautiful in Yankeeland. Everything. Well, except for one little thing…….David Ortiz.

Driving home tonight, I heard the Joe Torre Report on WFAN. When asked about the dominance that Dominican Shrek has over the Yankees, Torre admitted that their approach to him was terrible. Joe went on at length talking about how they have more data and a new plan. And, Torre added, on his own, that, while they would never hit a batter on purpose, they needed to make Ortiz more uncomfortable at the plate. In Torre’s words, he said something like ‘We just can’t have him standing there at ease just picking whatever pitches he wants to hit.’

And, what did we see tonight in regard to pitching to Ortiz? No change – nada – none whatsoever. And, the results were the same. What is so hard about making this guy move his feet?

Anywho, enough on that negative. And, let us get back to allowing this win tonight to marinate supreme and then permeate Yankees fans everywhere with happy feelings. Gosh, could this game tonight have been scripted any better?

Like I said, it was storybook.

Comments on July 14th @ The Red Sox

1. JohnnyC
      July 14th, 2005 | 11:24 pm

Can we just walk this guy a la Barry Bonds? After all, in the absence of a better alternative, discretion is the better part of valor. Can’t understand why the “braintrust” won’t just put him on whenever he’s got a chance to hurt us.

2. JeremyM
      July 15th, 2005 | 12:12 am

Man, did I get screwed tonight. Freaking power went out right after Sheff’s homer and was off until just after the end of the game.
      What a piece of crap Schilling is. Him winking at Rivera makes me sick. Watching that highlight gives me flashbacks to him running out to the bullpen during last year’s ALCS when there was no way he was going in the game, but he couldn’t resist milking the moment.

Tell me again why we considered trading Sheffield? This guy is really helping us develop an attitude that we sorely need. And Giambi seemed to have a new determined focus about him since the last time I saw him (I live in Omaha and don’t get many games). If we only had some pitching….

3. Don
      July 15th, 2005 | 2:34 am

Mussina will never be the guy that backs people off the plate. So you were hoping in vain.

And where was this MO in the 2004 ALCS?

4. July 15th, 2005 | 8:12 am

Burnt out from usage, I suppose.

5. hopbitters
      July 15th, 2005 | 9:05 am

The highest batting average in mlb history was .440. The highest HR% was 15.34%. If those were the same person (they weren’t – they were a century+ removed), and you IBB’d them because you couldn’t figure out how to get him out 44% of the time, you would give away 56 outs out of 100 AB to avoid 15 HR. If that’s discretion, then I’m Hugh Duffy. Now if you’ve got a runner on second, one out, a one-run lead, Ortiz up, and Buddy Groom on the mound, I wouldn’t argue the decision to give him a pass, but I’d be a lot happier if they just tried to get him out.

July 15th, 2005 | 11:20 am

hopbitters: I agree. Also the lineup doesn’t get any easier walking Ortiz, as you now have Manny to deal with.