• July 17th @ The Red Sox

Posted by on July 17th, 2005 · Comments (19)

Well, on Thursday, Torre promised the team that they would have a pitcher for the game on Sunday, and he did not lie. I have to confess, there was something warm about seeing a LHP on the mound for the Yankees, wearing #19. And, 2005 season stats to date be damned, Leiter came through for the Yanks tonight. In fact, the pitcher that I saw tonight was the same pitcher that I saw in Game 5 of the 2000 World Series – the one with a ton of heart. When Al whiffed Millar to end the 6th, I jumped out of my chair and pumped out a left jab followed by a right uppercut. Leiter was that inspiring today.

After seeing good pitcher, after good pitcher, come to the Yankees, and then suck, only to leave New York and then pitch well again elsewhere, it’s nice to see someone once good, after sucking somewhere else, come to the Yankees and throw a good game.

All things considered – the standings, the Yankees pitching situation, it being the Sox in Fenway, Wakefield, the snuffed rally in the bottom of the 9th – this just may be the biggest win of the season, to date, for the Yankees.

Kudos to Sheffield, A-Rod, and Mo for their performances in this series. It’s nice to see guys step up in, what Big Rube calls, “the clutch time.”

Lastly, nice shot by ESPN of Wells, Manny, and Damon in the 9th, sitting in the dugout together, after the Ramirez homerun. That was a Mensa Meeting in the Bizzaro World.

Comments on July 17th @ The Red Sox

1. Jen
      July 17th, 2005 | 9:28 pm

Welcome home, Al. It’s going to be nice to root for a Jersey boy.

Melky was sent down, Bubba is back up. Small is pitching on Wednesday, Russ Johnson is DFA. They’ll have to send someone else down tomorrow to make room for Brown. They’re going to need a backup infielder as well, Sanchez doesn’t look like he’s coming back anytime soon.

2. Makofan
      July 17th, 2005 | 10:05 pm

Great game – was tense in the 9th there though. Am I wrong in thinking that A-Rod has all the quickness of a crippled Galapogos Tortoise? Still if he hits that way he can field like Darnell Coles for all I care.

3. philly phil
      July 17th, 2005 | 10:05 pm

7/15- “It does not appear that Big Al is someone who could help the Yankees now…..I wish he was the answer for New York. But, he would just be another question, as far as we can tell now”

7/17- “there was something warm about seeing a LHP on the mound for the Yankees, wearing #19″

Two things:
      1) Chef is absolutely scary at the plate- the monstah is in dire need of some reapirs after he got through with it

2) Like it or not and you can throw things at me for saying this…but the 2005 yanks are becoming A-Rods team…and this weekend has had a lot to do with it.

and putting all egos aside, maybe that is a good thing for Jeter.

4. philly phil
      July 17th, 2005 | 10:11 pm

re: A-Rod in the field….he did turn a nice 5-2-3 DP in the 9th.

and I think the slow reaction to hot shots at third is just something we have to live with.

Remember- he was probably a better overall fielding SS than Jeter (yes- Jeter has a flair for the dramatic moment and is a human highlight reel) but I beleive A-Rod had better range and a better arm…anyway, I wonder if Jeter went to third- would he be as good as A-Rod?

5. TonyC
      July 17th, 2005 | 10:39 pm

Not a chance.
      Every one of Jeter’s all-star game starts came over a more deserving A-Rod and even Nomar – He’s still the best SS in the league, and effective the move to third proves it.

6. July 17th, 2005 | 10:47 pm

//Steve…quick question…. who backpeddled more this weekend? You or the Red Sox outfielders?//

Hey, note that I wrote “does not appear” – and, well, hey, appearances can be…..well, you know. Still, FWIW, it’s one game. In the long run, we have to see…..

7. July 17th, 2005 | 10:49 pm

Jen – could Womack become the back-up INF to replace Johnson?

8. July 17th, 2005 | 10:51 pm

I can’t fault Steve at all on this one – I posted on another blog, during the third inning of Thursday’s game, that this weekend had all of the hallmarks of a sweep and the start of another 11-19 record! Looks like I was wrong.

Still, the jury is VERY much out on Leiter right now – it was inspiring to watch him pitch tonight. Let’s see what he does against Anaheim.

But, if he can pitch 5 innings and let up only four runs per start, he’ll be an improvement over Redding or May.

9. Jen
      July 17th, 2005 | 11:35 pm

Well, Womack is the back-up INF for now. But I’m sure they want someone else around just in case (knock on wood). I saw Escalona’s name mentioned, but they wouldn’t consider bringing him up until they get back home.

10. Don
      July 18th, 2005 | 2:54 am

11. philly phil
      July 18th, 2005 | 11:57 am

A-Rod was moved to third to please the team captain. There is no way you can move Jeter out of SS, and hence A-Rod goes to third.

And btw….Tejada, not Jeter, is the best SS in the majors.

July 18th, 2005 | 1:17 pm

**Problem is, too many starters pitching too few innings, equalling bullpen burnout.**

Don’t think it’s that big a deal in this day and age. During the Yanks’ current run, there haven’t been that many CG’s overall.

13. July 18th, 2005 | 1:18 pm

It’s not A-Rod’s team. But, he is performing and playing well and it’s great to see. That HR off Schilling was very, very sweet.

July 18th, 2005 | 1:20 pm

So, how many times during this series was Ortiz brushed back, or made to eat dirt? (:

15. Don
      July 18th, 2005 | 1:39 pm

16. July 18th, 2005 | 2:17 pm

I would think that most pitchers, even the very good ones, on average, give you just about 6 IP per GS. Let me look into that.

17. July 18th, 2005 | 2:25 pm

Yup, if you look at the top 20 SP from 2004, SP only, according to RSAA, and look at their IP/GS ratios, on average, it’s 6 and 2/3rds per start.

July 18th, 2005 | 2:30 pm

**I’m not talking about complete games, Raf, didn’t even mention them. But six-and-a-third is gonna kill the pen.**

But the only way you’re not going to use the pen is if the pitching staff throws a bunch of CG’s.

In this day and age, with mix and match bullpens, all a pitcher needs to do is go 6 1/3; maybe you go L/R matchups to finish the inning, 8th goes to the setup, 9th to the closer.

When I get the time, I’ll look at the numbers (IP broken down by SP & RP) myself.

1990 Reds
      1996 Yanks
      1997 Orioles

19. Don
      July 18th, 2005 | 6:59 pm

That extra one-third of an inning translates into 54 less BP innings over a 162 game schedule. So, to me, six-and-a-third is a low number. And right now this team is using the BP too much.

I really worry about the workload Torre will inflict on Gordon & MO from now on. He needs to trust a couple of guys for a few batters. Other than Sturtze, maybe Proctor, who, with his stuff, should be able to get two outs as a bridge to Gordon. If Gordon has to come into the game in the seventh too many times, he’ll be useless in late September on.