• July 24th @ The Angels

Posted by on July 24th, 2005 · Comments (6)

That plane ride back from the West Coast just got a tad easier with the win today. And, the off day tomorrow should be somewhat better now, than it might of been, as well. Thank you Moose, Matsui, and Mo.

Truth be told, the minute the news on Wang broke, if you told me that the Yankees would split their games against Boston and L.A. on this trip, and win the series in Texas, I would have signed on for that – so, in the end, a 6-5 road-trip is not all that bad. It just stings a little because it could have been a 8-3 trip, just as easy as it was a 6-5 trip.

One week left until the trading deadline. And, the loss by Boston today means the Yankees are 1.5 back of first with 65 games to go. The travel day on Monday could be the perfect day to break the news of a trade.

Comments on July 24th @ The Angels

1. JohnnyC
      July 24th, 2005 | 9:09 pm

The press is all over a possible trade with Seattle for Randy Winn and/or Ron Villone. While that seems to be the one deal within easy reach for the Yankees, why do I have a suspicion that Cashman has been working underneath the radar on something out of leftfield if not significantly bigger? I think we’re in a position to be creative with so many teams not sure if they’re buying or selling.

2. Joel
      July 24th, 2005 | 10:31 pm

Kudos to Joe for not messing around in the 8th and going to Mo as soon as Gordon got in trouble. I’m glad that Joe realized that this was not a game to show Gordon that was “trusted.” Also, FWIW, I would not have taken Mussina out after a one out bloop single–not the way he was pitching.

I know that we have a veteran staff and there is always concern about tired arms and the possibility of injury. But, we need to win games NOW. I would like to see Joe manage the bullpen and starting staff more agressively. By that I mean letting starters go just a bit further if they’re going well, and more quickly (and frequently) going to the big three in the pen.

3. July 24th, 2005 | 11:23 pm

Shoot, with 3 days rest/off, and the off day tomorrow, I might have been tempted to bring Mo in for the 7th, esp. after losing three in a row. [wink]

4. July 24th, 2005 | 11:25 pm

//why do I have a suspicion that Cashman has been working underneath the radar on something out of leftfield if not significantly bigger? //

I have the same feeling. Probably because this type of thing has happened in the past.

5. Jen
      July 25th, 2005 | 12:13 pm

Well, I guess my “Yankees lose when I attend a soccer game at Giants Stadium” jinx has been lifted.

6. hopbitters
      July 25th, 2005 | 1:28 pm

And another curse falls. I’m putting all my money on the Cubs taking the WS in 4.