• July 26th vs. The Twins

Posted by on July 26th, 2005 · Comments (8)

Are we there, yet?”

Yes, I believe the Unit has landed. A no-no would have been a beautiful thing tonight – but, the win is the most important takeaway this evening – along with some evidence that whatever old-age thing may be bothering Johnson, that it can’t be that bad.

You know when the clock strikes 9 pm EST, and they’re playing God Bless America at the Stadium, you’ve got a pitcher’s duel cooking. It was great to watch.

Also, from this game, let the record stand: If Robinson Cano hits in his next 43 games in a row, I want a recount on that ball that was supposedly an inch off the right field foul line tonight.

A thought: If the Yankees do sign Ruben Rivera, will they have to place a security guard over Unit’s gum-holder-glove every time he pitches? Remember the fuss a few seasons back on Luis Gonzalez ABC gum? That would be nothing compared to actual Big Unit Game Chew on the market.

Lastly, Brian Cashman, if you’re reading this, and were thinking of picking up Danys Baez – please, do not. Anyone who can’t hold a 2-run lead over Boston in the 9th – or preserve a tie in the 10th – is not someone who would be a good fit for the Yankees pen.

It would have been nice to see Tampa hold that 8-6 lead tonight. Oh, well, tomorrow is another day.

Comments on July 26th vs. The Twins

1. Jen
      July 26th, 2005 | 11:22 pm

Man, it’s nice get home before the rebroadcast of the day’s game starts on YES.

About the only bad thing about tonight was the lack of running water in the bathrooms. (Well, that and Tampa Bay blowing the game)

2. Joel
      July 26th, 2005 | 11:23 pm

I just finsihed watching the sickening end to Boston-Tampa. The only positive we can take from that one is that Schilling looked very shaky again. He was really bailed out in the 9th on a very good play by Damon. He almost blew a 2 run lead in the tenth against the bottom of the Tampa lineup.

Here’s my question for Joe: Johnson’s rolling along, 97 pitches through 8, and you’re up 4-0. You have Leiter tomorrow and probably Small for a Thursday day game. Odds are, you’re going to need your bullpen big time in the next two days. Why waste Gordon for even an inning if you don’t have to?

He protects Gordon from overuse in Texas–and it costs us. Now he’s using him to finish a 4-0, 2-hit, 11 strikeout masterpiece? I don’t get it.

3. July 27th, 2005 | 9:39 am

I thought the same thing. What’s the big deal between 97 pitches and, say, 115? I would have sent him out there for the 9th.

Jen – no water? Did they make an announcement at the Stadium on that? That’s gotta be a health hazard, I would think.

4. Jen
      July 27th, 2005 | 9:52 am

No announcement (maybe it was just the bleachers?). It was a water pressure issue. Toilets wouldn’t flush but there was a trickle of water coming out of the faucet. Luckily the game was short.

If Randy pitches this way every time he gets angry, I hope the media finds ways to piss him off for the rest of the year.

5. hopbitters
      July 27th, 2005 | 9:52 am

My wife went to get her stuff ready for work after the eighth and said something to the effect of “I hate to miss a Yankee starter actually finishing a game.” I replied, “Don’t worry – Joe hates complete games.” About 30 seconds later, we were treated to Gordon. For a guy with awful bullpen management (and an awful bullpen outside of three guys), you’d think he’d be a little more willing to let the starters run. My theory is he’s in a fantasy league with CG as a scoring stat and his opponents all have Yankee pitchers.

July 27th, 2005 | 10:31 am

=============

Actually, the only positive you can take from that game is that Clement is OK

7. philly phil
      July 27th, 2005 | 2:41 pm

that knock on Clement was eerily similar to the time Pettite got hit….it literally knocked him off his feet.

I remember Pettite would instinctively “flinch” for a while after that…I wonder if Clememt will do the same, and how long until that wears off.

July 27th, 2005 | 6:07 pm

Comebackers like that are the reason why I try to pound batters inside.