• Newsday: Don’t Praise Jason

Posted by on July 26th, 2005 · Comments (6)

From Ken Davidoff of Newsday:

But it can’t be stressed enough that Giambi got himself into this mess. It’s one thing to celebrate someone who, say, hurts himself in the field of battle. Giambi, to the contrary, cheated and lied his way to his huge contract, and in the process, he never took care of his body. His nightlife, the Yankees are convinced, contributed to his physical breakdown of last season.

To this day, I still wonder what happened at that Ricky Williams party in 2003 during the World Series?

Comments on Newsday: Don’t Praise Jason

1. hopbitters
      July 26th, 2005 | 4:19 pm

There’s some fine journalism. I guess I missed the part where all this stuff was proven, along with the exact timeline. It’s amazing how this stuff went from “leaked from some anonymous guy we met in a sewer hole and handed a bunch of money” to God’s own truth.

2. July 26th, 2005 | 4:35 pm

Hey, if not for Howie Spira, Jeter would not have four rings. Shoot, NY might not even have a Jeter!

July 26th, 2005 | 4:36 pm

You’d be suprised…

Articles like that are the reason I pay little attention to sportswriters.

July 26th, 2005 | 4:38 pm

===============

They could have someone better, or they could have someone worse.

5. Joel
      July 26th, 2005 | 5:11 pm

Incredible. All of a sudden Giambi has become the poster boy for everything that is bad in baseball.
      Like other guys don’t party!

FWIW, I was listening to WFAN the other day, and a fan called Mike Francesa to talk about how excited he was about Giambi. Francesa’s reaction: (I’m paraphrasing) “I don’t know what to make of Giambi. A few months ago the guy couldn’t do anything, and now he’s big and strong hitting home run after home run.” I took this as an ignorant indictment of Giambi. What does Francesa know about Giambi that we don’t? Nothing.

This is the nature of sports commentary/journalism today. Say nothing for 15 years as the guys are getting bigger and bigger and the home run stats go through the roof, but then use one guy as a scapegoat to exercise a skepticism that should have been there all along.

6. JohnnyC
      July 26th, 2005 | 5:42 pm

But we all take it for gospel when Brian Roberts says all he took was creatine. Guess he stays away from the clubs and bars at night in Bal’mer.