• Jerry Narron Remembers

Posted by on July 28th, 2005 · Comments (6)

Just saw a nice Jerry Narron story in The Cincy Post.

Has it really been 26 years?

Right now, it seems like it was just yesterday. I had just finished my afternoon paper route. I was in my bedroom – resting on my bed. I was listening to Paco on WKTU on the stereo. They interrupted with the news flash. I jumped off my bed and ran downstairs to the living room. My dad was watching Channel 7 – and they broke in with the story too.

The next few days are a blur for me. I was a zombie – I suppose. The next thing I actually remember was days later – it was late, around 11 pm, and everyone in the house was asleep, except me. I was sitting in the kitchen, by myself, and I just started crying like a baby. My mother heard me and came downstairs. She asked me why I was crying. I told her that I never felt worse in my whole life – which was less than 17 years long at that time.

Mom told me that I needed to get a grip and start moving on. And, as much as I probably have moved on, every time I see a story like the one on Narron, I’m brought right back to that afternoon when I was resting in my bedroom on August 2, 1979 – when the unthinkable happened.

Comments on Jerry Narron Remembers

1. hopbitters
      July 28th, 2005 | 7:29 pm

I wonder if Munson was to Yankees fans an event like JFK or Lennon where it always sticks with you what you were doing when you heard the news. It certainly stuck with me, anyway.

2. Jen
      July 28th, 2005 | 10:16 pm

I was too young to actually remember when it happened (just a couple months shy of 4 yrs.) I just know we were driving home from Florida at the time. But still, whenever they show clips of Munson at the Stadium (like they did last night) I get choked up.

3. Jen
      July 28th, 2005 | 10:21 pm

I didn’t know that there was someone in the plane with Thurm until I read this article in the News last year.

4. July 28th, 2005 | 11:11 pm

We were having dinner, and for some reason the TV was still on. My dad and I heard the announcement and got up and moved into the living room to hear what happened. We were shocked.

5. July 28th, 2005 | 11:37 pm

To hopbitters’ point, FWIW, clearly, 9/11 was a bigger event in the scheme of the world, and, I will always remember where I was, and what I was doing, when the news of the 1st plane broke – but, in all honesty, if someone were to say to me today “Fill in the blank – I’ll never forget where I was when ______ happened” and my answer will probably be ‘Munson’s plane.’

July 29th, 2005 | 11:27 am

================

There was a documentary last year on YES, where one of the survivors was interviewed. The other declined. Went through every detail, from the approach, to the crash, to the rescue attempt.