• Sterling & Suzyn

Posted by on July 28th, 2005 · Comments (12)

According to a USA Today feature, the Yankees radio team is tied for being the 9th best in all of baseball.

At this moment, I feel really sad for the fans of 20 big league teams. Imagine having to listen to worse than Sterling & Suzyn.

Comments on Sterling & Suzyn

1. July 28th, 2005 | 1:15 pm

I had the pleasure of listening to Ernie Harwell call games during the last five years of his career, when I lived in Ann Arbor. Wow – what a voice, what a flow, what talent! John Sterling has occasional moments, but is just WAY over the top too often. I know people rag on Michael Kay – but he really helped keep Sterling in check, and he’s making Kaat and Murcer ALMOST listen-able.

2. K
      July 28th, 2005 | 1:48 pm

They are actually tied for 9th in the AL. They would be tied for 16th if the AL and NL were combined.

I still think it’s too high.

3. July 28th, 2005 | 2:05 pm

Good catch!
      I missed that – must have read it too fast.
      Thanks.

Agreed, even the mid-point is too high.

4. Don
      July 28th, 2005 | 6:26 pm

Ugh! Sterling & Waldman, the worst I’ve ever heard in NY. Bob Gamere was better, and that is sinking low.

Sterling (who I never liked) is a caricature of a play-by-play man and Waldman a perfect foil for him.

5. Brad
      July 28th, 2005 | 11:35 pm

Um, I’d rather listen to cancer develop in my eardrums than the whiny, screeching, horrible voice of Suzyn Waldman.
      The same could be said for Sterling, but I happen to think he’s much less of a baseball play-by-play man, and more of some kind of stage actor, constantly doing an injustice to all analysts and talk radio guys everywhere.

6. Don
      July 29th, 2005 | 3:01 am

Sterling is the only announcer in NBA/ABA history to receive a technical foul. Years ago, when the ABA Nets and Nuggets were playing in the ABA playoffs, Sterling, the Nets play-by-play guy, kept yelling directly at the officials(!) that David Thompson was walking. They finally hit him with a technical foul.

Sterling was also the play-by-play guy for the NY Islanders and left (fired) the season before the Islanders dynasty started. “Islander goal, Islander goal, Islander goal” was his catch phrase. Rather childish actually.

He also did a sports call-in show for years at that time and was horrible at it.

7. Chaz
      July 29th, 2005 | 7:45 am

You aren’t being terribly fair to Suzyn Waldman. Yes, she panders to the comically arrogant Sterling, and yes, her voice is less than mellifluous. But she takes the time to talk to the players, the coaches, the front office. She sees her job as involving reporting on the team and imparting information. In that respect, she’s miles ahead of the awful Charlie Steiner, and ahead of where Michael Kay devolved once he’d put it some time away from the Daily News. Who’s the last Yankee radio announcer who attempted to add reporting to his broadcast? I can’t think of anyone. Sterling, I’ll grant, is awful. I love his voice and his high-far-gone home run call, but he knows very little about the game and talks as though his years of going through the motions actually add up to baseball knowledge.

8. Shaun P
      July 29th, 2005 | 10:19 am

Chaz, I’m glad to see I’m not the only person who thinks Suzyn is a good addition to the broadcast – we may be the only two, though. Charley Steiner was AWFUL, he just sounded like such a shill. Sigh.

I’ve heard far worst broadcasters than John Sterling, so I have to admit I’m pretty blah about him. At least he has a clear respect for Yankees history.

9. Jen
      July 29th, 2005 | 10:38 am

You can count me in too. I really don’t mind Waldman at all. She knows the team and the organization, and is pretty good with the pre- and post-game reports.

July 29th, 2005 | 11:14 am

Yeah, I like Waldman, and the comparision to the NYDN Michael Kay is dead on.

I never really cared for Sterling, but he is what he is at this stage of his career. I do like his Yankeeography work. IIRC, he used to do Braves games back in the day.

I miss Staats & Kubek.

11. pastymorant
      October 7th, 2006 | 7:16 pm

Waldman is vile – her voice is (on a purely auditory level) horrid – very irritating – no prob’ havin’ a woman behind the mike (I s’pose) but why not an attractive voice – hulllo… this is radio… she tries too hard to ‘keep up’ with Mr Sterling – like some inept little sister – just not quite ‘with it’ – and gawddangit, I don’t wanna hear that – Sterling used to do the commentating alone – send the ‘lil sis’ back home to Mamma…

12. pastymorant
      October 7th, 2006 | 7:26 pm

Chaz: “You aren’t being terribly fair to Suzyn Waldman”

Who wants to be ‘fair’? During a radio broadcast, who gives a flying, uh, banana, what she does with her off-broadcast time (visit team players, “she takes the time to talk to the players, the coaches, the front office”) – is that relevant to my ‘hearing pleasure’ and/or her commentating talent? No. Not whatsoever.

Put ‘er out to pasture – she should never have been allowed to get behind a mike (altho’ admittedly, a number of other candidates qualify fer that evaluation)