• August 4th @ The Indians

Posted by on August 5th, 2005 · Comments (7)

I was at a work function last night in Hoboken (at the City Bistro). I decided to duck out a little early and got to my car just at the start of the bottom of the 7th.

Listening in, as the Indians took the lead, and hearing the recap of the game to that point (and, this was all before the top of the 9th), I’m thinking to myself:

“OK, Leiter walks every batter that he sees the other night and can’t make it out of the 3rd. Moose is lights out yesterday and then, for no reason, implodes and gives up a bucket of runs. Cano’s bunting with two strikes and muffing plays. And, tonight, Giambi and Matsui make two bad plays and Embree walks a guy that he had no business walking…………..what is this? Is this 1919? Are these the White Sox and not the Yankees?”

And, then, A-Rod and Giambi save the game. Thank goodness – because to drop another game back would have been a huge nail in the coffin.

I saw in the ESPN.com recap that “During the bottom of the sixth, New York’s Randy Johnson, armed with a dustpan and broom, assisted one of the bat boys in sweeping the dugout floor.”

I’m sorry that I missed that. I loved watching that bat boy work in the first two games (that I saw). Yes, he looked like the son of Hideki Irabu. But, the kid is one hard worker. Always nice to see.

Comments on August 4th @ The Indians

1. JJay
      August 5th, 2005 | 8:24 am

I also missed the game but caught the highlights on ESPNEWS. At first Randy looked pissed and the Bat Boy looked like he was gonna piss his pants but then it turned out Randy just wanted to be helpful.

2. Makofan
      August 5th, 2005 | 8:41 am

Randy is one of those people who looks permanently grumpy even when he is not. We tend to judge people on how much they smile – Kirby Puckett smiled a lot!

August 5th, 2005 | 9:11 am

Heh, Irabu’s hanging up the spikes this year…

Until the Yanks are mathematically eliminated, they have a shot. If not the division, then the wildcard. If they win the wildcard, I hope for a quick and humiliating exit (if you haven’t noticed by now, I hate the wildcard)

4. hopbitters
      August 5th, 2005 | 10:18 am

I wonder if other teams’ bat/ballboys get the kind of airtime that the Yankees do. Skippy’s become one of my favorite Yankees. As usual, I had the sound off…when Johnson first got up and it looked to me like he was pissed that the kid kept walking in front of him, but then he grabbed the broom and started sweeping. He kept it for quite a while and even went and got his own dustpan while the kid took over with the broom. He had a very weird mix of expressions the whole time – about half the time, he looked dead serious and the next minute he’d be smiling. The rest of the guys on the bench chucking stuff on the ground behind him was classic.

5. Jen
      August 5th, 2005 | 11:08 am

Randy looked to be in good spirits all night. He was talking and laughing with Giambi after his first dinger.

6. philly phil
      August 5th, 2005 | 11:37 am

I love the irony….about to get swept in Cleveland…Randy is sweeping the floors….something funny about that…especially if they lost…..I can hear someone saying…

“hey Randy…why don’t you leave the sweeping to the Indians?”

anyway..that kid had a HUGE head…”it looked like a watermelon on top of a toothpick”

7. Brad
      August 7th, 2005 | 11:29 pm

Actually, it looks like a watermelon on top of a honda accord