• August 9th vs. The White Sox

Posted by on August 9th, 2005 · Comments (23)

Ouch.

And, I’m not talking about the guy who took the header from the upper-deck.

This one hurts.

Jose Sexual-Congressing Contreras.

I can’t even write about it. I have to go find a pillow to punch.

Comments on August 9th vs. The White Sox

1. JohnnyC
      August 9th, 2005 | 11:15 pm

You know, as disappointing as our performance against Contreras was, I’d feel pretty good about my chances, down 1 run going into the home 9th with ARod, Matsui, Giambi due up primed to go for the pump against the best team in baseball in Yankee Stadium, trying to match victories with the Red Sox and A’s in a great pennant/WC race in August. But, obviously, our clueless leader had other thoughts. Trying to save bullets in the arms of Sturtze and Gordon (gee, why didn’t he think of that in May or June, hmmm?), he decides to let Embree, he of the 7+ ERA, Embree, whose picture can be found in the dictionary next to LOOGY, face the only legitimate HR threat in the Sox line-up, a right-handed hitter no less. Phhfft! There goes another winnable game. What’s in that green tea, Joe?

2. hah
      August 9th, 2005 | 11:19 pm

joe torre is the worst manager in baseball, i hope the yankees fire him and we get someone in here who knows what they are doing

3. hah
      August 9th, 2005 | 11:21 pm

and another thing WHAT THE HELL was jeter doing sacrificing womack to 2nd??? can womack not steal anymore?!?! aj pierzynski with the 25% throwout rate………………this is absolutely ridiculous

August 9th, 2005 | 11:33 pm

Contreras has a good arm. Fastball/Split combo. On occasion he can throw strikes. Tonight was one of those nights.

A wasted quality start by Chacon, but whaddya gonna do?

To borrow from Charlie Brown (Peanuts); “Why couldn’t Bernie have hit that ball just three feet higher?”

That’s one of my favorite all time strips; sums up the game of baseball perfectly :D

5. Joel
      August 9th, 2005 | 11:41 pm

What surprises me is given how faithful Joe has been to all this lefty-right stuff that he left Embree in there to face Konerko.

You know hah, that’s an excellent point about Womack and Jeter. Jeter is the ideal guy to hit the ball to the right side with a runner on second. You have to give Womack a chance to be our Dave Roberts.

Giambi has to get that run in from third. Even in the bottom of the 4th, you got the feeling that one run was going to mean a lot in a game like this.

Poor Bernie. You can’t hit one harder than that.

6. brad
      August 9th, 2005 | 11:52 pm

when are the rest of you going to learn that you should just listen to the moderator when he talks (most of the time)?
      You spent all day talking about Boston’s pitching, and how the Boston hitters are a product of the park they play in (*when in reality, most of them are just as good on the road), proclaiming YS a pitcing park (when without a short porch for Giambi to go to over the last month, the Yanks would be about 9GB) – and somehow, no matter how much bashing you do all day, you lose a game to them in the standings.
      I’m beginning to think that most of you work as interns on the Bill O’Reilly show, because the spin is unbelievable.
      Oh, how long until the Embree project is over?
      I love it.

7. hah
      August 9th, 2005 | 11:55 pm

like ive been telling my friends this team is absolutely poor when it comes to fundamentals and it all starts at the top with joe torre, womack should have stolen second(at least tried to! what else is he in the game for…)then been sacrificed to third by jeter if we were willing to give up an out(this team shouldnt be giving up outs at this point anyways they have like 8 hits in the last 2 games) sheffields groundball would have scored womack and if a-rod hit his hr then the game is over. even kaat questioned torre leaving embree in that was horrible managing, there is no excuse for that other than that torre fell asleep, that is just terrible if anyone here was listening to the post game show i’d love to hear what joe torreble had to say about tonights game. another wasted start by shawn chacon.

8. hah
      August 10th, 2005 | 12:00 am

gotta love boston fans trying to stir up controversy, welcome to the site brad its glad to see you enjoy talking with yankee fans :)

9. JohnnyC
      August 10th, 2005 | 12:22 am

Geez, some fans, you let ‘em win one WC and next thing you know they act like they’ve won 26. Save the sarcasm for when you’ve actually won more championships than 28 other franchises have won since you won your last one in 1918. And no Bill O’Reilly jokes from Boston Democrats who worship a guy whose idea of celebrating a Boston championship is by stumping for George Bush the next morning on national TV.

10. brad
      August 10th, 2005 | 12:55 am

Thanks Hah, but I’ve been posting here, respectfully I may add, for quite some time. I do enjoy talking to New York fans, as it was proven today throughout this site, the talk is always spun so out of control it becomes quite the laugh. As far as Boston Democrats (I’m in New Haven, just the same) goes, JohnnyC, I couldn’t agree more. I don’t worship the ideals of anyone other than my own, and wish (like I’ve said a million times) that Schilling would just keep his mouth shut sometimes. But for a team that is the current home of one Gary Sheffield, you really don’t have a leg to stand on about supporting guys with big mouths. I do, however, worship the way he pitches, but if he’s not doing that effectively, I don’t want to hear about anything else from him.
      And, just for the record, Boston has quite a few more championships than just one, but being the avid baseball fan, you already knew that I’m sure.

11. Paul in Boston
      August 10th, 2005 | 6:37 am

Embree vs Sheffield, May 27 2005, Yankee Stadium: home run

Embree vs Konerko, Aug, 2005, Yankee Stadium: home run

What do these two match-ups have in common? The only person who thought these were good match-ups were the idiotic managers.

Agony.

12. hopbitters
      August 10th, 2005 | 9:31 am

Well, I’m not all broken up about that loss. For the first time in quite a while, I got to see a well-pitched and mostly well-played baseball game on both sides that was ultimately won by the better team taking advantage of a few mistakes. It wasn’t the Yankees today, but it’s still good to see quality baseball and if the Yankees could play like that every day, they’d win a lot of ballgames.

It’s hard to believe Joe Torre used to be an NL manager, isn’t it? He couldn’t manufacture a run to save his life.

Brad, I was with you right up until you said you were in New Haven. If you were from Boston, I could let it slide, because you wouldn’t know any better, but a fellow Nutmegger who chose the dark side…oh, the shame. :) We do need someone here to keep us honest, though. Well, almost honest. OK, occasionally honest.

13. Scott
      August 10th, 2005 | 9:47 am

Looks like the Big Stein agrees with you guys.

And speaking of honest, yes, we are all aware that Boston has one 6 WCs in 103 years. In my book, that’s a few more than one, not quite a few :-D

August 10th, 2005 | 9:55 am

Brad: Short porch or no, Yankee Stadium is a pitcher’s park.

Hah: Womack’s been on base so little, I’d be suprised if he even remembers how to steal a base (:

Hopbitters: I agree, I love games like this; well pitched and well played. And the outcome was in doubt right up until the last pitch.

Damaso Marte for Enrique Wilson… hmmmm

15. August 10th, 2005 | 10:19 am

Bernie’s liner being caught in the 9th is just another page in the book that says this is not the Yankees’ year.

Torre on letting Embree face Konerko: His BA against lefties is around .200 and he strikes out about 20% of the time against LHP.

Joe the Sabermetrician, all of a sudden?

16. Josh
      August 10th, 2005 | 10:27 am

Brad,

Do you really have nothing better to do than lurk on Yankee blogs? I’m fairly certain that no Yankee fan on this site is posting on redssoxareidiots.com. Although if we did, Sox fans might need a dictionary to follow the discussion.

17. August 10th, 2005 | 10:34 am

Personally, I live by the bumper sticker that says: “No non-Yankees fan can piss you off without your consent.”

It’s just words guys. Don’t let it ruin your day.

18. Jason O.
      August 10th, 2005 | 10:36 am

SL, Marcus Aurelius would be diasppointed in you:

Bernie’s line drive was bad fortune, that’s all. At that point in the game, the Yanks were in good position to win or tie at least.
      When bad fortune strikes at that moment, the rational person should not dwell on it. The saying goes:

“Bravely, faithfully, perhaps successfully.”

The key is the word “perhaps”…bad fortune can strike at any moment and cause a loss….that’s the tragic nature of baseball, and life in general. I predict the Yanks will still go at their tasks with no less effort.

19. August 10th, 2005 | 10:42 am

Fear not Jason – I have a little Maximus to my personality too. :-)

20. Jason O.
      August 10th, 2005 | 1:13 pm

This site positively reeks of stoic virtue, SL, in this case a reminder was necessary…and spare the pillow!!

21. August 10th, 2005 | 1:46 pm

Think T’Pol will dig me?

22. Marcus
      August 10th, 2005 | 2:18 pm

“…I’ve been posting here, respectfully I may add, for quite some time.”

“…the talk is always spun so out of control it becomes quite the laugh.”

Wait, are you telling me that a website run by a Yankee fan about the Yankees includes optimistic appraisal of the Yankees, while short-changing their competitors?!?!? Man, we really need to get our act together and do it like Red Sox fans do it: detached objective analysis. Otherwise we’ll keep getting (respectfully) laughed at!

23. Brad
      August 10th, 2005 | 8:36 pm

Man, you guys act as if I ran over your puppy.