• August 23rd vs. The Blue Jays

Posted by on August 23rd, 2005 · Comments (8)

If you missed this game, click here to experience what it was like watching it.

A great effort from Leiter. Yankees down by two in the 6th – get one there to cut the lead and another in the 7th to tie. They fall behind again in the 8th by one and come back in the bottom of that frame with one more to tie again (on a big Bernie hit). They allow another in the 9th to fall one back again – and then score two in the bottom of the 9th to win – the first run on a Godzilla HR to tie and then with the GWRBI coming with 2 outs and 2 strikes on the batter (who just happened to be Felix Escalona!).

I did not see the post-game on YES – so, I have no idea if this was confirmed, but, on the replay of the Matsui HR in the 9th to tie the game, when they showed the Yankees dugout, I’m pretty sure that Jeter said to A-Rod “I told you.”

How cool is that?

Comments on August 23rd vs. The Blue Jays

1. jkay
      August 24th, 2005 | 9:19 am

I saw that too. It was not mentioned on the post-game show.

2. Dom
      August 24th, 2005 | 9:37 am

Steve, last nights game was the epitome of the season. Highs and lows, from batter to batter, and inning to inning! Three times, I thought the Yanks had won the game and three times I thought the game was an L. This team drives me nuts! But it was a great win.

3. Jen
      August 24th, 2005 | 9:58 am

It’s weird, they’re not driving me as nuts as they did in the beginning of the year. I guess it’s because they have had a few come-from-behind wins in the past month or so and I’m less likely to write them off. See-saw games like this have become more exciting and less heartburn inducing (for me anyways).

4. August 24th, 2005 | 10:11 am

Funny, when it was 3-2 and then 4-3, I felt the same way – that this, under normal conditions, would be a painful loss – - but, because of all the painful losses already this year, it (the potential loss last night) would have not hurt as much – - – because all the others so far this year had numbed me out.

5. August 24th, 2005 | 10:16 am

//I saw that too. It was not mentioned on the post-game show.//

Thanks! So, my eyes are not as bad as I thought!

6. Shaun P
      August 24th, 2005 | 10:37 am

Steve, it looks like RJ is going to get some help from a guy who used to advise him – Joe Kerrigan:

(Didn’t want to put this under the “Unit and Ryan” thread as I figured no one would see it there)

7. August 24th, 2005 | 11:10 am

Thanks!

8. August 25th, 2005 | 2:07 pm

Just saw this from the AP on this game:

**New York’s 5-4 victory over Toronto on Tuesday night included a comeback not seen in the American League in 56 years.

The Yankees became the first AL team to erase deficits in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings to win in the ninth since the Washington Senators against the St. Louis Browns on May 21, 1949, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

The only other team with a similar comeback victory was the Boston Red Sox in 1938, also against the Browns. **