• Not A No-No To Me

Posted by on August 23rd, 2005 · Comments (6)

The (Wilmington, Del.) News Journal is running an interesting piece on the lack of no-hitters in baseball these days. In the feature, Billy Wagner talks about the June 2003 “no-hitter” against the Yankees:

“It was probably the most exciting moment of my career,” said Wagner, now the Phillies closer. “It was my only appearance against the Yankees, and it finished off a no-hitter. We knew we had done something special.”

I must confess that, for a long time, I took pride (as a Yankees fan) that no one ever threw a no-hitter against the Yankees in my lifetime (which is a long time, as I was born in late 1962).

And, I still take pride in that – because I just cannot consider a six-man “effort” as the same as one pitcher shutting down a team for 9 innings.

Yes, they were held hitless that day. But, no “pitcher” (note, singular) has thrown a no-hitter against them since Hoyt Wilhelm did it in 1958.

Sorry Yankee-haters, it’s still 47 years and counting in my book.

Comments on Not A No-No To Me

1. August 23rd, 2005 | 3:46 pm

Much to my chagrin, I was born in 1953, the year, not that I was born, and I remember that no-hitter!

August 23rd, 2005 | 4:08 pm

================

Why not? The Yanks faced 6(!) pitchers, and couldn’t eke out a meager single.

It’s still difficult to get 27 outs before giving up a hit. Ask Dave Steib.

Matter of fact, I’m reminded of Cone’s first start back from the aneurysm when he tossed 7 no hit innings. Rivera came in and gave up an infield hit.

3. Shaun P.
      August 23rd, 2005 | 4:37 pm

OK SL, if the Astros 6-pitcher effort wasn’t a no-hitter, how about the game Andy Hawkins lost 4-0 on July 1, 1990 against the White Sox? He gave up zero hits, and pitched a complete game – but lost.

FWIW, I actually consider both to be no-hitters. I will never forget watching the defense blow that game for Hawkins. It defined the ’90 season perfectly.

August 23rd, 2005 | 5:10 pm

===========================================

I caught that game rebroadcasted on MLB’s “Baseball’s Greatest Games” series a few years ago.

That game was bizarre.

Remember Hawkins’ post game interview? Even he was stunned. A telling comment was “with the way things are going, this was par for the course”

Gosh that 1990 squad was awful. No power, no patience, no pitching. Mattingly was out most of the year, Bucky was fired (in Boston of all places), Tim Leary went 9-19, and the big offseason acquisition went on the DL with a bum shoulder… Jeez

5. Jen
      August 23rd, 2005 | 11:46 pm

Actually, the Hawkins game isn’t considered a no-hitter because since they played the game in Chicago, he only picthed 8 innings.

August 24th, 2005 | 9:52 am

==========================================

Yes, you are correct. This is due to a ruling by Fay Vincent.

FWIW, Cooperstown still has a ball from Hawkins’ game. From Melido Perez’ game as well.

And Matt Young’s game too. He pitched the first game of a doubleheader in Cleveland. Gave up no hits and lost. Clemens pitched the nightcap and gave up 1 hit.