• New Boston Fan Slogans

Posted by on August 26th, 2005 · Comments (17)

The Boston Herald is running a story where readers submitted their “new” anti-Yankees slogans.

I have to confess that I found “26 rings and a matching choker to go with them” to be very clever.

The one that burns me is “If you can’t win a title, buy one.” Com’on RSN, take those Bosox blinders off for a moment. Didn’t you guys “buy” one in 2004? Are Foulke, Schilling, Manny, & Company lifelong Soxers? In fact, how many players on that squad were drafted and retained by the Red Sox? Further, just what was the Red Sox payroll in 2004? How many teams in baseball had a lower payroll?

Anywho, if Yankees fans were asked to come up with some new anti-Boston slogans, I wonder what they could come up with?

Comments on New Boston Fan Slogans

1. JeremyM
      August 26th, 2005 | 10:10 am

By saying the Yankees choked last season, doesn’t that take away from what the Red Sox accomplished? While I think there is some truth to the choking idea (choking is probably too harsh of a word, pressing is more like it), I think it had more to do with the determination and ability of Boston and less to do with the Yankees choking. Just my two cents.

2. August 26th, 2005 | 10:18 am

JeremyM – I tried that with a Sox fan earlier this year. I said something like “Call it a choke if you want – but, then, it was handed to you, it’s the only way you got it, you didn’t win, etc.” But, they would have none of it. They said that Yankees fans like to point to the choke of 1978, and Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, etc., and mention how the Sox choked and the Yankees won at the same time.

I had to agree. So, we’re stuck with that label for 2004.

August 26th, 2005 | 10:22 am

Stolen from “Casablanca” and twisted for me own gain..

Sox Fan: You despise me, don’t you?
      Yankees Fan: If I gave you any thought I probably would.

4. August 26th, 2005 | 10:34 am

The Red Sox were the highest salary team to ever win the World Series. Not that I don’t want us to break that record this year, of course. But, that won’t even change.

5. Bozo the Homey
      August 26th, 2005 | 11:53 am

How about something simple:

Won the WS, still bitter.

6. Nick
      August 26th, 2005 | 12:38 pm

Bozo, I like it.

How about the politically-charged:

“The Boston Red Sox: The last major league baseball team to integrate”

7. August 26th, 2005 | 1:09 pm

You guys are gonna love the T-shirt I have planned for when the Sox don’t repeat this year.

8. rbj
      August 26th, 2005 | 2:12 pm

Nice World Series win, now try and win the division too.

9. hah
      August 26th, 2005 | 4:35 pm

anyone see that jackass manny ramirez jog to first base 2 games ago? they should just make a shirt with a picture of manny botching a routine fly ball and have it say “manny being manny”

10. brad
      August 26th, 2005 | 6:21 pm

Hah – remind me again who leads the AL in outfield assists and has an excellent fielding percentage and error count this year?

11. hah
      August 26th, 2005 | 7:13 pm

man ram is terrible at fielding i know you cant be seriously trying to praise his outfield play………….he is downright poor and his fielding percentage and outfield assists are high because he misplays so many balls that dont go down in the boxscores as errors. he would be a dh if david ortiz on the team.

August 26th, 2005 | 9:29 pm

This season: .285-33-112 (.384/.587) (OBP/SLG)
      Career: .314-423-1382 (.409/.598)

Manny may be a space cadet, but who cares when you put up #’s like that?

13. Jen
      August 26th, 2005 | 11:18 pm

If Manny didn’t play half his games in front of a handball wall, I’d like to see how many assists he gets.

14. August 26th, 2005 | 11:44 pm

FWIW, I’ve always believed, that when he’s not taking a piss break in the wall, or listening to his sunglasses with the built in iPod, or fixing the rubber band that holds back his “hair,” Manny does an adequate job in the field.

Of course, this is only applicable for those games where he has decided that he doesn’t need the day off.

15. Jen
      August 27th, 2005 | 1:10 am

I’m still waiting for the day he trips over his pajamas running after a ball.

August 27th, 2005 | 9:47 am

==========================

While in Cleveland

1993 – 0
      1994 – 7
      1995 – 3
      1996 -19
      1997 -10
      1998 -10
      1999 – 7
      2000 – 7

17. August 27th, 2005 | 10:09 am

It’s pretty common baseball knowledge that guys with great arms do not get a lot of assists.