• Mark Bellhorn

Posted by on August 29th, 2005 · Comments (6)

FOX Sports is running a story that reports recently DFA’ed Mark Bellhorn will sign with the Yankees:

Mark Bellhorn, one of the heroes of the Red Sox’s 2004 postseason run, will join the rival Yankees once he clears waivers at 1 p.m. Tuesday, FOXSports.com has learned.

Bellhorn, a switch-hitter, will give the Yankees infield depth and a left-handed bat off the bench.

Why? Bellhorn’s only skill is mastering the Sonny Crockett beard. And, on the Yankees, that skill is not needed.

Yes, he can play some second and some third in a back-up capacity. But, he’s not a glove-stud. And, he’s only been a decent offensive performer twice in his life – last year and 2002.

Could it be possible that this is just playing keep-away from the A’s?

Comments on Mark Bellhorn

1. August 29th, 2005 | 11:24 pm

He’d be better than Escalona by quite a bit.

2. Nick
      August 30th, 2005 | 12:46 am

Yeah, I think that can only be viewed as an upgrade over Escalona. If it means the departure of Womack that’s even better. Don’t see a reason to complain on this one.

A-Rod just hit a shot!

3. Jen
      August 30th, 2005 | 12:57 am

I can’t look at a picture of Bellhorn without thinking of Rob Schneider.

4. Nick
      August 30th, 2005 | 1:03 am

I can’t look at a picture of Bellhorn without thinking lonely serial killer. Still, I think it’s a good move.

5. August 30th, 2005 | 7:50 am

I dunno, in a pinch, close game, in the 9th with runner on, I’d take a GB to Escalona at SS over a GB to Bellhorn at SS – anyday.

August 30th, 2005 | 11:29 am

I dunno, in a pinch, close game, in the 9th with runner on, I’d rather see Bellhorn at bat than Escalona…

I don’t think Bellhorn is going to be a defensive replacement, I think he’s going to be a caddy for Cano, ARod, and maybe Jeter.

A low risk investment for a switch hitter with a little pop.