• Felix Hernandez

Posted by on August 31st, 2005 · Comments (10)

Just some perspective on the Venezuelan Sidd Finch, Felix Hernandez, that the Yankees are facing tonight. Right now, he’s just one year older than Danny Almonte.

It’s too bad that Ruben Sierra is not playing today. Big Rube made his big league debut less than 2 months after Hernandez was born.

When I think of this game tonight, why do I have the feeling that it’s going to be like something that I once saw before?

Comments on Felix Hernandez

1. Nick
      August 31st, 2005 | 11:54 am

I’ve had the chance to watch King Felix in action (thanks to my cousin’s sweet MLB extra cable package) and it’s pretty scary that he’s only 19. This guy is worth the hype like Lebron was worth the hype. Anyone who has a chance to stay up into the wee hours of the night has to check this one out. I’m hoping Randy gives the kid a lesson Mr. Miagi style. But it’s unclear how much more this kid needs to learn.

2. Shaun P.
      August 31st, 2005 | 12:08 pm

I’m expecting a nail-biter of a game, that the Yanks win 2-1 against Seattle’s bullpen – having made King Felix throw too many pitches for him to pitch a CG.

I am definitely staying up to watch this one.

August 31st, 2005 | 12:36 pm

I’m looking forward to tonight’s game

4. Joel
      August 31st, 2005 | 1:06 pm

I rememeber that game that The Bird pitched against us. I think it was a “Monday Night Baseball” game. Thurman didn’t play that night.

Ken Holtzman was a good pitcher, but he is not Randy Johnson.

5. Joel
      August 31st, 2005 | 1:15 pm

Come to think of it Steve, I may have confused the game you were talking about with another game on Monday night, 6-20-77, when The Bird beat Don Gullett 2-1. He was awesome that night.

No, we do not want a repeat of that again.

6. Josh
      August 31st, 2005 | 1:26 pm

Let us hope for Felix’s sake that his career last a bit longer than the Bird’s. And that he loses tonight. Also in reference to Danny Almonte: Felix looks like he’s 19 going on 30.

7. August 31st, 2005 | 1:36 pm

Joel – it was Kenny H vs. The Bird on MNB on ABC. Bob U and Cosell did the game, IIRC.

August 31st, 2005 | 2:32 pm

Ya, they play that game on Classic Sports every so often.

The crowd was hot that night. Tiger Stadium was packed.

I miss Tiger Stadium.

I haven’t seen antics on the mound like the Bird since Pascual Perez was suspended. I guess Pedro comes fairly close, he looks like someone who’s having fun out there. Good to see, IMO

9. August 31st, 2005 | 3:10 pm

If I were a betting man, I’d bet the over on the runs scored for the game. Games like this NEVER turn out like advertised, with a couple of notable exceptions (remember that Mussina – Cone matchup back a few years ago, when Cone was a Red Sox?). I’d bet that the final score is going to be something along the lines of 8-5, with neither pitcher figuring significantly in the decision.

10. Don
      August 31st, 2005 | 5:32 pm

The way RJ has pitched this season, he’ll make the ‘over’ all by himself. I need to see otherwise, but have little faith in him.