• They Must Think They’re In!

Posted by on August 31st, 2005 · Comments (13)

I just got the bill for my 2005 Yankees post-season tickets. The price always goes up.

Last year, for my seats, it was:

LDS: $65 per seat
    LCS: $90 per seat
    WS: $185 per seat
    - – with a $6 processing charge to be added to each ticket.

Looks like, this year, they’ve “done away” with the processing chargeright, do the math – but, now, for 2005, for my same seats, the post-season prices are:

LDS: $71 per seat
    LCS: $106 per seat
    WS: $191 per seat

And, I betcha there’s some convenience fee or something to be added when you try and pay for them on-line.

In 2001 and 2002, the prices for these same seats were:

LDS: $45 per seat
    LCS: $70 per seat
    WS: $175 per seat

It’s interesting that the LDS and LCS are up 50% from just three years ago and the WS is almost the same.

In the end, what can you do? If you want to go, you have to pay.

Comments on They Must Think They’re In!

1. Jen
      August 31st, 2005 | 3:56 pm

Doesn’t MLB have a hand in setting the prices for the post-season?

2. Shaun P.
      August 31st, 2005 | 4:09 pm

Like coffee and sneakers, as long as many many people want them, and will pay whatever the price is, they will keep raising the price.

I don’t understand paying lots of $$ for coffee and sneakers, but I sure understand it for baseball tickets. I’ve never lived close enough to NYC to justify getting any kind of season ticket package. But if I ever did live close enough, I’d sign up and pay in a heartbeat.

August 31st, 2005 | 4:16 pm

Rule of thumb was that you’ll pay double what you pay for regular season tickets, increasing per round.

I haven’t gone to a postseason game since the 2003 WS, which I got through Ticketmaster.

Given what’s being charged, I may sit this year out. I have a lot of good memories of postseason games I’ve attended (by far the best game I attended was gm 2 of the 1995 ALDS), but prices are getting out of hand.

I have an associate that comes across tickets every so often, and you should have seen what people were willing to pay. He made a killing off of gm 7 in 2003 & 2004.

4. August 31st, 2005 | 4:17 pm

Jen – I dunno? Think the Red Sox will charge the same as the A’s?

5. August 31st, 2005 | 4:27 pm

//I have a lot of good memories of postseason games I’ve attended (by far the best game I attended was gm 2 of the 1995 ALDS), but prices are getting out of hand.//

I’ve been lucky and unlucky with post-season games – dating back to 1977. I have stories about the game where McRae killed Randolph in the LCS, Reggie’s 3-HRs in 1977, Game 6 of the 2000 ALCS, Game 5 of the 2001 ALDS, Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS and Game 6 of the 2004 ALCS – among others.

One day, I should do a post on them!

6. Jason O.
      August 31st, 2005 | 4:44 pm

Remember “elasticity of demand”?? The demand for Yanks playoff tix is highly inelastic, i.e. demand does not waver with changes in price….

Strangely, demand is usually only highly inelastic for two categories in general: basic necessities like food, water, electricity, gasoline, etc. and also luxury goods: high-end luxury cars, diamonds, and Yanks playoff tix.

7. billyfrombelfast
      August 31st, 2005 | 4:47 pm

Jason, playoff tickets are actually in the *necessity* column of the people we share our season tickets with . . . .

8. Don
      August 31st, 2005 | 5:28 pm

You can always sell ‘em for a profit.

9. Jen
      August 31st, 2005 | 6:53 pm

Got my bill today too.

For the bleachers it’s:
      $20
      $56
      $71

Steve, I notice that the Loge Box and Loge MVP box are the same for the LCS and WS but the MVPs are $10 more for the LDS. Kind of odd, no?

Yeah, looks like they added that $6 charge right into the price of the ticket. My strip/ticket price is listed as $502 but my total price for 2 seats is $1136.

10. September 1st, 2005 | 1:08 am

Odd? Considering that my seats *are* Loge MVP Boxes, it’s more like “It figures!” :-)

11. brad
      September 1st, 2005 | 9:40 am

Yeah, the same goes for the Fens. My guess is, the LCS seats are more expensive due to the fact that for the past couple years, it’s been so much more exciting to the region, no? Either place would be filled to capacity no matter what, but when we know who meets there, people will pay through the roof to get them. I know I would.
      Last years price for game 6 for me and my girl…1050.00
      Well worth every cent, however, I was a little bit miffed after the first three games.

12. Jen
      September 1st, 2005 | 2:11 pm

There’s a $10 convenience fee to pay online.

13. September 1st, 2005 | 3:31 pm