• August 31st @ The Mariners

Posted by on September 1st, 2005 · Comments (16)

This one was easy to stay up for – and worth it. The Big Unit shoots down King Felix. For those keeping track, this is two gems in a row for Randy Johnson after his meeting with Doc K. And, with A-Rod making great plays, and liners being caught, I really thought we might see a no-no tonight. In any event, the “W” is the important thing.

And, to be fair, Felix Hernandez looked great tonight. He might be the next Pedro Martinez – or he could be the next Dwight Gooden? Or, he may be the next Roger Clemens – or he could be the next Steve Avery? There’s no way to call it – but, I know every team in the majors right now would love to have him and take their chances.

While I have no way to prove this, I called the Sheffield homer. On the pitch before it, Hernandez came up and in to Gary and Sheff shot him that look. I said to myself – here comes the bomb now, and it did.

I wonder if anyone else thought what I was thinking when that fan ran on the field. Did Kay and Justice on YES not speculate that those were the cremated remains of a person – just because they didn’t want to go there? (I’m not saying that I know they were ashes – I’m just guessing at this moment.)

It’s great to hear that El Brujo is joining the team tomorrow. He could be a sleeper addition to the post-season roster.

Lastly, tough night for Tino, huh? A whiff, two DPs and an “E” on a pop-up. Not exactly clip material for his Yankeeography.

Comments on August 31st @ The Mariners

1. zgveritas
      September 1st, 2005 | 1:50 am

WCBS postgame said that Tino was replaced by Giambi at 1B because of an injury @ his ribs.

The announcers clearly felt the Big Unit’s body language was that of somebody who felt good about his stuff. Isn’t Seattle know as a poor offensive park?

PS I called the Cano HR as I followed the game on MLB.com.

2. Don
      September 1st, 2005 | 2:58 am

Yanks offered Felix $500,000 but he signed with the Mariners. He says he went with them because he was a fan of Freddy Garcia and that he loves the Seattle fans.

Of course the Mariners gave him $710,000.

3. Don
      September 1st, 2005 | 2:59 am

BTW…… I called the Tino error……….

September 1st, 2005 | 7:43 am

I thought the ashes were someone’s last request meself…

5. Alex Belth
      September 1st, 2005 | 8:54 am

After Tino whiffed his first time up I thought, you know, he doesn’t have a chance against Hernandez, but Cano is just the type of guy to pop a dinger. I loved the basket catch the fan in the organge shirt made on Cano’s dinger too. Say Hey!

6. September 1st, 2005 | 9:48 am

I know what you mean about calling home runs, I do it as well. It makes my wife nuts. I called Lawton’s homer the other night. If you are in tune with the game it can happen, and it’s fun!

7. Jason O.
      September 1st, 2005 | 9:59 am

I’m going to allow everyone to blaspheme, i.e., criticize Tino, because I realize that you’re all happy about last night’t win, and you perhaps have to work out a little nervous frustration.

If this continues, however, there will be consequences.

8. September 1st, 2005 | 10:09 am

Hey, no one is ripping Tino. He’s a big part of the team – and, if they win this thing, he’s a big reason for it. I was just ribbin’ on *one” bad day that he had – that’s all.

9. Jason O.
      September 1st, 2005 | 10:21 am

Even SL knows he will not be spared from the inquisition that will result from widespread heresy, i.e., criticism of Tino!!

Feeling a bit 15th Century this morning…..

To continue the theme, It’s the members of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays that must be publicly flogged on the streets of St. Petersburg for blowing the last 2 games.

10. September 1st, 2005 | 10:29 am

Good game, good game.

Good call. :)

11. hopbitters
      September 1st, 2005 | 10:35 am

It was definitely a nice showing by the kid, but alas, like all of my fantasy pitchers, he couldn’t buy run support, though in this case they had the excuse of Randy being on. (DL) Sheets, Santana, Patterson…it’s getting ugly. Anyway, the difference in this game to me was A-Rod. In a pitchers duel, one play can make the game and A-Rod made a bunch good to great plays, including picking up Tino.

When I go, my ashes are going directly into the bottom of the grill, where ashes belong.

12. September 1st, 2005 | 10:50 am

Agreed on Tampa – I thought they would show more this series.

13. Josh
      September 1st, 2005 | 11:54 am

FYI, if we call up Mendoza today he will not be eligible for the postseason roster. Only those on the roster prior to Sept. 1 are eligible. And BTW, I called Kevin Millar’s HR last night. I also called Mark McGwire’s 62nd and Hank Aaron’s 715th. You’ll just have to take my word for it.

14. September 1st, 2005 | 12:26 pm

Josh – he can take Pavano’s spot. You can sub for DL’ed players.

15. rbj
      September 1st, 2005 | 1:28 pm

So then we get another slot due to Kevin Brown? (Nice to know he’s good for something.)
      And I called Ruth’s called shot. So what if I was born decades later.

16. Don
      September 1st, 2005 | 2:32 pm

I called A-Rod’s next HR. And Giambi’s next two. And……