• September 6th vs. The Devil Rays

Posted by on September 6th, 2005 · Comments (10)

scream.jpg

There is no pain, you are receding
    A distant ship smoke on the horizon
    You are coming through in waves
    Your lips move but I can’t hear what you’re saying
    When I was a child I had a fever
    My hands felt just like two balloons
    Now I’ve got that feeling once again
    I can’t explain, you would not understand
    This is not how I am
    I have become comfortably numb

You-Gee-El-Why. Actually, it’s worse. It’s Fugly – yes, with a capital “F” baby.

I saw “The Joe Torre Report” on the YES Postgame – where he was asked what happened on the Cano error in the 9th. Joe’s answer: “He just booted it. No reason.”

This made me remember what it was like when my daughter was going through the terrible two’s. The word “No!” became one of her favorite words – and, one day I decided to try and reason with her on such an offering. It went like this:

Her: No!
    Me: Why not?
    Her: Not!
    Me: Honey, “not” is not a reason. You need a reason.
    Her: No reason!!!
    And then she stormed off.

Yes, it’s true, the best Torre can do after a disgusting game like this is apply the logic of a two-year-old – in terms of an explanation.

Then again, I guess he just can’t come out and say “We suck” on the network owned by his employer, huh?

Comments on September 6th vs. The Devil Rays

1. JohnnyC
      September 6th, 2005 | 11:15 pm

and we’re actually having a debate on whether Joe Torre has managed well this season? A debate? you know, with two opposing arguments? the only people who think Torre has managed well this year are Yankee-haters.

2. Don
      September 7th, 2005 | 1:53 am

And what exactly was he supposed to say? That Cano is a lousy player, a fool who will be shot at sunrise?

But then I did not watch nor listen to the game itself, why bother as the team sucks against the Devil Rays this year. I did tune in the post mortem…. errrr…. post game o radio and YES.

As I said after they lost two of four to the mediocre Mariners, they will not win the AL East this year. It is over and done with and frankly I don’t care if they win the WC. Wasn’t it 3-0 with RJ on the mound? What a waste and he’s signed for two more years……..

3. September 7th, 2005 | 8:08 am

Johnson went 6.1 and gave up 3. I’d take that every time. When you have Jeter, Matsui, Sheffield, A-Rod and Giambi in your line-up, and you’re facing Casey Fossum, you should be able to win when your SP goes 6+ and only allows 3.

The Yankees played this game like they had their heads up their asses. Bad, no, make that terrible, baserunning and poor fielding is what cost them this game. They looked like a team that had no clue as to how a winning team should be playing at this time of the year.

4. James
      September 7th, 2005 | 9:39 am

It sucked, but hey, still leading in the wildcard and if we get to the playoffs, at least we know we won’t have to play the D-Rays

5. September 7th, 2005 | 10:26 am

Agree with Don’s first paragraph.

6. Josh
      September 7th, 2005 | 10:26 am

The Yanks have played many games like this one this season, esp. agst the Rays. But you can’t get so overwrought and melodramatic about every loss. The Yankees will be fine, they have played mostly very good ball for the past two months and I fully expect them to make the playoffs. And FWIW, Robby Cano did not lose this game by himself – there’s plenty of blame to go around. Neither is it fair to constantly kill RJ. Wishing that he was his old dominant self is not helpful – this is the guy we have and he’s still overall been our most reliable pitcher.

7. Jason O.
      September 7th, 2005 | 10:35 am

Fortitudine Vincimus
      (By endurance we conquer)

8. Paul in Boston
      September 7th, 2005 | 1:17 pm

As I posted over at Bronx Banter, I went to the Sox game last night and watched Ortiz win it in the bottom of the ninth, after Olerud saved several runs with his nifty defensive work at 1st. Then I returned to me car just in time for Cano’s error.

“Comfortably numb” indeed. I’m not in general a big Pink Floyd fan, but I do love that song, and it fits right here.

9. JohnnyC
      September 7th, 2005 | 5:36 pm

I’m waiting for the time when Torre has ARod bunt Matsui over to second to allow Giambi to get a 2-out RBI against a lefty reliever who he never touches. You laugh. Can you guarantee it won’t happen? After all, it’s the stretch run and all Torre teams have to manufacture runs, you know grind it. Does it matter that no one on the team can bunt and that only 2 players possess better than average speed? No. What you lookin’ at? 4 rings, baby!

10. Don
      September 7th, 2005 | 5:37 pm

I have to disagree, three runs in 6 1/3 innings from RJ is unacceptable in the September stretch, pathetic in fact. The Joe Torre apologia for RJ is tired long ago.

Anyway, more over-burden on the bullpen. Over the course of a season those 1/3 of an inning add up to 54 innings on the pen. I believe that we are seeing the results of too many innings on the pen with the inconsistency from many of them.

Give me 2/3 of an inning more from the starters in 2006 and that would reduce the pen’s load by 108 innings over 162 games, a huge difference.