• September 9th vs. The Red Sox

Posted by on September 9th, 2005 · Comments (7)

When it started to look like this was going to be a win for the Yankees, some lyrics from an old Nik Kershaw song, started to play in my head:

…Even if it was for just one day
    And wouldn’t it be good if we could wish ourselves away

Wouldn’t it be good to be on your side
    The grass is always greener over there
    Wouldn’t it be good if we could live without a care

But, first I had to survive that scary top of the 7th before the music started to play. Related, who was the last sure-handed Yankees 2B anyway? Pat Kelly in 1993?

Anyway, even if it’s for just one day, it’s nice to have something positive happening in Yankeeland. At this stage, I’ll take it.

Lucky Charm Small comes through again – albeit with the assistance of some line-drive outs. And, it was fun to see the Yankees play pinball, with 2 outs in the 6th, off the Sox pen-bookend knuckle-draggers. And, kudos to Bernie for cracking 2,200 hits tonight. Only Gehrig, Ruth, Mantle and DiMaggio have more in pinstripes – simply amazing company.

OK, now, on to two gripes on this game. One on a player from each team.

First, Matt Lawton. My gosh, with the leather he is The Butcher of the Bronx in the OF. And, as a Yankee, he’s something like 4 for 34. Is there no one else that they can play instead of him? At this stage, I’d rather see Mike Vento out there.

Now, Jason Varitek – who I know is the patron saint for RSN. However, must he channel that Carlton Fisk “I invented this game” arrogance all the time? Man, he plays that too thick. It’s interesting that someone like A-Rod gets slammed for supposedly being a phony with the way that he resonates but no one ever says a word like that about Varitek.

Comments on September 9th vs. The Red Sox

1. Jen
      September 10th, 2005 | 1:10 am

Welcome back Steve.

What did Varitek do tonight that was such a put off? I mean, he always ticks me off, but was there something specifically assholish that was done or was it just his normal arrogant demeanor?

2. September 10th, 2005 | 9:24 am

You mean “The Masked Man”? :)

Pat Kelly was not sure handed.

3. September 10th, 2005 | 10:24 am

//just his normal arrogant demeanor//
      that’s it! :-)

4. JeremyM
      September 10th, 2005 | 10:43 am

I’m not a big Varitek fan, but what I can’t stand more is the announcers ranting and raving cosntantly about how he’s the MVP of the Red Sox, and the Sox will tell you that to a man, blah blah blah. And how A-Rod is your MVP if you go by stats (you know, those things that win ball games), but if you go by the “undefinable” crap, Varitek is the MVP.

September 11th, 2005 | 10:38 am

Re: Mat Lawton; are you suprised?

Re: Sure handed 2b; Luis Sojo perhaps? (:

Re: ‘Tek; never paid him too much mind…

6. Bozo
      September 12th, 2005 | 11:32 am

We sound just like Sox fans do when they talk about Jeter. Strange how these things happen. Varitek is a very good player who plays the game better than just about anyone else,like Jeter, is it a coincidence that they are both the team captains. I would go on to say that we hate Varitek because he is good and always seems to come up clutch against the Yankees, even against Mo Rivera sometimes. Is he arrogant? Maybe, I don’t really know, but for the first time in their careers I’d rather have him than Posada who just seems to have gotten old, or just doesn’t seem to care out there. Don’t get me wrong I love Jorgie, but he’s been pretty damn bad this year, for him at least. No one questions whether Varitek cares, we know he does, is that what we see as arrogance from him? Or is it that after 7 years of fearing or expecting the worst against the Yankees, he decides to hate and have disdain for them rather than give them too much respect. Maybe the Yankees need to be a little less respectful and show more hate and disdain a la Randy Johnson yesterday? Worked for him, no?

September 12th, 2005 | 2:54 pm

============

As a player who was “too cool for his own good,” that comment really bugs me. Just because I don’t act like a 2 year old when I make an out, does not mean I don’t care. As a player WYSIWYG. No fist pumps, no histrionics, no nothing. It’s not my thing.

That worked for some, it didn’t work for me. I’d rather kick @ss and take names, and do it quietly. Like I’ve done it before. Like it’s routine. I didn’t need to show “you” or the world what I did. The personal satisfaction that came from a job well done was and is good enough.

I didn’t need to act out or be outspoken. My talent spoke for me.