• September 10th vs. The Red Sox

Posted by on September 10th, 2005 · Comments (8)

Ah, the final nail.

So, the Yankees season ends at 141 games.

This one reminds me so much of Game 6 of the 2004 ALCS. Curt Schilling comes back from the grave, again, and stuffs it to the Yankees in their own park. Watch, tomorrow will be just like Game 7 of the ALCS last year. Boston will be partying by the 5th inning.

Actually, this game is the story of the Yankees 2005 season. They never win the games that they are supposed to win, according to all the stats coming into the game – instead, they tank it, and they tank it as bad as they possibly can tank it.

In the spectrum of measuring baseball teams, there are:

*Great teams.
    *Strong teams.
    *Good teams.
    *Almost good teams.
    *OK teams.
    *Below average teams.
    *Poor teams.
    *Bad teams.
    *Terrible teams.

The 2005 Yankees, in the end, are not a great team, or a strong team, or a good team. On a daily basis, they fall somewhere between “almost good” and “terrible.”

Today, as this is penned, it’s the 9th inning of the game today, and, I can safely say that they were a terrible team this afternoon – at a time where they could least afford it.

Too bad that I no longer follow the NFL. It’s perfect timing, today, to close the Yankees season and start following something else. Thousands are probably planning a switch at this moment.

Comments on September 10th vs. The Red Sox

1. September 10th, 2005 | 4:21 pm

Not. Over. Yet. :)

2. Shaun P.
      September 10th, 2005 | 4:51 pm

Welcome back, Steve! Sounds like you folks had a nice time in Cooperstown – glad to hear it!

Patrick, you’re right – its not over yet. But if Flaherty, Sierra, Lawton and Bernie keep showing up in the lineup at the same time – it will be over soon.

3. September 10th, 2005 | 9:18 pm

Thanks – I hope to have more Cooperstown pictures up in the next few days.

I wish I shared the optimism of you guys. But, the way this team plays, tells me they’re a loser.

4. KJC
      September 11th, 2005 | 12:25 am

How can a team in 2nd place & in the wild card race be between “almost good” and “terrible”? They’re at *least* a “good” team (though a $200+ MM payroll should buy you more than that). Yeah, they played liked crap today, but the Sox played worse on Friday…

5. Don
      September 11th, 2005 | 2:23 am

As I said a week ago, division over.

Now a scramble for the WC, which I doubt they’ll achieve.

This team lacks. Lacks chemistry, ball$, whatever. Last years disgrace in the ALCS and this season all say the same thing. No leadership. Perhaps the acquisition of Alex Rodriguez cut a hole in Jeter’s lead role and has made this untenable. That and Sheffield’s bad persona are two factors, IMHO.

Trading Alex Rodriguez in the off season is a starting point.

6. September 11th, 2005 | 9:47 am

//How can a team in 2nd place & in the wild card race be between “almost good” and “terrible”? //

KJC – I’m going by the way they play, not the standings. They’re lucky that the Jays, O’s etc., stink. Or else they would be in 4th place, not 2nd.

Don – A-Rod can never be traded. And, I’m not sure that I would agree that he’s the problem.

September 11th, 2005 | 10:43 am

================================

Actually, last ALCS was “no hitting.” Sox pitching shut down the Yankee bats.

BTW, anyone as annoyed as I have been the last few days WRT Yankee at-bats? TAKE A PITCH dagnabit!

8. JohnnyC
      September 11th, 2005 | 12:03 pm

the swinging at first pitches points to 2 things: 1) they’re tired, it’s been a long, long season, especially since they’ve been chasing instead of leading and 2) as much as I love Mattingly, it is never…never…never a good strategy to swing early because “they’re trying to stay ahead of the batters.” I’m sure much of this is in response to a counter-strategy of many pitchers against protracted at bats. But, it’s also emblematic of Mattingly’s own hitting style and the fact that he was a great 2-strike hitter is the only thing that prevented him from being an anti-Moneyball exemplar. Here’s a move by George that Yankees fans ought to have been more upset with. He’s simply not the right hitting coach for a team built on patience and power.